• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think Steven makes his some of his Alden makeups a bit too busy. Brass eyelets and the contrasting welt are a bit distracting on that model IMO. I like Alden NYC's Indy Boot a better when for a navy chromexcel option (though I don't think I will buy it)

Alden is pretty conservative, especially with their cordovan. Cordovan to them is a core part of their dress shoe and boot businesses, while other manufacturers may see it as more of a side novelty. Given a finite amount of hides available to them, Alden may just want to continue filing color 8, black, then cigar/ravello/whiskey orders as opposed to exploring new models. There seem to always be more orders in those five colors to fill.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I don't think plaza lasted boots are sought after outside of this forum

The Plaza last has a lot of fans, but most retailers seem to indicate that Barrie is the most popular last for dress casual shoes / boots. That said a lot of buyers (maybe a majority) probably don't know or care about lasts, or would be fine with either

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden 4065
Lovely boots sir.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Plaza last has a lot of fans, but most retailers seem to indicate that Barrie is the most popular last for dress casual shoes / boots. That said a lot of buyers (maybe a majority) probably don't know or care about lasts, or would be fine with either

Well said, what I was going for as in most buyers don't really think about everything we do here

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoe, Bakes. Something like that will be my next balmoral purchase.
Thank you for the kind words, tifosi. If I find myself wearing a suit daily, as I once did, then I will use it as an excuse to acquire the 9070 and 9071 (Strait Tip Bal) as well.
Nothin' but love for you here my friend. I have placed the black shell PCT bals on my Alden que behind an NST. It may be a while though. Keep posting your pics!
Thanks for the love RTP. Sometimes I wonder if I should just upload my pics and PM them directly to you! I favor the way that a black shoe looks with charcoal suit, but it's nice to throw Color 8 in there too and change things up.

Agreed - Bakes, they look fabulous! Nice suit too.
So very kind of you to say so, Sir. I have very plain and conservative taste.

Both models are great. Well done.

The 9015 and 9016, or their BB brethren, are business staples for many of us that buy Aldens, at least in part, for professional business dress. And the same goes for the 2160 and 2161, or their BB brethren.
SFTG, I have always regarded you as a classy gentleman with impeccable taste, and these comments strongly reinforce that belief. Thank you for your praise and admiration.

I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie. (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups. If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie. I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie.  (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups.  If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie.  I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?

I am with you, as my ideal size on the Barrie is a B width. I usually just go down one size and get the D. That's works for me, but not as ideal.

aldenwear

Reaction score
Who here has the Unlined Suede LHS with the flex soles. How is the fit compared to other LHS lined and unlined. I would imagine they would stretch out some. Is the sole flimsy vs the normal single sole? Thanks for any imput .. Contemplating a light tan model .. My princess is tired of so many brown/#8 shoes.
biggrin.gif

I have a number of shell LHS and bought this summer the exact model you are contemplating -- tan suede LHS.

I really like the tan suede LHS - versatile, comfortable, and great-looking.

The suede does feel lighter than the shell LHS. The sole is more flexible than the single leather sole on the LHS, and the suede leather feels thinner, softer and lighter on the feet than shell. They feel like a different shoe than the shell LHS.

I live in a four season climate where the colder seasons are longer than the warmer ones. So I view the suede shoes as very seasonal and unable to see nearly the use that the shell LHS's do.

green garden

Reaction score
Sometimes I think Steven makes his some of his Alden makeups a bit too busy. Brass eyelets and the contrasting welt are a bit distracting on that model IMO. I like Alden NYC's Indy Boot a better when for a navy chromexcel option (though I don't think I will buy it)

Alden is pretty conservative, especially with their cordovan. Cordovan to them is a core part of their dress shoe and boot businesses, while other manufacturers may see it as more of a side novelty. Given a finite amount of hides available to them, Alden may just want to continue filing color 8, black, then cigar/ravello/whiskey orders as opposed to exploring new models. There seem to always be more orders in those five colors to fill.

+1. I think Alden people are really good business people. They know their success model is to stick to their core designs and maintain their traditional image. But I will not complain if they come out with my navy naval boot dream MTO.

green garden

Reaction score
I can't fit in to a B/D Barrie. (I need a C), which prevents me from purchasing many special make-ups. If my Thor boot materializes, and if they do a Pre-order for the Color 8 naval boot that would allow me to order a narrow width, then I would have pretty much everything that I really want when it comes to Barrie. I always really liked the LS Cigar Pitt Boot, but have something pretty similar from Rancourt, so I have scratched that itch.

Not really a problem for Alden or their retailers, because there seems to be plenty D widths out there to buy the Barrie Special Make-ups, but I wonder, are there many others out there who can't fill the heel of D-with Barrie shoe/boot?
Same here. I am a C with the Barrie. I have tried to size down and go to a D but won't work, not when you're buying a $700 shoe. And it's too bad because the Barrie C actually fits me really well. So I'm in pre-order lists with a number of retailers hoping that even one of my requests will materialize.

krackpot

Reaction score
Anyone do a pre-order from JGilbert in Seattle this year, receive their order yet? I ordered a pair of #8 captoes from them.

I've tried contacting them, but didn't get a response.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope Alden sticks with the shell colors they have. :nodding:

I agree, and I'll take Cigar, Ravello, or Whiskey over navy shell any day of the week, but the problem with this is that they haven't released any new shoes in these colors recently, and they have a 3+ year backlog to fill orders. Why not branch out in the meantime?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads