***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

These look great. I wonder how similar the LWB and NST would look if the NST had dark edging (or the LWB had antique).

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thanks! I don't know but the edging definitely makes a big difference to the shoes overall feel...

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Wow, there were some great acquisitions and pics today. Congrats to mdubs and his sharp looking darkish ravello LWBs, truly the king of the gunboats. The new color 8 shortwing bal oxford (974) is very underrated. Congrats to its new owner as well.

Work is picking up so its difficult for me to keep up. Hope everyone is well...

4. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Any chance you can expand on why you're not a fan of crepe? I like the look and I've heard they are extremely comfortable, but the opinion of this forum seems universally consistent. No one seems to like them and it would be great to get some input before I take the plunge.

5. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I'm not sure why others aren't fans. I have a pair of very casual reverse chamois chukkas on crepe and I think it works pretty well there -- the crepe does its all weather thing.

Further, the leather tip on the toe of the sole makes a huge and positive difference. I've got a pair of CXL beef roll pennies on crepe from Rancourt -- which have a completely crepe sole, front to back -- and I can attest that the toes catch on carpet with some frequency. Be careful walking around work with coffee.

If I had to guess, however, I'd say that people here generally shy away from the crepe soled options as crepe makes a shoe look much more casual. I understand why Frans Boone stocks so much of it -- just think about their prevailing weather, it's much more practical -- but if bad weather soles aren't a priority for you, well . . . .

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Gracias argentino.

7. calidist

calidist Senior member

Glad to hear it worked out.

8. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Very nice looking suede. They do look awesome.

9. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  10. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

11. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Frans Boone on the Plaza last in 8D, 9D and 10D (looks like a new pair or two became available and new pictures went up). Please buy before I do.

[​IMG]

12. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Luckily they aren't 8.5D

13. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I agree. Someone buy 9D otherwise I'm about to spend $878.05 CAN + duties.

14. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Code:

Outstanding Sazon, welcome to #8 captoe plaza club.

Wear in great health my friend.

15. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Guys,

I'm going to gingerly stray from Alden discussion only because I asked a question about dying shell and I got a couple of PM's with questions/comments. A little background. I've been searching for a pair of two-tone shell saddles ever since losing out on a pair from LS on ebay a couple of months ago, but I haven't had much luck. I had been watching a pair of Cole Haan shells on ebay that were really beat-up. Once the owner dropped the price I decided to take a chance. Since this is an Alden forum, I'll only share 3 pictures. What they looked like when they arrived, how they looked after I prepared the leather for dying, and how they look after I finished. My goal was to go with a burgundy/black combination but the leather was so far gone that I had to reverse the order and go black/burgundy. The bottom line, and again, my reason for sharing, is to demonstrate that it can be done. I wouldn't thing of doing this with a $700 pair of Alden's, but it can be done.

Upon receipt....

[​IMG]

After preparing the leather to receive the dye.....

[​IMG]

And (drum roll please), the final product.......

[​IMG]

I'm never going to wear these with a suit or even business casual, but I'll certainly throw these on with some jeans or khakis. Something I didn't realize until I finished is that I don't own any black shell. So these kind of fill a void.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.