• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howell31

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am considering placing an order for the Balckbird Foss Tugger in Black and am wondering if anyone who has a pair could give me some info and/or a fit-pic. I thought it was better to come here than the "should I or shouldn't I buy this thread", hope that's okay.

For example, one thing I thought of is that the Foss Tugger might be less versatile than the PT boot, in that the latter could be dressed up easier whereas the Tugger might be too rugged to wear with slacks or something. Just a hypothesis, really I don't know. Any expert opinions out there?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
They are the Aldens for Orvis.

Oh, the aviator boot! I forgot about those
blush.gif

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Howell31
Hello guys, I am considering placing an order for the Balckbird Foss Tugger in Black and am wondering if anyone who has a pair could give me some info and/or a fit-pic. I thought it was better to come here than the "should I or shouldn't I buy this thread", hope that's okay. For example, one thing I thought of is that the Foss Tugger might be less versatile than the PT boot, in that the latter could be dressed up easier whereas the Tugger might be too rugged to wear with slacks or something. Just a hypothesis, really I don't know. Any expert opinions out there?
Not a fan of that sole... they make the boots look like an orthopedic shoe. As discussed a couple of pages back, I think the most practical sole is the commando sole. It provides decent traction on most surfaces, yet maintains a sleek profile that can be worn with most casual attire. The double waterlock sole is also not a bad option. The Winn Perry Officer Boot comes to mind: http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-d...-officer-boot/

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Howell31
Hello guys, I am considering placing an order for the Balckbird Foss Tugger in Black

I also don't like the profile of the sole. It is something that I associate with work boots made of cheaper materials. If you were going to wear them hard on a construction site, you might like this, I guess. And I bet the sole is very comfortable. All that said, for looks I prefer the sole on the Winn Perry officer boot.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
I have the Foss Tugger boot from Blackbird. The sole is a bit darker IRL compared to the website pics. I haven't worn them yet but they look like they will go better with jeans than they would with khakis. Definitely too rugged to wear with slacks, as you put it. They're on the Trubalance last so they fit a tad long and wide. I'm usually an 11E but I have these boots in 11D (like all my Indys) and they fit fine.

xtreme588

Reaction score
quick question...

I use Superfeet inserts in my Indys. Should I remove them before putting in my shoe trees or do you think it'll be okay just putting them in as is?

edit: for clarification, I'm worried about the heel end of the shoe tree doing unwanted stretching since the insole raises the heel about 1/2 to 3/4 inches.

mg428

Reaction score
I tried to find some real life photos on the Internet of Leffot's Greenwich Boots to no avail.

I will really appreciate if you can post some, preferably with jeans.

meadowstyle

Reaction score
I agree - there's a pair listed on eBay(worn only a "few times on carpet in my office....") and I think they are Uuuuuuggggglllllyyyyy.

That Vibram-look sole is awful. They look really black and industrial.

For the price, get the black indy instead. Or an Indy for that matter. Or any other Indy shoe/boot.

Just not the Toss Fugger boot - they're fuggly.

See, even the name sucks. An Alden special order gone awry.

meadowstyle

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I hit the quote about the Foss Tugger boots. My post is about them, not the Leffot boots mentioned above.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xtreme588
quick question...

I use Superfeet inserts in my Indys. Should I remove them before putting in my shoe trees or do you think it'll be okay just putting them in as is?

edit: for clarification, I'm worried about the heel end of the shoe tree doing unwanted stretching since the insole raises the heel about 1/2 to 3/4 inches.

As long as the shoe tree hits the back of the heel and not the ankle, you should be fine.

darnold

Reaction score
Natural chromexcel indy shoe has arrived from ShoeMart. Very happy with the leather - a little darker and smoother than the Shoemart pictures belie. Lots of character. Sorry for enormous pictures. @Jason - If only your's had been offered in my size! Thanks for your help in your store Sunday - and nice blog!
image1xsc.jpg
imagecxb.jpg

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnold
Natural chromexcel indy shoe has arrived from ShoeMart. Very happy with the leather - a little darker and smoother than the Shoemart pictures belie. Lots of character. Sorry for enormous pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

I really like these:

Natural PTB

Double flex sole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads