***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I too have lucked out obtaining rarer shell. I landed the Alden of DC cigar captoe boots and the Leffot ravello LWB off B&S and when I put my name down (no deposit) for Cigar Indy's, J Gilbert called me the next month to tell me someone backed out of their current order while Alden of Madison Ave emailed me a few months later that the order was in (which I declined). I was not a customer of either at the time so it can be done.

Back to boots, for you 11Ds who like scotch grain, these look pretty nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Alpin...d=100005&prg=8208&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=121175387334&

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Very nice!

3. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Bespoken: agreed completely.

Bespiffington: yes, yes they are.

[​IMG]

4. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Wildstar, I ordered 10.5D. I emailed J Crew a little while ago to ask for the status and they said the boots are indeed being packaged to ship, and once they do ship they'll send me tracking info.

One thing about my order -- when I placed it, I believe the website said it was back-ordered until Sept 15th. Subsequently, like a day later, I checked the site, just to see what date it gave for a 10.5D, and it was pushed back to the end of October. I'm just guessing, but it's possible they que up the orders and fill them as placed - and maybe not all the orders placed around the time of the promo code will be filled now. Do you happen to remember what date they said the boot would be available for you?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

5. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Congrats! I signed up for Leffot's most recent Tanker pre-order. Should be ready in early 2021 (... kidding -- sometime in 2014). Great looking boot. Strange what you say about the sizing though - for me, every Barrie boot I have fits tighter than a Barrie shoe in the same size. I could see people saying the boot 'feels' tighter because of its design and how it grips the entire ankle (even though measurements might reveal it is not actually shorter or narrower). But to say the boots actually feel roomier than your PTB in the same size(?) ... well, if it fits properly, that's what matters.

6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

shawnc, I have to agree with you that the Marlow PTB is a very comfortable shoe. In my opinion the construction tolerances are superior to that of my Alden PTB's, but the finish on Alden's Horween shell is the industry standard and takes a shine much better than the C&J equivalent. Alden is like a loaded Buick 225, where as the Marlow is a "proper" saloon car. Both are great shoes and can find a place in any gentleman's wardrobe.

7. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

I had the same experience. I ordered July 30th and the shipping date said September 15 but then later changed to October 31st. I checked my account and it still says October 31st. Am hoping for an early delivery :)

8. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Haha, I'll take one of each. No wait - I already have them!

Seriously, I agree with you - if color 8 works for you (and I don't see how someone could say it doesn't), then there's a lot of great options out there. My only wish is that Alden would make more of the really dark color 8 (or is it up to Horween?). My PTB & LWB looked nearly black when I got them (and they still kinda do), while I've gotten a couple of other makeups that look much MUCH lighter. For my last couple of purchases, I asked the retailer to describe the shade of color 8 and they knew exactly what I driving at ("we got a particularly dark, rich color8 with this run....").

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

[/quote]

Classy response RTP..........as was yours Namor.

10. sashae

sashae Senior member

That'd be me. I missed out on the 10.5 Barrie punch-cap suede boots from Shoe Mart's irregulars list, and wanted some new suede. Still want those boots though!

11. sashae

sashae Senior member

Yeah, FWIW I've walked in to Alden NY a few times and they've had whiskey and ravello shoes on display -- not full size runs, but they're not hidden under the counter.

12. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

with NAMOR's recent comparison between LS and JG plaza captoes, any similar photo comparisons between the Grant Captoe and the Barrie AF60 Captoe?

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I think those whiskey indys in 14EEE have been there forever.

14. sashae

sashae Senior member

I bought (and returned) a pair of 10D LHS in whiskey (too narrow for me) and passed on a pair of 10.5D PTBs, and got my 10.5D cigar Indys from them retail as well. The stock isn't constant, but I work 2 blocks away so stopping by isn't so bad ;)

15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Home field advantage is nice. Seriously are those indys there. I get in about once a year, and there they sit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.