***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I just got a new brush from AE and the exact same thing happened to me too. I thought something was wrong, and it's interesting to see how many other people here had the same problem. I'll try cleaning it with a little dish soap like someone else said earlier.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Speaking of brushes, I am replacing two old brushes... I have one Saphir brush I use with browns that I will keep. Do you guys have separate brushes for color 8 and black? I have always used the same brush for those two colors. And do people like the Alden branded brushes (I am sure they are just rebranded from another company).

FWIW, when it comes to polish, Saphir cordovan color 8 and black creams are good, but I prefer Alden's brown paste wax on cigar over the brown Saphir cordovan cream, it does a great job. The color 8 and black Alden paste waxes are pretty good as well.

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

I use different brushes for #8 and black. I like these big ones from FootFitter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q7PGZG/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

^^ I use the same brushes for #8 and black shell if I am only Mac'ing and not using polish. If I ever do use polish on my shell, I would use a different brush for #8 and black.

I currently use the Allen Edmonds brushes. I haven't seen any of the hazing other members have commented about.

6. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I have different brushes for each cordovan color shoe I have. I have always had different brushes for black and color 8 cordovan shoes. I got brushed dedicated to each color after the first pair of whiskey cordovan shoes I have darkened considerably after I first brushed it with the brush I had used on my color 8 shoes. That brush had remnants of color 8 paste on it from its use on the color 8 shoes, which transferred to the whiskey shoes. This would obviously happen if one things about it, and I felt silly for it not having occurred to me until after I had done

Obviously, the implicit assumption behind my choice is that I don't want darker cordovan colors affecting the shade of the lighter-colored cordovan shoes. If that does not matter to you, then you may make different brush choices.

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

8. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

and as this guy once said...."You know the Germans make good stuff"
    [​IMG]

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Does anyone know if these are longer (the handle) then the Allen Edmonds brushes? It never fails...everytime I brush my shoes I take the brush a bit too far past the shoe and scuff my shoe with the handle. LOL. Must just be the natural frequency of my brush movement. Maybe a little longer brush would give me a little safety net.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

But will they make me say "WOW" everytime I brush my shoes?

11. cgul629

cgul629 Member

Yes, those jumbo brushes from Foot Fitter are larger than the AE brushes. 8 inches versus 6 for the AE ones, I believe. I have two of the FF brushes and am very happy with them.

12. 89826

89826 Senior member

Source for ptb's in mocha kid suede? I have just recently figured out how nice that stuff is. Bought tassel loafers from Brooks and nst's from North River (!)

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Yeah - I have always used a separate brush for browns (both cigar and ravello). Using the same brush for black and color 8 is a remnant of some advice I got a couple of years back to use black polish very occasionally on color 8 (which some people still do occasionally). But I have enough of black and color 8 now that separate brushes make sense.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I was in a rush the other day and accidentally used my #8 brush on my Ravello chukkas and got some visible transfer. I was pretty pissed at myself about it. I am hopeful this will come off over time.

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I don't know about you, Ryden, but I'd be so mad at myself about that I'd have to sell those 'stained' Ravello Chukkas.
    What is your paypal?? LOL LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.