• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes and, as always, impeccably maintained and presented. But, sadly, completely and totally inappropriate for chinos.

Like wearing a morning coat with denim short pants.

i agree that men of good will, etc. But wrong is wrong. (kidding).
Wow, first Jimmy Carter and the prime and now the proper execution of Perf Cap Toe Oxfords....
nest.gif

This makes for interesting argumentation and debate!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are supporting the rules of style and good taste in those tight hootchie pants?

: )

Sorry, could not resist. I understand your point but there are exceptions to the rule and some people can pull off what most others cannot. As I see it, while the style of that shoe is *more* formal, it is brown, not black, and therefore not strictly formal. Just my thoughts.
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

In addition, the perforations may also lend itself to the more informal khaki pants.
To each his own, my friends, whether it be a particular style of denim or shoe execution.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, first Jimmy Carter and the prime and now the proper execution of Perf Cap Toe Oxfords....
nest.gif

This makes for interesting argumentation and debate!
Are they Cap-Toe or Straight Tip, I forget?
confused.gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think my good friend Aldenwear is saying that he is in a no-win situation. You're doing just fine my friend. No one here is taking it personally and neither should you. Look forward to hearing/seeing from you on your next work break.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my first post. I just received a pair of Alden shoes I had recrafted/resoled by B. Nelson. I am very pleased with the results. The shoes are a pair of NST in black, more than 10 years old. I opted for the standard resole package, but I asked them to replace with a double sole because I prefer that finish. That is part of the reason I went with B. Nelson, rather than Alden. I assumed it would be difficult to customize in this way through Alden. Nick was very quick to respond upon receipt and the work was done in about 10 days. They did a very nice job. The experience really was first rate. I would have no hesitation using them again on other shoes and recommend them.

Congrats, welcome to the thread, and it's good to know B Nelson is the place to go when Alden will not replace their soles with different materials. Post some pics if you can...

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nephew,
why?

I think that if someone with my overall appearance (age, haircut, build, ect.) and presence were to wear the 9015 with khakis they would look out of place, while someone with your overall presence could get away with it.

Just as I said months ago that not just anyone can pull off the Tassel look, I hold that not just anyone can pull of the 9015 with khakis look.

While I feel that I can pull off the Tassel look, I do not feel that I am able to pull off the balmoral with khaki look. You, Uncle, pull off both looks quite successfully.

Even though I think that 9015s and khakis would look awkward on me, I do not think that the same combination would look awkward on certain personalities.

Most men have the ability to grow a mustache, however, not every man looks good with a mustache.

The Monopoly Man's monocle serves him well, however, I would look silly using one.

I hope that I have communicated my feelings effectively with the use of these silly analogies.

Last edited:

alladin

Reaction score
What is the general opinion regarding shoe cream/polish for alden #8 - coloured polish or neutral?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the general opinion regarding shoe cream/polish for alden #8 - coloured polish or neutral?
No polish is the recommendation. Do a Search for the MAC Method which is the recommended practice

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm just going to leave this here....

First quality Aldens at stupid prices. I totally lucked into the Ravello longwings in my size for 270 shipped!!!!!!!

Again good luck guys!

Good lord. You lucky bastard. The ravello longwings have to be the best looking gunboats. New!?!? $270?!?!?!
Thanks for sharing.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good lord. You lucky bastard. The ravello longwings have to be the best looking gunboats. New!?!? $270?!?!?!
Thanks for sharing.

Seriously, that has got to be the most insane price I have ever seen for a brand new Ravello LWB. The seller clearly didn't know what they had

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics