1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior Member

just stumbled upon this thread on superfuture the "horsehide footwear contest". With a fair few new deliveries just happening recently - shoemart 2nds, JG delivery and others - including a fair few rare shells - it would seem perhaps a good time to have something like that here maybe? People talk about patina trumping babying your footwear. Has SF had something like that before? It obviously has its fair share of raw denim fade contests. Dislaimer : i should (with the blessing of the sizing gods) be getting some #8 indy's soon and would enjoy the excuse not to freak out and baby them [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

MH I noticed in an early post you mentioned selling your #8 Indys, what happened that you decided to part with them. I wear

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

4. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior Member

Thank you very much RTP for the insight, I'll have to work on the sizing

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Anytime my friend. I'm still looking for my precise aberdeen and van sizes for loafers.

6. budapest12

budapest12 Distinguished Member

I got to see them recently -- they are darker than other shades I have seen in pictures, but not as dark as in Doc Alden's photos. They are a caramel brown, but definitely still "brown". I am not quite sure of how I can describe them better than that. As somebody hankering for cigar LWBs as well, I think they could probably satisfy the longing (at least until the chance to snag those came up, in which case all bets are off). Anyway, they are beautiful and, I think, a versatile color.
    Any indication on when you will know this? I still have a slim chance myself of lucking out but I don't know when the cut-off is for the others to decide.

THAT is dedication!

7. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

RTP, you are right on the money with this advice. I have a couple of pairs that are "slightly snug-smallish" and it's not pleasant, especially after a couple of hours of wear.
    Also, regarding the heel area of the shoe: the sole might loosen up over time such that heel slippage dissipates (I've read about this happening with Yuketen mocs with really thick soles that initially have almost no give), but it might not. It could also get worse as the leather around the heel loosens up.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

As a fellow TTS-12brother, I welcome this and ask to be put at the top of your family's "to PM" list.

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Distinguished Member

noted lol

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I have the black shell and color 8 captoe bals (perf tip) on the Snap last (Alden for BB). They are two of my favorite dress shoes. I also have calf captoe bals (straight tip) in burgundy (Anthony Cleverley) and black (Edward Green).

11. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

Did you mention the collection might be worth the equivalent of a nice little insurance policy? Sleep with one eye open!:evolve:

12. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

All are good options (along with Cordovan and Horween).

I hope to have a son some day, to go with my twin girls, Patina and Shell.

13. kwhitelaw

not alden related, so please forgive, but I spend the bulk of my time in here.

i'm working on some custom shoe bags and need some drawstring "pulls". material and drawstring yarn has been procured.

the brass style from alden would suffice, as would the simple lace lock style that other manuf offer..

any recommendations?

thanks in advance!

14. kwhitelaw

my fathers eyes popped when the conversation came up today concerning investment lol.. I keep pushing him to head back to NE to visit family (so I can hit shoemart and the other shops up there [​IMG] )

15. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior Member

Namor,

via google images I stumbled on this post - found your sizing pretty interesting.

[​IMG]

Especially the +0.5 same width between Grant and Plaza captoes
    - i was a bit hesitant but this is what i felt i probably was
    (complicated by the fact that I only had access to Grant sizes that where either just to big or just too small and sold out the D and E sizes in between and the only Plaza I have had available was a Loafer).

Your Barrie and TB sizing makes me suspect that sizing C in Barrie might work for me.

Sometimes I feel like developing an Alden Habit (especially somewhere where they are not easily accessible) is like a kind of masochistic Treasure Hunt in which you hunt for something that represents what you want (a shoe / boot shaped on the same last as what you desire) with the prize being "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU CAN NOW SPEND ALMOST $1000!" !!!!
    .... There is the bonus additional kicker/booby trap when because of variations between models it might still not fit meaning "UNLUCKY! WASTED MONIES!".

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.