1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thams

thams Senior member

Speaking of Leffot - that #8 Service Boot pre-order really came and went! It just appeared on the website and was updated as sold out. That saves me some pain since I would've had to choose between that and the cigar cap toe boot.

2. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Wow there were at least 10 sizes left 10 mins ago. Btw, why is viberg so expensive?

3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Must not be with they way their boots sell out! Must be a bargain that we are all missing!

4. thams

thams Senior member

Either some person bought up all the remaining sizes to resell later (not likely IMO) or there was a mad rush. I'm not surprised considering how quickly the #8 Tankers sold out.

I've never handled a Viberg boot before, but I understand the quality is outstanding - a notch above Alden. $1100 is pretty steep though... I'm not sure I could really stomach that price factoring in the other shell boots I already have. Maybe if it was my only shell boot purchase it would be more palatable.

5. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Well, Friday is going to be a sad day for me: I put up my color 8 LWBs with antique edge for sale on Ebay. They just didn't fit right. Of all the different shoes I've worn, those color 8s are the only ones that women consistently said, 'Ooh, I love your shoes." As soon as Leffot has another pre-order, I'm going to replace them with my proper size. Guess I'm not alone in thinking that particular make-up is awesome: within an hour, those shoes had hundreds of views and bidding was up to more than half the retail price. I tell you, Aldens really hold their value.

There is good news in all of this, however: today I received a replacement pair, boots I've wanted for a long time: AF84 from Alden of Carmel, brown calfskin boots. I am in love all over again.

Boys, let me tell you: the customer service at Alden of Carmel is truly exceptional. I'm headed out of town tomorrow for bidness and I asked Adam at AoC if he could get them here to Alaska before I left and he did it. I have nothing but the highest praise for Adam and Alden of Carmel. I love the customer service at Leffot, too, BTW. But Adam is the Babe Ruth of cust svc.

Here's a pic of my new boots, just unwrapped. You can see my old Tricker's in the background. Funny how old and beat-up they look compared to brand-new Aldens.

Carry on, boys. And Alden always.

[​IMG]

Here's the color 8 auction, if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Color...8195102?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a3b94351e

6. Shanil

Shanil Active Member

Took out my Cigar Captoe Boots out for a brush. Bought these two years ago, my very first pair of Alden. Worn them hundreds of times and love how the color has changed, quite a few olive tones.

At the time I never thought I'd be able to snag a rarer makeup, but patience and a simple call to a store landed me this prize. Best advice to those looking for Alden in the age of online shopping? Pickup the phone and make some calls!

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ Damn they are pretty!

8. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Love that olive tones!

9. green garden

green garden Senior member

Most likely. My Brannock is 8.5c. I wear 8.5c in AE-1, 8d in AE-5, 8.5c in plaza, 8c in Barrie. I find the 8.5c plaza a bit longer than the 8.5c AE-1. But I can't wear 8d plaza.

10. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Gorgeous. These are on my short list of remaining shell purchases.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

You will almost certainly get hit with customs if living in the US.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Those are burgundy. Nice find!!

13. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Snuff today:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Doctor Chan

Doctor Chan Active Member

Just made my first Alden purchase, went with the Union Hill Indy Boot from NS. Solid choice?

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

If you think so, yes. I do happen to think it is a beautiful boot. It's all ultimately about getting what you want according to your own taste, so I wouldn't put too much thought into whether others affirm that or not. If you took a poll, the majority of this board would tell you to get a plain toe blucher as your first Alden. Your taste is not the same as that reflected in a group poll, however. (I, myself, am not ever going to pick up an Alden PTB - not that there is anything wrong with them).

2 people like this.
  16. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Outstanding patina you have developed, there. Have you really worn them hundreds of times over just 2 years? Aside from the patina, they don't look that aged!

17. Shanil

Shanil Active Member

Thanks! Maybe hundreds is an overstatement, but most definitely at least 'a hundred'. I generally wear them 3 times a week during spring/fall/winter, you could possibly classify this as 'over-wearing' them. I only have three Aldens in my rotation (black calfskin nst, BB tan suede moc toe).

Note the extra creasing on the shoe to the right, the leather on the vamp is a bit thinner than the other boot. Lots of minor scratches that don't quite show up in the picture, up close they look well worn (but also well taken care of, if I do say so myself :) ). While I don't 'baby' them (they've seen a ton of rain), I also most definitely don't go out of my way to beat them up. I pretty much walk everywhere though.. downtown Vancouver is nice like that. The commando soles definitely help.

18. Doctor Chan

Doctor Chan Active Member

Yup, agreed. It was kind of what I was looking for to begin with. New to this specific thread, so def. plan on keeping up with you guys and of course pics!

19. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

looking for Alden in the age of online shopping? Pickup the phone and make some calls!

+1

20. ScuffedBluchers

ScuffedBluchers Senior member

What cigar cap toe boot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.