• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenwear

Reaction score
Not trying to argue, but this is not much of discoloration but rather marks left from running dyes. Alden finish their dark color shell shoes with liquid dyes, as a way to even out the color variations and imperfections inherent in shell Cordovan. Frequently, the application of the dye is not perfectly even, leaving behind these marks.

Examine a few pairs of dark color shell Alden in very strong light (e.g. direct sun light), and you should see varying degrees of imperfections.

I am not saying that it is acceptable. Ultimately, it is the consumer's decision. BTW, an alternative option is to complain directly to Alden. I am pretty sure they will fix the issue for free, by applying more dyes to cover up the marks.

I appreciate your explanation of the process. I guess I have been lucky over the years: I have never run into this despite seeing and owning a number of pair of color 8 cordovan shoes. Running dye or discoloration, the process in this instance lead to a notable result in this particular pair of shoes.

Last edited:

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:Agree, I wear mine all summer and very comfortable.
[/quote Thanks to all for the responses. I really appreciate it! I may go with the suede chukka for more casual wear, but I really like the Cooney. I don't think my feet will get too cold in the unlined chukka with some warm socks, since it rarely gets real cold in SC.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haven't seen this awhile, so I figured I'd put it up and ask.. top 3 grails that you don't yet own but would buy if they became available... pics included in possible.. my three
1. ravello brixton 2. ravello chukka, either plaza or barrie 3. cigar LWB.
I have #1 and #3 on order with Epaulet right now. Once these come in I probably won't be ordering any more rare shell from Alden.

Last edited:

Pastor

Reaction score

haven't seen this awhile, so I figured I'd put it up and ask..

top 3 grails that you don't yet own but would buy if they became available...

pics included in possible..

my three

1. ravello brixton

2. ravello chukka, either plaza or barrie 

3.  cigar LWB.    

My first two Alden shell purchases were the Ravello Wingtip boot and the Cigar LWB both from TSM.

I also have the Allen Edmond Chukka (Dundee) in cappuccino shell that is in between ravello and cigar

All of these shoes get plenty of wear!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

My first two Alden shell purchases were the Ravello Wingtip boot and the Cigar LWB both from TSM.

I also have the Allen Edmond Chukka (Dundee) in cappuccino shell that is in between ravello and cigar

Nice lineup you have there, Pastor. I'm am looking quite forward to my cappuccino Dundees.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suede shortwings today

unipair guy

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you sir. i have 2 color #8 captoe boots, the other being jcrew captoe. I think once the jcrew captoe is due for a resole, ill ask b.nelson to switch out the edge trim and welt stitching to match leffot naval boot
Interesting plan. The Naval boot looks pretty nice, but I think I prefer the J Crew boot as is. However, with all of the color 8 that I have, it might be nice to have one with the antique edge.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Interesting plan.  The Naval boot looks pretty nice, but I think I prefer the J Crew boot as is.  However, with all of the color 8 that I have, it might be nice to have one with the antique edge.

I really dig the naval boot. I hope to get my feet on a pair, soon. I'd wear them for strictly casual with denim and I'd use my 4060 cap toes for less casual dress.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kick myself everyday knowing that a year ago TSM had ravello wingtip boots readily available for a good while in my size, and I never ordered them! Well done my friend!!

jcrew saddles + red socks for team usa

Nice MrDV! These are my favorite seude Alden make-ups. I am wearing snuff saddles (pardon the non-Alden shoes) and red/white/blue argyles for last night's victory and in remembrance of 9-11-01... (tough to go through this each year, remember it like it was yesterday
frown.gif
)

(RL, made in Italy but not sure who the manufacturer is)

Suede shortwings today
Nice look DonL!

poena

Reaction score
Got my phone call from Alden DC on Monday. I've been on travel and just got back late last night. so just gotta give them a call back today.

Is the price really $730 now?

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my phone call from Alden DC on Monday. I've been on travel and just got back late last night. so just gotta give them a call back today.

Is the price really $730 now?

just curious, what size are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics