1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

On a blucher I'm with you - but on a balmoral you can make the front seam perfect bar laced, with little to no effort on a 5 eyelet... IMO

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I mean the actual process of pulling them tight. With cross lacing, I grab each side of the cross lacing and pull, moving up the eyelets. I can't do that with bar lacing. It's just more of a pain in the ass than the look is worth for me. And on bals, with my instep, bar lacing makes it look worse.

3. Buckeye Nation

On a balmoral with your shoe fit are you able to get the left and right side to touch when pulled tight?

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh goodness I wish! At least not on any balmoral I own.

5. Buckeye Nation

That's a major difference - mine fit like a glove when bar laced, and "zipped" up

I run them similar to this : http://www.styleforum.net/t/322795/...hich-american-great-do-you-prefer-official/90

But I finish coming up through on the 5th eyelet so the knot pull everything nice and tight and drops in the V at the top, all I am pulling tight are the 3rd and 4th holes, it's quite easy really - no effort at all....

EDIT - better pic, scroll down to the post by Morgan, this is exactly how I lace mine

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/34050

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Snuff suede SW today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Wonderful. If forced to choose, I would take this stock model over nearly every model offered on a limited run basis.

2 people like this.
  8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

What this means, as a practical matter, is that you bar lace very few models. :D

I bar lace virtually every model - bal or blucher, odd or even**. IMO, it presents an overall cleaner look. Some see it differently and I have no problem with that.

** With odd eyelets, I use a single diagonal pass in the lacing - at the very top - and it's less noticeable due to the bows and shoelace ends. In many models, particularly bals, it is not noticeable at all.

1 person likes this.
  9. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

had I not just kicked down a grand for the EG dovers, i'd jump on the 2210s right this minute. my rule is one split toe a month.

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Agreed. It is my next purchase from Alden without a doubt. Very clean and well proportioned.

11. WTGuthrie

WTGuthrie Member

Just talked to Denim Bar and they will be shipping out their Alden shoes tomorrow if you haven't received yours already. My Indie boots and Dovers should be shipping tomorrow. Super excited!

12. circleslife

circleslife Senior member

Is that Eastland?

13. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Meant to post these two pics a while ago. I took them the day I purchased my ravello chukkas and Color 8 cap toe boots.

I know there are significant differences in shell color depending on type and quality of lighting, etc., as is particularly evident with recent shoe pics and discussions on this forum. I thought I would add to the topic by showing these ravello chukkas compared with the Color 8 boots.

The first pic is inside under incandescent lighting with a window open (please excuse sock fuzz in the background).

[​IMG]

The second pic is outside in direct sun.
    [​IMG]

The chukkas almost look like they made from pumpkin rather than shell cordovan!

2 people like this.
  14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Gentlemen, all the shoes posted today looked awesome! I kind of felt guilty as I wore my C&J boots to Alden DC. Didn't think I was going to make it to the store.

1 person likes this.
  16. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I have the same issue. I have a high instep and have never gotten the totally closed look on any balmorals. It was really bad with AE's where it was a pretty wide V shape. It's not as pronounced on my Church's or AS.

17. Bonney

Bonney Senior member

That 8 color in direct sunlight looks fantastic

18. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Mike, anything of note in DC?

Surprised Kathy didn't lock the doors as soon as she spotted you wearing C&J boots!

19. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

On the same topic, here are a couple of pictures I took of my cigar indy's on commando on the same day with same camera. Only difference other than angle and distance was that the sun was out in the first pic and it was overcast in the second. Actual color is probably in between...depending on lighting :) [​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Are exotic shell colors more expensive than regular colors such as color 8?

Before taxes, regular colors are $665 and exotics are around $750?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.