***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Why are these only in sizes for pituitary freaks? Why not some real sizes in the 7 range? (joking, of course. I wish my feet were in the 8-9 normal range sizes). I would love to have cordovan indys on plaza last. So close yet but so far.

Budapest, you should get them because you will regret not doing so when they are no longer available. And they will last you the rest of your life with proper care.

2. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

That is simply remarkable. You did superb, superb work. Your finished product looks outstanding. And inspiring: now I will be lobbying for black/burgundy saddles since I cannot even think of making them as you did.

Congratulations and I hope you really enjoy them. Thanks for posting.

3. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Taste is a strange thing. I actually like the look, which is why I have been considering them for my next Alden purchase. I'm primarily business casual and I like how they allow you to take a very sharp shoe and make it appropriate for an outfit that is a step or two down from wearing a suit. I think I prefer commando's for the same reason. The look doesn't concern me. My reason for asking is because I wanted to make sure there wasn't something functional I was missing.

Thanks for the response.

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Welcome to the forum! Sorry about your sizing mishap! Unfortunately they are too big for me as well.
    We have a lot of Alden fanatics here and we can try help you nail down your size for future purchases.

5. QuieroPiero

QuieroPiero Member

Thanks for being so.....well...welcoming! The boots are lovely but If I'm going to own a boot for years to come, they have to fit just right. Hopefully I can sell them or trade with someone in here for something that suits my feet.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

QP,

Have you worn the boot outside? If not J Crew will likely take a return. Also, if they are just a bit too big you can likely wear a bit of a thicker sock plus add an insole to take up some extra room. I would try some options before giving up on them.

7. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

+1 Sazon, nice pickup. There are some really cool looking boots. Cograts and wear them in good health.

8. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Awesome looking saddles. Thanks for posting, I love how you brought these back.

9. QuieroPiero

QuieroPiero Member

I wore them outside for one day of work (in a carpeted office) with the thickest socks I had. Still too roomy for my taste. I don't like compromising with shoe sizing. If a shoe isn't the right size, I don't want to change it to make it work. I guess shoes are kind of like relationships in that sense haha

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I agree. If they don't fit then they just don't fit. I'm sure you could post them for sale on the marketplace and make out OK on them. I don't know if/when you'll be able to get that exact boot, though.

11. QuieroPiero

QuieroPiero Member

Yeah I wont be able to post them on the classifieds for 15 days I think (because I'm a newbie) but we'll see how it goes. Also, BOY those shell cordovan cap-toes are nice O_O

12. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

A question this morning for the faithful. Which Horween leather is tougher for just knocking around, CXL or shell cordovan?

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I would say that cordovan is tougher. It just depends on how badly you want to beat up a pricey cordovan shoe/boot, I would say. If I had unlimited resources, I would have cordovan for beating up on.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Depends on what you mean by tough. Cordovan is usually a stiffer leather. Remember, Horween CXL is used in shoes such as boat shoes which demand a softer leather. That said, CXL is very durable, can be water treated with stuff like Montanta pitch blend, and I think feels better for just "knocking around."

15. Kai

Kai Senior member

Are those boots calfskin or shell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.