• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunw

Reaction score
Quote: Yea, I have the C&J for RL Marlow PTB. It's definitely a superior shoe to Alden and has quickly become my favorite (and most comfortable) shell cordovan shoe......sorry Alden
biggrin.gif

aldenwear

Reaction score
Alden is ran ass backwards and their operations are as old as shoe making is a profession. All this about not wanting to grow and sacrifice quality argument is horseshit. They can't even make a decent shoe as it is. their UK counterparts- C&J, Trickers, and even AS benchgrade - make a much better built shoe in similar styles. C&J would mark their shoes as defective if their workers began producing Alden 1st quality work. It's that bad. Alden as business hasn't done anything to justify charging $700 for shoes.

The problem is that demand has risen to such a high level, and their customers so focused on these "rare" shells, for example, that they have turned a blind eye to the fact that other better quality shoemakers are making shell for the same price in any color cordovan in just months. Carmina pumps out ANY color shell (horween) in just months. Every three months you could have a new rare shell.

If Alden was made in china no one here would give them the light of day.

Alden is great but all this noisy drama and waiting for an imperfect $700-$750 shoe, has me feeling like I'm in high school again

Word.

dslonghorn4

Reaction score

I love those!!  Nice!  Sorry for the stupid question, but I assume that I would have to call to see if they have any of these in my size, correct?  Meaning, they don't have an online site, correct?  Thanks.

I should have clarified. My Ravello LWBs are a makeup from J.Crew.

Alden DC does not have a site and yes you do need to call. Good luck!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My "new" Ravello LHS. I picked them up from my PO BOX at 11:40 last night. I was like a little kid ripping into the box.

The socks were picked up on my trip @ the Neiman Marcus flagship in Dallas.

Looks like Texas was a fruitful destination! Congrats my friend and enjoy them often and in great health1

Wearing my black shell 4065's today with some olive. Happy Friday, all!

Well done my friend! Enjoy your cap toe boots and the weekend...

Ravello Friday. Congrats to those who picked up the LWBs from Alden DC!

Nice gunboats Longhorn. I'm guessing those are not of the DC batch as they have the light edge?? Wear in great health and HOOK'em
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

leffot saddles

You've demonstrated once again the depth of your wonderful wardrobe. Enjoy your saddles and the weekend my friend!

#8 Captoe Boot, RRL selvedge chinos
Looking good in your ALDEN for j crew pct boots. Relax and enjoy them my friend...
wink.gif

Looking for some expertise from the group. What would you recommend to best match/cover up the nick I seem to have gotten on my cigar PTBs?

Much appreciated
Edge dressing cleans them up nicely. Looks like AE's chili would do the trick. Enjoy your good looking PTBs!

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have certainly not been afraid to point out Alden's shortcomings in the past. However would I fork over $850 for ravello brixtons, in a second. It kills me to think of giving so much money to a manufacturer that could care less about those who support their brand. None the less I do it anyway. I have posed this question before but how bad does it have to get before people look at other options. Assuming all were available would people consistently choose AE or Carmina over alden shell?

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

I have certainly not been afraid to point out Alden's shortcomings in the past. However would I fork over $850 for ravello brixtons, in a second. It kills me to think of giving so much money to a manufacturer that could care less about those who support their brand. None the less I do it anyway. I have posed this question before but how bad does it have to get before people look at other options. Assuming all were available would people consistently choose AE or Carmina over alden shell?

my questions revolves around the shell shortage? why is there a shell shortage when no other company seems to have issues regularly producing shell, carmina, ae, vass, etc. in any and all colors.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen edmonds got the lock on the cordovan they are best friends with horween. Its their business strategy to convert everyone to allen edmonds see how readily available the cordovan is for them

Last edited:

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

Allen edmonds got the lock on the cordovan they are best friends with horween. Its their business strategy to convert everyone to allen edmonds see how readily available the cordovan is for them

don't know if that's true. i've read alden accounts for 70% of all cordovan business for horween.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carmina doesn't appear to offer a lot of its lasts in wide sizes (even via single shoe preorder), so I can't really use them like I have wanted for their sleeker styles. For example I can't order a cordovan double monk strap in a wide size. In contrast, I can get a wide size in Plaza, Aberdeen, Hampton etc pretty easily. They do offer wide sizes on some of their less sleek styles, but for those types of shoes I prefer the look of Alden.

Allen Edmonds could be a good choice over Alden, but shoe for shoe, I think Alden makes a better cordovan product (their calfskin can be equal depending on model, plus their service is excellent). Plus, Alden and AE models just look different even int eh same styles.

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My theory is this while Alden was dominating the shell market others were stock piling. How many others truly looked at carmina and ae for shell prior to Alden's shortage. I would venture the majority of Alden's business is shell. EG, Vass etc. Produce low numbers of shell offerings and in most cases on a MTO basis. I think AE in particular is seizing a golden opportunity to make up ground on Alden.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've abandoned ship. Down to one pair left - probably the least coveted pair I've owned (black shell cap toe bluchers). Between questionable QC and the availability issues, I'm motivated to shop elsewhere.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

my questions revolves around the shell shortage? why is there a shell shortage when no other company seems to have issues regularly producing shell, carmina, ae, vass, etc. in any and all colors.

Is Carmina really selling cordovan in a meaningful way outside of Styleforum/Epaulet and a few select stores via MTO? I don't know the answer but I would guess no. Same for Vass, Meermin, etc. Obviously for Styleforum members that can get their needs met by these companies, it's excellent, but that's not a big number. Cordovan is still very much a niche category within a niche category (dress shoes over $400), and it's even more niche for companies outside of Alden and maybe AE.

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

don't know if that's true. i've read alden accounts for 70% of all cordovan business for horween.

Also, just in my experience, I can't say I'm seeing all that much shell being put out by other makers (I have no idea about AE, however). Carmina doesn't show up much here; same for Vass; and, as has been said before, the Brits don't do that much with it. Alden, by way of contrast, has many models featuring it, and it doesn't seem to be that tough to get your hands on any number of black or color 8 models.

At the same time, I find it hard to be annoyed with a manufacturer which has consistently had relatively low production volume continuing with that practice. I'm sure that Alden understands that this incredibly increased demand is just a phase, and to them it doesn't make sense to adapt to it and increase production. That's fine by me.

Of course, increased demand across the board makes what was before a relatively small subset of business (rare shell) that much harder to come by. My dad has worn Alden shell for as long as I can remember, and, until the past five or so years, I used cordovan to refer to both a material and a color as I'd never seen anything but color 8.

It also seems natural to me that Alden, in dealing with the increased demand, would restock their own stores with staples before tending to other retailers and special orders. I'm sure the Alden stores have standing orders. Further, Alden knows those places will be here when this fad passes. All the others, however? That's an unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads