***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Bumping this so see if anybody has an opinion,I don't own any boots and wondering if should get a pair or not.

Thanks.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I wear alden boots frequently in New Orleans. Wear a thin sock and you should be good to go.

3. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I don't see any reason why there would be an issue if you like the style. I wore my shell NST's last weekend in the city, and New York @ 100% humidity and +85 can't be much different than the sunshine state. I also do not feel a material difference between shell and calf. In other words go for it.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

It took a couple of times to understand what you were saying. IDK what the exact weather is like there but if its anything like I remember Florida to be in the summer visiting as a kid, you'll atleast be able to wear your boot in the "wintertime". #8 means go, go, go!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  5. Don L

Don L Senior member

6. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Quick PSA: I called Alden NYC to inquire about the ravello ptbs that came in. Sadly for me, they didn't have my size (I guess my ravello lightning only strikes once in a week or once every several years for that matter). Happily for a person who takes a 9D Barrie, they have at least one in stock. Hurry, buy and wear in great health!!

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Alden black NST. Where as I prefer cigar NST in Barrie, I really like the black and color 8 NST in Aberdeen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Honestly, this is why no one should pay more than $125 or $150 for a preorder, and why all preorders should be fully refundable (in the stock sizes). Stores like Context asking for full price for preorders make no sense. Even MTOs from companies like Edward Green only require a 50% deposit.

I am not excusing how Alden manages it retailers, but some of the preorder frustration has to be blamed on the retailer. From what I understand some retailers asked for full price for rare cordovan orders that were not confirmed - if so, they should offer full refunds while maintaining those customers' place on the preorder lists. Until orders are confirmed, I don't think there is a guarantee or even expectation that new models will be made. At least for stores like Alden NYC, SF, and DC, you simply call up and ask to be put on the list for shoes, no deposits necessary. Leffot takes preorder money only for confirmed shoes (though those Alden black longwings are taking a while...)

9. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

But what about all the ravello shoes that came in this week? Alden DC received Ravello LWB, Alden SF received Ravello PTB, and Alden NY received Ravello PTB as well.

The Allen Edmonds thing is interesting for sure.

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Based on my observations over the past year or two, "stock" rare models like PTB, chukkas, and longwings get replenished at stores like Alden NYC, Alden DC, Alden SF, and the Shoe Mart every year or so no matter what people are saying about shortages. Alden DC seems to be able to replenish its cigar captoes on somewhat of a regular basis, Alden NYC seems to be able to get some Indy boots here and there, etc. More custom group preorders and new models seem non-existent outside of a few one-offs (like the J Crew ravello LWB)

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Well said...honestly for me the money down doesn't bother me as much as Alden's complete disregard to any sort of plan or schedule when it comes to a timeline for what gets made and which store gets it. Maybe internally they have a plan that makes sense, but as a customer I will never understand why some orders have been sitting there for years with no traction and then all of a sudden 3 different stores get shipments of a rare cordovan color that is supposed to be tapped out.

As for retailers, Epaulet has been more than understanding to all this. They did offer full refunds to anyone who pre-ordered, and they are so fed up with Alden that they just stopped taking pre-orders altogether. I should ask them if I could get my money back, but still be first in line when my size comes in. Although, that gets tricky when you're dealing with a non-stock size.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I wonder which category the Ravello Brixton falls under. It's not a "stock" model, but it is something they offered in the past. The last Ravello version came out around 2009 I think. And they've offered #8, Cigar, and Natty CXL versions since then.

And with my narrow feet, I'm almost always stuck trying to pre-order something in a narrow width, which usually ends up in more frustration for me than anything.

13. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Alden NY has a ravello ptb in 11.5D up for grabs, sadly they didn't order my size this time around. If anyone spots a 12D pair, please give me a shout out.

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

they did. I just grabbed it this morning (unless they have multiple pairs)

thanks for whomever put up the PSA.. this lessens the sting of not getting the LWB from DC [​IMG]

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Damn! I need bigger feet!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.