***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Re: the conversation about trying on Aldens. Why don't stores just reserve a few pairs in every size and last for try ons? It seems like it would cure a lot of discord among retailers. I'm surprised some of the more progressive stores like Leffot and Epaulet haven't thought of something like this.

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

That would be awesome. I'd love to try tons of different sizes and widths in every last. But with all the different size and width options for every last, the store would need to have a massive stock on hand.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Yeah, that's too many shoes to have in stock. 6-12, C-E, many lasts, etc. And people are accustomed to buying the actual pair they try on.

4. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I mean not really. How many returns have they had that they have had to turn into seconds because they were creased? Alden lasts don't really change. Plus I don't think they'd need every size. I am just talking like 8-12 in most of the major lasts (barrie, hampton, aberdeen). Just an idea.

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Congrats on your new PTB; one of Alden's best! Wear often and in great health my friend...

6. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

These are really great

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I was thinking bigger...every last with widths AAA-EEE. If you were just going to have sizes 8-12 in most of the major lasts, it doesn't sound like it would even be useful, since the bigger stores like Alden DC and Alden SF (maybe even LS and Leffot) would already have those in stock anyway.

8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

My friend, think of what exactly it is you're saying. Sizes 8-12 (including half sizes) in C,D, and E widths would mean 27 pairs of shoes per last. If you stocked them in barrie, hampton, aberdeen, and trubalance. That equates to 108 pairs of shoes to stock so that a bunch of us here could "try on" so we could buy on line and avoid tax and other mark ups. What retailer wants to sign up for that? If retailers pay half of msrp for Alden shoes, in effect they would have to stock $32,000+ in Aldens for customers to try on. Not even close to being a wise investment unless you primarily sell Alden and even then it's a terrible deal.

Go to Alden on Madison and ask to try several sizes for several different lasts and see how long they will pay attention to you. If you're not buying, they'll be ticked off, and I don't blame them. Why would any retailer want ot provide that service knowing that the vast majority would simply buy online for a better deal?

As for returns and creasing, I don't really know much about that but I seriously doubt Alden DC, Madison, and SanFran are moving large #s of tried-on shoes to seconds. These retailers are paying much greater attention to how customers wear the shoes when they try them on... instructing people not to flex and crease when trying.

9. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I've been waiting for my pre-order of the LS plaza captoe boots in #8 with blind eyelets and THE GREEN ALDEN box already in transit according to FedEx tracking :satisfied:

10. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Unipair's rack rate includes 20% VAT which, depending on where you live, you may not have to pay. Unipair is a little higher to very close to U.S. pricing.

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Rtp is spot on, zero reason to stock try on pairs if they are all sellable. And slight creasing probably doesn't make them seconds, just go to Barneys sale time and take a look at the shoes that are selling new

Another issue here is that all the A and even B lasts are super old wooden lasts and almost not in working condition. Not sure how much longer lasts will last but don't think alden would want to use them on test shoes

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

My experience supports this, in that I have received severely creased shoes from Alden DC as first quality, and I am not exaggerating when I say severely.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

No. Cornstarch first. Perhaps two applications. Then the suede cleaner.

Next time, get the tarrago spray. It is unreal.

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

That saphir suede shampoo didn't do jack on an olive oil stain I had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.