• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This batch of Ravello is certainly darker, but has some really nice variation to it. It is almost like a hybrid of Ravello and the Marlowe. I will try and get some better pics up this weekend.

Promise to self --- I will one day own some ravello shell.....Awesome color, rydenfan

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes kwhitelaw and rydenfan

Roggie - I kind of had the same type of question in my head for the past few days. I bought some seconds last week of the #8 captoe in dark eggplant with black welt and was wondering if i don't shine them up, will they look more casual to go with my jeans and khaki daily wear. I think if they had a lighter welt they would have a more casual feel. I can only find some staining issues on the inside toongue and the lining of the tongue doesnt cover all the shell. That may be normal, otherwise they seem to be pretty 1st rate shoes.

Reverso - what was the sole on the dark suede plain toe boot? Kinda what i was looking for when I bought the #8's last week.

beautiful pics this week. I have really enjoyed seeing all the new aquisitions

all the best

DuckOB

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Ravello certainly is dark.

One shoe seems more reddish and to have a lot more variation. I need to think on these.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the Harlech, this thread may be of interest.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/362536/crockett-jones-modified-brown-cordovan-harlech-mto

If you like the country boot style with blobby lasts that make the barrie seem sleek in comparison then Tricker's are for you. The AS country boots aren't bad but the country boot is Tricker's bread and butter. Tricker's also do sleeker boots like the Harlech but they're not usually standard production models. The Jermyn store might have some special make up though.

I'd personally concentrate on C&J but that's because my closet is already full of Tricker's.

Pricewise, don't forget to do whatever it is you have to do to be able to claim back VAT which is like 20%.

Very interesting thread there. and thanks for your input, zippyh. I hear you about the VAT. I'm sure this is another whole world from Aldens. I just want some variety...

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hadn't seen the newer shade on a chukka. have to admit, I like the lighter shade for that makeup, so I'll be waiting for the future.

also, I find my self preferring the antique edging to the brown edging, all tho both pickups this week are dark <shrug> no choice

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kwhite: I definitely agree that I prefer the light edging. I had the chance to pick up a pair of Ravello LWBs with antique edging when I got my Cigar LWBs (also antique) but, with how dark the Ravello is now, they would've looked damn near the same shoe.

Also, hopefully this photo shows the color difference a bit:

The right shoe (on the left in the photo) has a red translucent look going on in the toe area. The other shoe is more of a solid brown. Am I just being nuts here, or is there a noticeable difference? And, if so, will the difference become less noticeable with time?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kwhite: I definitely agree that I prefer the light edging. I had the chance to pick up a pair of Ravello LWBs with antique edging when I got my Cigar LWBs (also antique) but, with how dark the Ravello is now, they would've looked damn near the same shoe.

Also, hopefully this photo shows the color difference a bit:

The right shoe (on the left in the photo) has a red translucent look going on in the toe area. The other shoe is more of a solid brown. Am I just being nuts here, or is there a noticeable difference? And, if so, will the difference become less noticeable with time?

My anatomica seconds were seconds for this reason I believe. After maybe 30 wears its still apparent. Bugs me a little and if they were firsts I'd want an exchange

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank You, it's harder to tell in doors as the lighting could play a strong roll. They do however appear to be different shades. I would keep them grails come around only so often.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone that has both ravello and cigar LWB, I prefer the dark brown edge on the ravello. (A) It makes the ravello more versatile in that it can be dressed up; the light edge pretty much makes it one dimensional... casual to business casual. (B) you would in fact have approximately the same shoe as the Cigar with antique edge. If I could only have one or the other, I might have different preference.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I agree with your disagreement! As you know, I've got both the 9015 & 9016, I'm actually wearing the 9016 at the moment.

While I think the 9015 is the better choice for a one-Balmoral-only shoe wardrobe because it works well with both navy and charcoal, my favorite business attire combo is a solid charcoal suit with a shiny black balmoral.

I find my self preferring the antique edging to the brown edging, all tho both pickups this week are dark <shrug> no choice
Kwhite: I definitely agree that I prefer the light edging.
Am I just being nuts here, or is there a noticeable difference?
There is a noticeable difference.

+1 on Ravello with Antique Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads