Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

This looks to be in the area of the shoe that will fold as you wear them. Trust me, after a few weeks of wear, you will barely even notice that.

2. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

to the clemson guy looking for suede, you might want to consider that the stock chukka is unlined, and i found my feet got cold during the winter with those. but you might be in s. carolina with limited cold stretches.

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

4. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

It is very common with Alden #8 shells. In most cases, the uneven dyes are apparent only in very strong light. Brushing does not help. Some may consider it as a defect, but it is so common that I think Alden would consider it as normal. Though, I have yet to see similar issues with Bordeaux Cordovan shoes from Carmina, Vass, C&J, Wolverine or AE.

5. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

I was playing i never got the 8d some other lucky person did maybe the wildstar fellow?!?

6. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Wow !! Those are sooo nice ... Fabulous clean makeup .. Americana personified :slayer:

7. dranguschu

dranguschu Active Member

[​IMG]

Finally I got them yesterday

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Gah! Beautiful! Can't wait to get mine... Next Monday... Enjoy!

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thank you sir, thank you

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Although I agree with several of the folks here in terms of the commonality of those spots on #8, it still isn't on all of their shoes. I also agree with the fact that they are where the creases are going to form and thus will be less noticeable than if they were say on the toe. But the fact remains, that there is very low chance of it ever going away and you just spent a hefty chunk of change on them. So it's entirely up to you as to whether you are happy with them or not, if you are keep them enjoy them and love the way that they will mature with age. Otherwise return them to the Crew for an exchange or refund. Good luck!

12. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

I have the same uneven dye on my #8 LWB and I also believe it is quite common on #8 shell from Alden.
    You can only see that in certain angle and lighting only.
    You can't brush that out either.

If I were you and no other defect found, I will keep it.

13. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

This is not common in my experience with color 8 shells. It is a significant discoloration and it will not change. I think it is completely unacceptable that retailer would hope it could pawn that off on someone. I have never seen a second from the ShoeMart that looks that bad.

Return them and either get a decent pair from J Crew or get color 8 LWB from anyone fthe many retailers who sell first quality Aldens when you pay first quality price

14. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Not trying to argue, but this is not much of discoloration but rather marks left from running dyes. Alden finish their dark color shell shoes with liquid dyes, as a way to even out the color variations and imperfections inherent in shell Cordovan. Frequently, the application of the dye is not perfectly even, leaving behind these marks.

Examine a few pairs of dark color shell Alden in very strong light (e.g. direct sun light), and you should see varying degrees of imperfections.

I am not saying that it is acceptable. Ultimately, it is the consumer's decision. BTW, an alternative option is to complain directly to Alden. I am pretty sure they will fix the issue for free, by applying more dyes to cover up the marks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

15. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Makes we want to wear my 4060s. I wish it wasn't going to be 94degrees today... I think I'll be breaking them back out this weekend as it is going to cool off considerably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.