• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede LWBs are awesome but retailers tend not order E widths in them. Maybe Alden NYC...

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A small-timer here - my only shell and my only pair of argyles
biggrin.gif
Great Combo Are these ravello or color 8? I like that shade of cordovan

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RTP, I own both and confirm the third eyelet makes a huge difference in the fit and comfort. I am considering having a cobbler add a third eyelet to my Alden Chukkas

I never even thought of two eyelets being a problem. I've only worn my color 8's from Laden of Carmel in the house and haven't noticed an issue. If this changes when I actually venture outdoors, rydenfan, where are you considering having the third eyelet added? Above or below the existing two?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

biggrin.gif
It takes a certain amount of confidence to pair plaid and argyles. You pull it off very well. Really nice shoes as well. Nicely done.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would you gentlemen order if alden offered a one-time-only special order?

Sorry, I'm a little late to the game.

I'd do a Whiskey and Ravello saddle blucher, flat 360 welt, sigle waterlock sole, blind eyelets, antique edgetrim. :slayer:

Much like the LS #4 and black saddle from a few years back.

This Shoe
4sad1.jpg

With this colorway (i know this specific shoe is Mahogany, but you get that idea)
LL

neutrino

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your combo looks great - real gumption to combine bold plaid with argyles and you do it well.

And finally argyles that bear some color relation to the pants they are with. It looks fantastic, as do your aldens. Thanks for posting.
Great Combo

Are these ravello or color 8? I like that shade of cordovan

It takes a certain amount of confidence to pair plaid and argyles. You pull it off very well. Really nice shoes as well. Nicely done.

Thank you, gentlemen! I'm humbled by the comments. These are actually cigar. I think I need to start searching for a proper edge dressing for them.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I never even thought of two eyelets being a problem. I've only worn my color 8's from Laden of Carmel in the house and haven't noticed an issue. If this changes when I actually venture outdoors, rydenfan, where are you considering having the third eyelet added? Above or below the existing two?

I would go above to provide a bit more ankle support. It's not a huge deal and I love Chukkas very much as a style but the third eyelet does make a difference. I am eagerly awaiting the 6 eyelet chukka to get confirmed. I also like Carminas 5 eyelet.

A 6 eyelet NST Cigar chukka would make my short list for Mr.DV's question from yesterday.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would go above to provide a bit more ankle support. It's not a huge deal and I love Chukkas very much as a style but the third eyelet does make a difference. I am eagerly awaiting the 6 eyelet chukka to get confirmed. I also like Carminas 5 eyelet.

A 6 eyelet NST Cigar chukka would make my short list for Mr.DV's question from yesterday.

Interesting as I thought you would go below. But your reasoning makes a lot of sense. This is definitely something I will watch out for for a couple of reasons. One, I'm fortunate enough to have access to a really good cobbler here in Pgh. This guy does amazing work. Also, my chukkas were my first new purchase and I went down a 1/2 size in the barrie last. In hindsight, I should have went down a complete size as they are still a little roomy. The third set of eyelets may mitigate this condition a little. Either way, this is really good information. Thanks again for the tip.

pasteurisation

Reaction score
Hello, I need your advices as I don't know much about Alden shoes. Do you think it is a good deal if I can get these Indy boots at $200.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ShawnC, you may want to try a thin insole. I have had good success in shoes that are a bit too roomy

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. IF those are a 9D you'd better buy 'em quick before I track down where they're listed.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

Fine looking LWBs Neutrino! I especially like the patina. The ensemble is quite nice too. Wear your gunboats often and in great health my friend...

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved my J Crew suede LWB, but the stitching came undone on one of them. They let me return the shoes for a full refund nearly a year after I purchased them. That's some pretty top rate customer service, if you ask me. Unfortunately they didn't have my size in the same shoe so I ended up getting the Cadet Shell Blucher instead. I'm definitely going to buy more shoes from them.

I have my eyes on that same boot, too
drool.gif
. I have a pair of desert boots and I love the crepe sole.

That suede LWB might become my white whale...
Sorry to hear about your Snuff LWBs. The cadet shoe is a nice replacement. I wonder though, if dealing with Alden directly might have ended with a repaired shoe. You'll get your crack at it again. What size are you? Unfortunately (or fortunately) J Crew currently does not have my size in the snuff boot. Best of luck my friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads