• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ravello lhs

Beautiful Ravello! Hope you had a relaxing Sunday Uncle!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1. I love this boot! Can't wait for the weather to turn to put it back in rotation … it's gonna be like 99° at work tomorrow :(

do you work outdoors or indoors?

tampatravel

Reaction score

I just found out that I will be in Chicago for the upcoming weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Alden shopping? My wife and I have been there once or twice but we are far from experts. The last time I was there was years ago and I had net yet been afflicted with the 'Alden flu'. Surprisingly a google search returned mixed results.

Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Shawn...the Alden's are easy to find in Chicago! Look for the Hancock Building (95+ stories tall) and go to the Delaware St entrance. You can't miss Hanig's Footwear!

Here's a nice article on tracking down some Alden's in Chicago:
http://m.chicago.racked.com/archive...review-where-to-find-it-in-the-windy-city.php

It would be remiss of me if I didn't mention the Ralph Lauren store just down the way a few blocks on Michigan Ave. Just look for the Mansion next to the Park Hyatt. It's RL's largest store and has a pretty amazing restaurant next to it called...you guessed it RL.

There are Alden's carried by the Brooks Brothers store on N Michigan Ave too.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nephew,
jimmy carter hands down as the worst and he is still getting his pension 33 years after he was retired
As far as graft and corruption within an administration are concerned, the Grant and Harding administrations make the Nixon administration look like choir boys. As for effective leadership, your Carter argument is pretty strong. James Buchanon and Andrew Johnson aren't that far behind.

Sorry to stray, couldn't help myself.
wink.gif

Uncle, you're looking good in your ravello LHS, as usual!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was curious what y'all thought of the Plaza and Aberdeen lasted NST (shoes). Which do you prefer?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was curious what y'all thought of the Plaza and Aberdeen lasted NST (shoes). Which do you prefer?
I have the boot on Plaza and it is far and away my best fitting boot. I love the shoe on Aberdeen and have both a calf and shell and love the fit and style. Just won a pair in #8
smile.gif

Don't have a Plaza show but my feeling is that the Plaza and Aberdeen are very close in fit...

Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score
I just found out that I will be in Chicago for the upcoming weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Alden shopping? My wife and I have been there once or twice but we are far from experts. The last time I was there was years ago and I had net yet been afflicted with the 'Alden flu'. Surprisingly a google search returned mixed results.

Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.
Very slim pickins. There is a place called Haberdasher - hip men's store that carries a very limited number of Alden shoes in very limited sizes. A shoe store here called Hanigs is supposed to have Aldens, but they have very few styles and a very limited run of sizes. I have found that none of the Brooks Brothers stores have Alden styles except for the Michigan Avenue and Loop stores, and their selection is, again, very slim with very few sizes.

It would be a far better use of your time hitting the architectural boat tour down the Chicago River, walking the lakefront, going to the Shedd Aquarium, the Museum of Natural History, the Art Institute and the modern art museum, all of which are of the best around.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawn...the Alden's are easy to find in Chicago! Look for the Hancock Building (95+ stories tall) and go to the Delaware St entrance. You can't miss Hanig's Footwear!

Here's a nice article on tracking down some Alden's in Chicago:
http://m.chicago.racked.com/archive...review-where-to-find-it-in-the-windy-city.php

It would be remiss of me if I didn't mention the Ralph Lauren store just down the way a few blocks on Michigan Ave. Just look for the Mansion next to the Park Hyatt. It's RL's largest store and has a pretty amazing restaurant next to it called...you guessed it RL.

There are Alden's carried by the Brooks Brothers store on N Michigan Ave too.

Good stuff tampatravel. I'll bookmark this site and see how things turn out. If all goes well, I hope to purchase my first pair of in-store Alden's. Thanks a lot for going the extra mile and posting a link in addition the the info you provided.

REguy

Reaction score
I told myself I was done with the pre-order game, but the Leffot tankers called to me. I actually had a pair from their very first batch. Unfortunately, the larger sizes came with black rather than brown soles, so I returned them. After waiting until sometime in 2014, I hope Alden doesn't screw them up again.

I seem to remember getting on a list for a funky sounding pair of LWBs from LS ages ago, but I've completely given up on those. I believe they were #8, Plaza, brown edging, and brass eyelets.

aldenwear

Reaction score
nephew,
jimmy carter hands down as the worst and he is still getting his pension 33 years after he was retired
While Jimi was not among the country's best prez, this comment is unburdened by historical knowledge or perspective.

aldenwear

Reaction score
I have both and like both. The plaza last is a very pleasing shape. The Aberdeen is more pointed and with the NST stitching, is very unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads