1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

Agreed. Never thought about it like that.
    I still would like to see more styles with the antique edging.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I own both, and like each of them. And I consider them to serve different functions.

The stock 974 is considerably dressier than Leffot's color 8 LWB, IMO.

3. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I'm on the fence about a 975. I want one, but I also have a pair of AE Dalton boots in burgundy shell. It's a short wing, but has a dark edge dressing and I think there'd be some overlap.

Still, a non boot is generally more comfortable to wear. The Leffot version has a soft flex sole, and the Alden of Carmel version has a commando sole (!).

Thoughts?

I'm starting to wear more cords and chinos vs denim, FYI.

4. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Margarita Mikefecta tonight

5. Omert4

Omert4 Senior member

True, but 99% of the population wouldn't know that.

6. E. coli

E. coli Member

. Yes you're right I read months not weeks- my bad! Oh well that makes it even an easier decision!

7. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

+1

See Ya,
    Steve

8. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

I think many of us, me included take our shoes a little too serious. The 975 is extremely versatile. So is the Leffot version. The real difference is which edge best fits the widest variety of what you wear? I rarely wear suits and usually wear jeans, chinos, or slacks possibly with a sport coat. For me...the antique edge works better for me. For those who do wears suits more often the 975 is probably a better choice. When Im wearing a suit I use my BB #8 SW, or one of my #8 captoe shoe or #8 JCrew PCT boot. The one that covers the widest spectrum would probably be the 975.

See Ya,
    Steve

1 person likes this.
  9. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

True, but 99% of the population wouldn't know that.

Careful he's a lawyer

10. Bonggoy

Bonggoy Senior member

There is a size 11D available in Leffot LWB #8 preorder.

11. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

I think the Leffot #8 LWB does better with casual outfits than the stock 975 does with dressier outfits (my opinion). I also agree about the 974; I think that's classier than both shoes and, until I acquire a 974, I might use my AE Daltons with the dressier outfits. I think that works and, even if it's not a balmoral (hah), I enjoy wearing it because it's my personal style.

Thanks, Steve.

Any experience with shell LWBs versus calf of the same size? I've heard the fit isn't always the same, i.e. one is sometimes more snug. I'm sure it's due to how the leather holds it's shape over the last.

12. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Wow. Makes me even more glad that I never got in to the shell craze. I'm even considering selling my 1 pair of shells - 4060HC.

It's the hype. Pretty sure supply is the same it's always been, if you don't count Alden purposely creating a shortage. Not a bad way to make something more desirable - by telling people there's a shortage.

Similar to Jordan releases now?

I would assume most people in their 20's can't afford shoes this expensive and those in their 30's would have other expenses.

I don't think it's Styleforum. I think it's more mainstream stuff like GQ and JCrew giving them the added attention.

I'm in my 30's and now that I'm past my starter house and getting a newly built home, I know I'd rather save that $700 and put that towards upgraded tiles, or certain add-ons to the house. With kids due in about a year or so . . . might as well forget about Aldens.

I got in to Aldens because the TruBalance and Barrie lasts are just so comfortable for me. There's a reason I have 5 total pairs of Aldens at the moment and 3 of them are Dovers. The unlined Dovers are by far the most comfortable non-athletic shoe I've worn.

I had my last phone for 4 years. I finally jumped on the iPhone bandwagon with the iPhone5. I had to make sure it was well tested by the time I purchased one. :p

13. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

First off congrats to everyone who got in on the Leffot LWB preorder, reading through today and it sounds like it went super fast.

Now...will it be dark welt, or light welt... I personally find the light welt kind of obnoxious looking, the darker welt and lighter stitching is amazing though (same as the preorder pic)

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

I don't own any LWB that's not shell. I do own some non shell Aldens on barrie and they fit me the same.

See Ya,
    Steve

15. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

To be honest you can't go wrong with either. That's why they make both. I think shoes are similar to ice cream...pick as many flavors as you like!

See Ya,
    Steve

16. thams

thams Senior member

See this is my issue -- why assume people in their 30's would have other expenses and therefore shouldn't be able to afford Aldens. You state yourself that you're investing in a newly built home and plan to have children soon, but not all people in their 30's make the same choices as yours. For me, with no children and no plans to purchase a home, it makes buying new shoes more feasible. Just pointing out another perspective is all.

17. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I was right there with you . . . until I got married. Before then, I would buy what I wanted, when I wanted, and deal with the consequences later. I've been married for over 18 months now and I've slowly been trying to tone it down since my actions now affect someone else as well. It wasn't until the new home that it really opened my eyes and got me to actually follow through on it though.

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

The spine removal only hurts for a few seconds and then its all over!

You're right you do have to start thinking of others, specially if kids enter the picture. The moral of the story is spend now while its still your money!

See Ya,
    Steve

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

+1. This is my camp. 30+, No plans for kids but we are saving for a home. We have home savings and "play" money. We did the whole 'save every extra penny we earn' deal once for our wedding. We told ourselves we would never do that again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.