***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Personally, it is about the shoe more than the brand. Being relatively new to shell, most of my shoes are calf. But I am a fan of various makes by Alden, Carmina, and C&J. They all have a different forte and they all make models I like. I won't wait indefinitely on model x by brand y when I have other great options I like readily available. I may hope to get that model one day, but ultimately I'm going to make other purchases and be quite happy.

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

. And what's with all these poor people complaining they have no money? I've got mine, Jack!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

3. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

NAMOR, I always appreciate your photos and input on this thread. The other day I was (re)checking out that comparison you did of the plaza boots from LS & JG. Outstanding.:thumbs-up:

Anyway, like many others here, I love that J. Crew cap toe boot you posted. I actually ordered it several weeks ago when Crew had its 20% off promo code that included Alden. It was backordered, but it seemed worth giving it a shot. Sometime last night Crew hit my cc for the amount of the boot and when I logged in this morning the boot is listed as shipping (but no tracking info yet). Could it be....?:bounce2:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have Carmina shell, shoes and boots . Decent construction.
    Carmina's shell, in my experience, is dry. Very dry. And the shine is not even in the same conversation.

I easily prefer Alden's shell.

5. Johnniegold

Johnniegold Well-Known Member

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Nice reply, son [​IMG]. You did so with more grace and class than I did. In retrospect I wish I hadn't taken a potshot at you like that. It's been a long week of sleep deprivation and impatience. Carmina makes a great shoe and this one certainly is beautiful.

All the best...

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have multiple shell models in Alden's 5 major colors.

I have been on a grand total of one preorder list.

Checking this thread and establishing a good relationship
    with a few Alden retailers goes a long way.

And pulling the trigger when you find what you want is
    imperative.

8. ReppTiePrepster

Nice lookin' PTBs my friend! It's been a while. Enjoy often and in great health...

9. ReppTiePrepster

Did anyone here pick up those J Crew snuff suede LWBs in 10.5D off of ebay?? If so, congrats, you will not regret it at $278.98! [​IMG] I wish I found mine at that price...

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Honestly who needs rare colors when plenty of color 8 is available:

[​IMG]

11. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Ha (I would've put in the laughing emoticon but I'm on the phone). My point wasn't so much that rare shell is easily available; it was more of a counter to the argument that you have to be some kind of elite customer for stores to sell it to you.

12. sazon

sazon Senior member

Great shots all around this week gents. It has been a hell-week for me at work, although I did try to get in on the Ravello madness, with no success.

As Uncle Mac has said, wear and enjoy what you have and if you get lucky one day, so be it. They're only shoes.

I did score a pair of Allen Edmonds shell for $299, so that made me feel better (park ave captoes, #8) :D

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Sometimes things in the thread become misconstrued. I walked into two pairs of exotics. Fortunate for me to say the least, there are some retailers who only sell specific models to specific clients. It is certainly their right to do so. I think the chief complaint of some is the lack of equitable opportunities at some models. People are certainly allowed to express their frustrations and others are free to reasonably agree or disagree. This thread is consistently a model for gentlemanly conduct and I appreciate all who participate in the thread for said conduct.

Anyway back to the shoes/boots we all love.

14. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

Agreed. My Leffot Color 8 Tankers arrived earlier this week and I love them. I was a bit nervous given the comments on here about Barrie lasted boots running a bit smaller/tighter than shoes, but they fit perfectly, if not a tad bigger than my cigar PTB.

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

What size did you order and when did you order it? I am really looking forward to that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.