• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've really enjoyed all the pics of the black shell and these nst lace ups especially stand out in part because they look almost gunmetal gray, even green.

Is that the light creating that effect or have you actually noticed a change in the color? I'm debating on whether or not to leave some shell shoes out in the sun..

I think the sunlight was creating that effect more than anything. I haven't put any polish on these shoes; it'll be interesting to see if any areas light up to more of a grey color.

aldenwear

Reaction score
So I tried on the Marlow today. I also tried the C&J Cardiff. Seems they are on the same last (325). Both are to long and thin in the toe area. To bad since I really like the shoes. Is the alden 975 wider and blunter in the toe?

I cannot compare the Alden longwing 975 to the Ralph Lauren or C&J shoes you mention because I am not familiar with the non-Alden shoes you mention. But the 975 is on the Barrie last, which is one of the widest last in the toebox that Alden makes. Moreover, the 975 is widely available in "E" widths -- one width wider than "standard" "D" width -- and I believe is available standard from the factory in "EE" and "EEE" widths if needed. So with Alden longwings, you should be able to get what you need.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown CXL PTB for today

Looking good tifosi. I'm wearing the unlined Brown CXL PTB I picked up from TSM 2nds list - maiden voyage today. These things are insanely comfortable right out of the box. I'm getting a tiny bit of heel slip, it's barely noticeable and I'm sure it will go away with a few wears. And I can't spot what the defect is that makes these 2nds. I've seen first quality Aldens that look worse than these.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Looking good tifosi. I'm wearing the unlined Brown CXL PTB I picked up from TSM 2nds list - maiden voyage today. These things are insanely comfortable right out of the box. I'm getting a tiny bit of heel slip, it's barely noticeable and I'm sure it will go away with a few wears. And I can't spot what the defect is that makes these 2nds. I've seen first quality Aldens that look worse than these.

Lookin' good as well, beatle! I sure can't tell from that pic what makes then seconds. They look great.

Last edited:

CEE88

Reaction score

Leffot ravello tassels

Alcibiades, excellent make up. They look great.

Brown CXL PTB for today

Tifosi - excellent shine, sir. Leather or Commando sole?

Good luck with those, Beatlegeuse. I have been considering a pair myself. Alden DC tells me they (and other Alden stores) stock C widths.

Last edited:

cgul629

Reaction score
Nice looking PTBs! Leydon last?

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of those from the seconds list, but wasn't sure on sizing as I am not familiar with the leydon last. TTS?

Maybe by the time I figure out my size in the different lasts, I'll have money to buy some shoes
smile.gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifosi - excellent shine, sir. Leather or Commando sole?

These are oiled, 'flex' leather sole. Fully lined.
Thanks for the shine compliment, but I haven't done aything to these since I bought them! I love CXL.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NAMOR: I've really enjoyed all the pics of the black shell and these nst lace ups especially stand out in part because they look almost gunmetal gray, even green. Is that the light creating that effect or have you actually noticed a change in the color? I'm debating on whether or not to leave some shell shoes out in the sun..

I have numerous black shell models, shoes and boots. None of mine have ever shifted towards gray or green (personally, I wouldn't want them to). However, I have never left any out in the sun.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don L: #8 NST Aberdeen today

Nice. In spite of all special make-ups and in spite of all exotic colors, this is still one of Alden's very best models. If I had to get rid of all my Aldens (not going to happen), this would be one of the very last models to go.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alcibiades, excellent make up. They look great. Tifosi - excellent shine, sir. Leather or Commando sole? Good luck with those, Beatlegeuse. I have been considering a pair myself. Alden DC tells me they (and other Alden stores) stock C widths.
Thanks, and these are actually a C width, which is the only reason I got them. D width would have been too wide for me. I had been debating getting these from Alden SF because I saw C widths in stock, so when they showed up on the 2nds list it was a no brainer for me.
Nice looking PTBs! Leydon last?

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of those from the seconds list, but wasn't sure on sizing as I am not familiar with the leydon last. TTS? Maybe by the time I figure out my size in the different lasts, I'll have money to buy some shoes :)
These are actually Barrie last, they were listed incorrectly by TSM on their 2nds list.

Last edited:

luc13

Reaction score
hi there,

i live in Germany and unfortunately i cant find a shop (one-line or bricks and Mortar) in Germany or Europe that would sell me the new Alden Leather Defender Spray for the Cordovan shoes.

did anyone know a place?

i tried to order in the USA but some shops dont ship it to Europe other take for 4 bottles round about 65 $ (what is normal) and for shipping another 100$ and more and this is ridicules.

All the Best.

Gregor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads