• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm guessing the cadet has the same shape as a PTB in a barrie?? Recently got shell 8 and I have to say I'm loving cordovan. But I heard the debate on black cordovan being meh...

This thinking made me pass up some great makeups over the years. Honestly I don't understand it. Black shell looks as great (particularly in the sun) as any shell color. And it's actually generally more wearable than rarer colors like whiskey.

i10casual

Reaction score
Jortuno, the wrinkles are stretch marks. It's from using leather too close to the belly. Someone is trying to save money.

epc2

Reaction score

Black shell looks as great (particularly in the sun) as any shell color. And it's actually generally more wearable than rarer colors like whiskey.

+1 The black shell LWB seems to be underrated and IMHO looks very very nice.

Last edited:

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well another thing is I also have a pair of jcrew x alden tobacco coming in, so trying to be good with the impulse buying.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Just received a pair of Alden Natural Chromexcel Longwing Bluchers # 97873 from the Shoe Marts seconds list. The leather on the left shoe between the laces and wingtip is somewhat darker than that of the right, also the right shoe shows some wrinkling but I can live with this. Other than these two factors these shoes are impeccable and actually very nice. Is there a way to slightly darken the right shoe to get it to match the other? - Thanks
I get that seconds are cheaper, etc. but these would be unacceptable to me at any cost.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received a pair of Alden Natural Chromexcel Longwing Bluchers # 97873 from the Shoe Marts seconds list. The leather on the left shoe between the laces and wingtip is somewhat darker than that of the right, also the right shoe shows some wrinkling but I can live with this. Other than these two factors these shoes are impeccable and actually very nice. Is there a way to slightly darken the right shoe to get it to match the other? - Thanks

Nice pick up. With the natural CXL, best to let it age gracefully. It will develop a nice patina and there will be a lot of variation anyway.

poena

Reaction score

Did you get the right size? These apparently fit a bit smaller than other Barrie lasted Aldens. So, many size up from their normal Barrie size. 

yea my usual barrie is a 8.5D
I got these Jcrew PCT in 9D since my first order of 8.5D were a tad snug.

it's only happening on the left boot. I might try a bit thicker socks next time as opposed to the thin pantherellas.

Jortuno

Reaction score
Jortuno, the wrinkles are stretch marks. It's from using leather too close to the belly. Someone is trying to save money.
Thanks i10casual, I have a pair of Chromexcel Wolverine 1000's that showed a few wrinkles similar to these by one of the ankles. Over time the color blended well and the wrinkles are not that that visible.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that too...until I got a pair of boots in black cordovan. Waaaay underrated in my opinion.

I'm guessing the cadet has the same shape as a PTB in a barrie?? Recently got shell 8 and I have to say I'm loving cordovan. But I heard the debate on black cordovan being meh...

I usually can only envision wearing black for work, I think I am just more prone to shades of brown, and color 8 makes life easy for me in terms of pairing. But
  • ubiquiti's pics of his black Indy's from this weekend has me convinced I'll see a black shell boot in my future something about black and jeans just doesnt fit my profile, although it looks good on others.

Jortuno

Reaction score
I get that seconds are cheaper, etc. but these would be unacceptable to me at any cost.
Yeah, I see what you mean Mr. Moo. By the way, Thanks again for the info you sent me the other day. I went to RL and placed an order for the Marlow wingtips.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
so my jcrew perf cap toe boots are hurting my feet at one of the creases. it just bends in right at the top/side of my big toe.

anyway to try to to fix this? is moving the crease to go somewhere else possible? I know it sounds silly.

i have had this before with CXL. I basically used a compeed blister plaster whilst the leather broke in. I dont know about shell be CXL will do this, my feet were covered in compeed for weeks whilst i socklessly broke in my Quoddys.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
I really like the Brooks Bros. version of the unlined Snuff PT. Prefer the eyelets, storm welt and contrast stitching compared to similar make ups I've seen.

what last is this and how does it it compare to Barrie? I find that with BB Bucks i have to go 0.5 larger than most US sizes.

From looking at he BB site it looks lined.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads