• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironminded

Reaction score
some recent Appreciation including the unlined ptb and coolarrow's 2060

Namor-

If you don't mind me asking; Where are these from? I've been looking for a boot with eyelets all the way up and these look really nice. Are they shell or calf?

Great looking boots by the way!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NAMOR, that is an epic post for a well-travelled pair of boots. Much respect!
:slayer:

Namor-

If you don't mind me asking; Where are these from?  I've been looking for a boot with eyelets all the way up and these look really nice.  Are they shell or calf?  

Great looking boots by the way!

Thanks guys. The boots were offered by Jcrew earlier this year. Made from black shell

JermynStreet

Reaction score
The insole cannot be replaced. It is a byproduct of the way the shoe is manufactured. During an Alden restoration, they may sew a new piece of leather into the inside lining of the heel and they will replace the heelpad w/ a new one that reads "Alden Restoration," but besides that, I don't know of any other modifications they'll do to the interior. The corkbed, however, is replaced. This sits in between the insole and sole. The insole though is what contains the previous owners imprint. Replacing the cork helps, but it is not a full solution. As has been recently discussed, Nick at B. Nelson can soak the insole in shoe stretching solution or something similar and try to flatten it out when recrafting. I think that's the best solution I've heard if the shoes really have an unmanageable imprint.
Zbix, with all due respect, this is not true. The insole can definitely be replaced. Here are a few diagrams of how goodyear welts are made.

goodyear_croquis_us.gif

The insole wall (which is part of the insole) is glued to the gemming which is then stitched onto the leather upper. If a cobbler wanted to come in and switch the sole, it would be time intensive (only because of the time associated with digging out a new insole), but certainly not impossible. Someway back in the thread there was a picture of a stack of clearly used Alden insoles next to a stack of new ones. If the insole is nasty enough, it can easily be replaced.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys. The boots were offered by Jcrew earlier this year. Made from black shell

Yeah, those boots are featured prominently in J Crew's fall/winter lookbook this year. Hopefully they are available again in a couple of months

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rank these black boots:

Tanker on commando

Perforated captoe on leather

Indy Boot

The order you have listed works for me. I'm a sucker for Alden commando.

brooklyn

Reaction score
Are Alden shoe trees necessary or can I just go to nordstrom rack to pick up a pair? I thought their trees were last specific but found out that they are not.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Alden shoe trees necessary or can I just go to nordstrom rack to pick up a pair? I thought their trees were last specific but found out that they are not.
I've noticed no ill effects from using trees from nordstrom or JAB.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've noticed no ill effects from using trees from nordstrom or JAB. 

So has anyone here scanned their feet and used a 3D printer to make personalized shoe trees?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice score alcibiades. IME, it felt like the unlined version fit almost 1/2 smaller than the typical barrie fit. I tried sneaking into a 11E unlined ptb with no luck. Conversely, I am able to fit into a 11E (TTS 12D) barrie chukka snugly. The unlined shoe is far sleeker imo

Interesting as I just got some 11D unlined snuff ptbs and they are a pretty solid fit (normally 10.5d or 10e). Length is a bit long (but so is 10.5d Barrie) but width feels a little tight so it will be perfect once broken in. Pictures with a Barrie boot for reference, looks like an 11d but fits half size smaller for me as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads