1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

ravello vs. #8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Yes sir. Duly noted. I think I may have just had an issue with my phone back earlier. Fantastic boots and lawn, as always.

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Instead of trying to track down this Cigar captoe boot I just went ahead and ordered an Edward Green Galway. So yes!

2 people like this.
  4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I think a lot of it is because Alden is "cool".

I think that for a lot of folks, it is not so much that they like Alden, just that they like whatever is "cool" at the time.

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I don't think so. Alden isn't "cool" outside of this forum. So unless you are buying for the guys on here, no one cares.

6. thams

thams Senior member

Agreed. None of my friends know what Aldens are and they generally don't care. They acknowledge that they're nice looking, but that's about it.

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

The psychology of supply and demand like I mentioned earlier. When I look at DV's ravello vs. #8, i sincerely believe #8 is more attractive .However I would purchase the Ravello first.

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I respectfully disagree. Perhaps it is because we are in different population segments? I am in my 20's (barely) and until recently worked in gentrified Brooklyn. Alden is very "cool" among those I encountered there.

They are generally "cool" among those who wear a lot of clothes from J. Crew.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I guess I could see that. You guys are the only people I "know" that give a rats ass about fashion. So I guess we do run in different circles.

10. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

Ok so fit questions. Just went to one JCrew and tried on their shell captoes (which I'm told is the Barrie last). I wear a 9EEE on the #5 last at Allen Edmonds.

Tried on the 8.5 and the 9. The 8.5s were very snug but felt like they fit the best. The 9s were ever so slightly loose. Both of them were a little tight on the top of my heel when walking. If I had to pick one of those two it'd be the 8.5s, which tells me I'm likely an 8.5E on the Barrie (I think all of their shoes are Ds and it was a little tight above my arch). The Grants I'm told are a bit thinner and you should size up a half. So thoughts are an 8.5E with the Barrie and a 9E on the Grant. Does that make sense? Do shells stretch a bit/what should the out of box fit be like? Thanks a ton!

11. thams

thams Senior member

That could be it. I'm in my lower 30's in Washington D.C. and I can honestly say that I hardly ever spot Alden sightings on the street (and I look...probably more than I should). However, the folks I work with consider shoes over $100 to be trendy no matter the style.

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I do not consider myself among them. That is just where my job happened to be.
    Then we are all back in agreement!

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Those boots happen to fit a little more snug than other barrie models. You are likely an 8.5D in Barrie, and a 9D in most other lasts.

14. thams

thams Senior member

Maybe? I'm only trying to say that I don't know anyone who only buys Aldens because they're "cool." But I understand your context and think it's a valid point.

15. intensanity

intensanity Senior member

Sweet deal. Thanks Bikes.

16. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

I'm pretty sure that 11 out of my 12 closest friends or perhaps 12 out of 12 of my closest friends have no clue what Alden is or care to know. Same goes for most who I work with. My buddies would also likely have a few smart remarks towards me if they knew what I paid "for a pair of shoes" haha. We are all in our low 30's. So, basically, I see no cool factor at play. I just love nice shoes - and not just Alden.

17. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Amen, my good man.

18. smmrfld

smmrfld Well-Known Member

As is the case with other boots as well. My loden lady calf captoes from Unionmade are slightly slimmer than others on Barrie last in same exact size. Not enough to really affect fit, but definitely a slight difference, which is highlighted by a more closely-cut welt than found on many other Barrie models.

19. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I am 9.5E on the AE 5 last and I wear 9.5D on the Barrie. I would say your true Barrie size would probably be 9.5E. This said, I recently purchased a pair of Alden Cap Toe boots on the Barrie last from the TSM and they indeed run a bit snug. I had to go up 1/2 size to 10D to get a proper fit.

20. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Senior member

I think Alden's appeal to a younger crowd in a way Carmina and C&J dont. Certain pairs of boots/shoes remain well made but still give off the vintage prep kinda look.
    I couldnt see myself wearing a pair of Carmina shoes with a pair of faded denim. Maybe thats just me.

Im in total agreance though, I would never tell my buddies what these things cost. I dont think they would even care honestly.
    Tonight I got a compliment on a pair of Wingtip boots, "those shoes are awesome they look like they are from the 1920's". I love to hear things like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.