***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Sometimes I think Steven makes his some of his Alden makeups a bit too busy. Brass eyelets and the contrasting welt are a bit distracting on that model IMO. I like Alden NYC's Indy Boot a better when for a navy chromexcel option (though I don't think I will buy it)

Alden is pretty conservative, especially with their cordovan. Cordovan to them is a core part of their dress shoe and boot businesses, while other manufacturers may see it as more of a side novelty. Given a finite amount of hides available to them, Alden may just want to continue filing color 8, black, then cigar/ravello/whiskey orders as opposed to exploring new models. There seem to always be more orders in those five colors to fill.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The Plaza last has a lot of fans, but most retailers seem to indicate that Barrie is the most popular last for dress casual shoes / boots. That said a lot of buyers (maybe a majority) probably don't know or care about lasts, or would be fine with either

3. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Lovely boots sir.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Well said, what I was going for as in most buyers don't really think about everything we do here

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Thanks guys

You won't be disappointed

[​IMG]

Dress shoe laces for laces. Wish I had thought of it sooner

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thank you for the kind words, tifosi. If I find myself wearing a suit daily, as I once did, then I will use it as an excuse to acquire the 9070 and 9071 (Strait Tip Bal) as well.
    Thanks for the love RTP. Sometimes I wonder if I should just upload my pics and PM them directly to you! I favor the way that a black shoe looks with charcoal suit, but it's nice to throw Color 8 in there too and change things up.

So very kind of you to say so, Sir. I have very plain and conservative taste.

SFTG, I have always regarded you as a classy gentleman with impeccable taste, and these comments strongly reinforce that belief. Thank you for your praise and admiration.

I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie. (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups. If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie. I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I am with you, as my ideal size on the Barrie is a B width. I usually just go down one size and get the D. That's works for me, but not as ideal.

8. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I have a number of shell LHS and bought this summer the exact model you are contemplating -- tan suede LHS.

I really like the tan suede LHS - versatile, comfortable, and great-looking.

The suede does feel lighter than the shell LHS. The sole is more flexible than the single leather sole on the LHS, and the suede leather feels thinner, softer and lighter on the feet than shell. They feel like a different shoe than the shell LHS.

I live in a four season climate where the colder seasons are longer than the warmer ones. So I view the suede shoes as very seasonal and unable to see nearly the use that the shell LHS's do.

9. green garden

green garden Senior member

+1. I think Alden people are really good business people. They know their success model is to stick to their core designs and maintain their traditional image. But I will not complain if they come out with my navy naval boot dream MTO.

10. green garden

green garden Senior member

Same here. I am a C with the Barrie. I have tried to size down and go to a D but won't work, not when you're buying a $700 shoe. And it's too bad because the Barrie C actually fits me really well. So I'm in pre-order lists with a number of retailers hoping that even one of my requests will materialize.

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thank you sir.
    thank you tifosi.

thanks be.

12. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Changed my mind.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  13. krackpot

krackpot Member

Anyone do a pre-order from JGilbert in Seattle this year, receive their order yet? I ordered a pair of #8 captoes from them.

I've tried contacting them, but didn't get a response.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I agree, and I'll take Cigar, Ravello, or Whiskey over navy shell any day of the week, but the problem with this is that they haven't released any new shoes in these colors recently, and they have a 3+ year backlog to fill orders. Why not branch out in the meantime?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.