1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thams

thams Senior member

Thank you! I'm digging the color too. I was afraid they would be really dark like some other batches I've seen. I agree that this run doesn't show any olive tones, but is more of a consistent chocolate brown. I'm going to let them fade naturally, so I'm looking forward to watching them age. Kathy said she's really happy with this batch.

2. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

O.O

3. nemo

nemo Senior member

I recently did this for my tanker. I started with sandpaper but found it easier/faster using a sharp utility knife to "shave" off the black edge dressing. Not as dangerous as one might imagine just make sure the blade is new and very sharp.

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Just start with coarser sand paper and then smooth with a finer grit. (Just as you would use sand paper in any other application)

5. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

I have been leaving my recent ravello medallion captoe shoes in the sun and just hit with conditioner after. Not to offend anyone, but ravello used to be great, but now I think it's Alden's "Ugly Brown" shade (under most lighting). The weird thing is that on the side pieces I can see where Alden applied a lighter (or less) glaze and the potential of the color shows through.

The recent cigar shades though, seem absolutely perfect.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Now that's creative. Have to give that one some thought. Appreciate the response nemo. Thanks.

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Very nice shade of Cigar on the new CT boots from DC. My new LWBs from Alden NYC look a little darker, I may need to start leaving those out in the sun as well.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

To those that own color 8 Indy boots on a leather sole - do you wear them often? Examining an opportunity as I currently do not own any leather soled color 8 boots.

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I used to own color 8 Indys, but I found the shiny shell clashed too much with the really casual nature and shape of the boot. They were on commando and I didn't feel they worked.

1 person likes this.
  10. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

Sometimes it's just pure luck. Last summer I bought a pair of Whisky short wing balmoral just by walking into Alden DC on a random day, and they even had different widths and sizes for me to try on.

On the same day I put my name onto the Cigar captoe boot list... which I still haven't received any call/email. My name is still on the list when I checked couple months ago, and if I don't get a pair this time, I can wait. I have more than enough shoes to occupy my two feet.

11. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

I think we should all go in on ordering lunch for Kathy for a day or two. She was awesome on the phone today (ridiculously patient with my questions and got me added to the list) and probably got absolutely inundated with calls due to this thread today. Sounds like everyone else had the same great experience with her.

Chris R.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  12. intensanity

That's a fantastic idea. In.

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Really? I love mine! Dresses up an outfit perfectly for exactly the reason you stated. Also, don't forget to play with diff color laces.

For a second color 8, not sure it I should get a PCT or a wingtip. I already have a burgundy cordovan AE Dalton boot (wingtip), so if I go Alden Color 8 Wingtip, I'd sell the AE. But the Dalton is a gorgeous red color vs the eggplant color 8 of Alden...nice variety.

Decisions!

14. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Would love to pitch in. Maybe a card that says "From the gents at Style forum. Thanks for handling our requests!"

Or something like that. Totally down. Let us know how we can organize this. Should we look up restaurants in the area?

Really sweet idea, man.

15. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Awesome, that message sounds like a good idea. She should know we appreciate the help here on the forum, especially since we probably took up a good day and a half worth of her being on the phone, haha. Didn't think too hard about the logistics, but I'm down to make it work however.

Anyone ever done anything like this before? I guess we can just look up something nearby and get it delivered?

16. intensanity

Tonight I shall surely dream of those Cigar Cts!

17. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Reviewing the recent pre orders for LWB in Cigar and Whiskey from Alden on Madison, and Cigar CT boot from Alden DC...all of them arrived on time and no big issues in quality. I would love to see a run of cap toes in whiskey on commandos a proposed next group order with Kathy. 2nd choice would be Ravello. I think these are doable within a 12 month window. We shall see.

See Ya,
    Steve

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I'd be all over a whiskey captoe

1 person likes this.
  19. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Ravello naval boot (PCT) on commando would also be sweet (no speed hooks).

20. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

I would definitely be down for either. I love the commando sole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.