Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Nice boots! I'm doing the same with my Naval boots right now. I now sort of understand the sizing up with Barrie Last boots. My one foot is slightly snug -- but I think it will loosen up.

:fistbump:

2. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

it helps that the boots i posted are on a commando sole. i am under the assumption that they wouldn't put on a commando sole if you weren't supposed to wear them in inclement weather. this'll be my second fall/winter with them.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It does. Thank you my friend...

4. ReppTiePrepster

Nice C. Enjoy them in great health!

5. ReppTiePrepster

Congrats Gosheik... lookin' really good my friend!

6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Sweet!

7. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Thank you, Sir. I am so glad I moved up a half size - it's really true that Barrie last boots fit more snug than Barrie shoes. Now I just need to dig out my camera and take some real photos.

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thank you gentlemen ! Appreciated!

9. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Todd, did you go up a half size for the Naval Boot? That's what I did (half size up from what I normally get for Barrie last shoes).

10. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

For anyone reading out there reading the advice above ('going a half size up for Barrie last boots' versus what one normally wears in Barrie last shoes) I just want to point out that I am an 11C on the Brannock, and D width Barries don't fit me particularly well to begin with. I usually buy Barrie last shoes in 10D - one full size down, instead of the recommended half size. It usually works. But not for boots - just too tight (length and width) - so I 'sized up' one half size to 10.5D, and that works great for me. I've got a 10.5C Barrie last boot on order, which I think will be my perfect Barrie size for boots and shoes going forward.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

11. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Thanks Gentlemen. And those pics are great! I may be going against the grain here, but I've been considering a shell Indy boot with crepe (rather than Commando) sole. I've read the criticisms of the plantation crepe sole generally, and the (aesthetic-based) criticism of it on an Indy boot in particular. My thinking is that crepe is very comfortable and quiet on most surfaces (if you've worn the crepe sole you know it's quiet, even when wet, on almost any flooring - always surprised when it squeaks on certain floors). It's also going to be more pliable than a leather sole so it should break in quickly and be an exceptionally comfortable outdoor/street boot. And it should work fine as a "winter-ready" boot out here in the Pacific Northwest, where rain and mud are more common than actual ice and snow.

12. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

Looking forward to breaking these in.[​IMG]

13. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I went normal Barrie size (down 1/2 size from tts). My right toes are a little snug but the stiff double leather sole exacerbates that. So, I expect them to feel good when they soften up a bit.

They definitely feel less roomy than a Barrie lasted shoe and I'm just not sure why that happenes.

14. Luisesp

Luisesp Member

First wear Natural Chromexcel PTB from Alden Shop SF. Extremely comfortable shoe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gosheik

gosheik Senior member

Thanks for the kind words on the new cap toes, guys! I now have an Alden for every occasion (unless there are Alden flip-flops too). Check out the variation on the Chukka vs. Cap Toe #8s. I never imagined the colors could be so different across batches/pairs.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.