• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldenfan

Reaction score
Not to stray too far off topic here, but yes all Baldwin Denim is sanforized. Not every tailor has chain stitch equipment so it is important to have them altered at the correct location. you can also send them back to Baldwin and they will do the alteration for you. Because the Baldwin is sewn with an overlocking inseam it is technically possible to have them tapered; however are you sure you want to? The Henley has a pretty tight knee and small cuff opening to begin with so any tapering would make them quite a skinny jean. Personal preference, of course, but I would not taper them.
Sorry everyone for straying off topic. I'll take further questions to another thread. Thank you sir for the info. Makes sense, and all good to know. Was considering having them tapered a bit below the knee as I need a 38 waist (wide shoulder and waist) but long legs so the opening just seemed a little billowy. I think you're right though once I get them hemmed they will probably feel like a correct cuff opening. Thank you for the help.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Seriously, that has got to be the most insane price I have ever seen for a brand new Ravello LWB. The seller clearly didn't know what they had

...and it would hurt so much less if those were in like an 8.5 and 9 and not an 11.5
baldy[1].gif

100 yrs

Reaction score

Hello Everyone:

I am writing in the hopes that some of the more knowledgeable members of this forum can assist me...

I am looking for a pair of Alden boots that were available at J Crew...

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~19204/19204.jsp

I just picked up the context roy boot in snuff suede, the largest difference is the roy boot has a double water lock sole vs. crepe for j crew version.

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=4139

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If we're talking about polish wax doesn't the Mac Method say use it sparingly?
If at all. The goal, if I'm using the Mac Method correctly is not to use any wax polish, just wiping with a damp cloth and vigorous brushing followed by buffing with a dry cloth. If I am incorrect please feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MAC: nephew, I will win in the long run.

If by win you mean convince me that the 2145 is more formal than the 9015 (which was your initial assertion), I am sorry to report you will not win. :D

The 2145 loses this formality battle on at least two fronts: (1) blucher v. bal, and (2) heavy broguing vs. minimal broguing.

I have both models in question and like them both, so this is not a matter of liking one shoe over the other.

I am slightly surprised this is even being debated. But as we agreed early on: good people can agree to disagree.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If at all. The goal, if I'm using the Mac Method correctly is not to use any wax polish, just wiping with a damp cloth and vigorous brushing followed by buffing with a dry cloth. If I am incorrect please feel free to correct me.

This is where I am getting it from and where I have seen other people reference. Is there another source we should be referencing?

Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score
nephew,
if you came from the right side of the tracks, you would know to call the trousers khakis (two winkles)
I am proud of coming from the side of the tracks from which I came.

Where I come from, we call those trousers "plain britches" (versus "fancy britches") and we would say that wearin' them plain britches with them goin'-to-Sunday-meetin'-shoes is pretendin' you are steppin' through high cotton. We would encourage you not to go puttin' on airs that way. (Two winks).

Now, where you come from, what is the difference between chinos and kakhis? Aren't they roughly synonyms?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...and it would hurt so much less if those were in like an 8.5 and 9 and not an 11.5
baldy%5B1%5D.gif

It was 10.5 so not that bad. My size though and I bought edward greens from the seller too before should have checked more
Seriously, that has got to be the most insane price I have ever seen for a brand new Ravello LWB. The seller clearly didn't know what they had

They kind of knew I'm sure, they sold shell edward greens for $650 too, pretty sure original owner didn't care about getting back what he paid, at least $40k worth of shoes sold already I think

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think that if someone with my overall appearance (age, haircut, build, ect.) and presence were to wear the 9015 with khakis they would look out of place, while someone with your overall presence could get away with it.

Just as I said months ago that not just anyone can pull off the Tassel look, I hold that not just anyone can pull of the 9015 with khakis look.

While I feel that I can pull off the Tassel look, I do not feel that I am able to pull off the balmoral with khaki look.  You, Uncle, pull off both looks quite successfully.

Even though I think that 9015s and khakis would look awkward on me, I do not think that the same combination would look awkward on certain personalities.

Most men have the ability to grow a mustache, however, not every man looks good with a mustache.

The Monopoly Man's monocle serves him well, however, I would look silly using one.

I hope that I have communicated my feelings effectively with the use of these silly analogies.

nephew,
my instincts tell me what you could pull off anything you really want to do. the trick is to stare in your mirror for five minutes with the attire that you are concern that you could not wear in public. try it! it will work!

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gentlemen looking for advice for my next pair of aldens i'm going for black cordovan for sure but i'd like to know straight tip or cap toe? which one :stirpot:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nephew,
on my blog I say no wax until a minimum of 20 wearing. the blog is missing that the ultimate goal is to never use polish. I am responsible for this omission.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is where I am getting it from and where I have seen other people reference. Is there another source we should be referencing?

nephew,
see my blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads