• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score

Finally I have something to contribute in Aden thread Alden for J.Gilbert makeup - nst boots model 45152HC, shell #8, commando sole, Plaza last. Fit is good, as I ordered US10E - my normal size is UK9,5E I like the fit of Plaza much more than fit of Barrie and Aberdeen (the nastiest one I've tried).
Nice looking boot, Sir. NST on the Plaza last is a great combo.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Tifolsi-any chance you can share how you inquired about MTO's. Their website is not very instructive.

Sorry. I haven't been on much this weekend. Did you get your answer??
I am in contact with Allison. If you need her email, pm me.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me BeSpiff, laundering and ironing dress shirts (no matter how good you get at it) does not bring nearly the feeling one gets from shoe care. We've got a couple of really good cobblers here in Pittsburgh that I would trust with my most trusted pair of Alden's. But when it comes to shines, be it calf or shell, there is just a sense of satisfaction that I get from sitting in my basement or back yard and taking care of them myself. I am gently trying to instill some of this enthusiasm into my son. Let's just say that it is till a work in progress.

I get NO satisfaction from ironing my shirts or chinos (when they need it). But...I find that polishing my shoes and boots is almost like a meditation session for me. It allows me to focus on what I am doing and empty the restless mind of everything else. I initially worried about the "obligation" of maintaining my boot collection as it started to grow but it is something I look forward to doing now.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CEE88

Reaction score

IIRC, CTYGGG has the six blind eyelet dover cousin.

Thank you Bakes11771. I did see CTYGGG's post from earlier this year & it sure looks similar (except the side stitching). I was just curious about the Alden NY four eyelet version - whether it really is just a four eyelet Ranger Mocc. It reminds me of an old Made in Maine LL Bean moc shoe that I own. Love to have something similar in shell.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice catch Crat. I've never seen a pic of shell shoes and fly fishing gear. Some details please. What kind of fish did you catch on what tackle? It's kind of like president Warren G. Harding fishing in a three-piece suit. Nicely done sir!

CEE88

Reaction score

My natural CXL Alden Indy boots are breaking in nicely after about 3 months :D
Nice boots MrEsco. I've looked at this one several times, but I really want to get an Indy in a C width, which seems to limit the options to the 405 & 403.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sir, to my knowledge non-iron shirts, your standard BB as an example, are treated with a chemical that makes them more wrinkle resistant. To me non-iron shirts feel less breathable, and thus less comfortable. Guilty as charged of being overly finicky and persnickety.

Makes two of us. I've tried the no-iron variety and it just doesn't feel the same as your typical cotton shirt that needs pressed. I've gotten so used to ironing and starching shirts over the years that I've never considered a steamer. Based on a few previous posts, I may investigate this option further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads