• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

king ptb
argyles otc

Tassels, medallions, wing tips, etc. all are fashionable and look great. But IMO, nothing shows off the quality of Alden shell like a #8 PTB. Add in your typical shine and impeccable ensemble and you have an unbeatable combination. Wear in the best of health.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks to YOUR method and my newfound meditation (it turns out shining shoes is pretty darn therapeutic--as long as they're your own, anyway : )

Timing is everything and this post reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife yesterday morning about my enthusiasm for shoe care. I often find myself looking at my collection and searching for a pair or two that need some care. It doesn't matter if I plan on wearing them, I have simply gotten to the point where I don't mind doing the work and I really enjoy how the shoes look when I'm done. Deciding which cream is best, whether to use renovater, wax or no wax, bone or no bone, there is I certain method to all of it and I hazard to say that I've actually come to enjoy it.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally I have something to contribute in Aden thread Alden for J.Gilbert makeup - nst boots model 45152HC, shell #8, commando sole, Plaza last. Fit is good, as I ordered US10E - my normal size is UK9,5E Finish of the shell is also excellent, best among all my shell footwear - Carmina, C&J for RL, AE, AS and Vass. The quality/details of the boots are just okay, comparable, nothing to talk about.
Lovely boots. Alden shell finish is the best when comparing them to other makers.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shawnc, you seem to be suffering from the same affliction as I do. I find brushing and buffing my shell shoes to be relaxing, whereas with my calf shoes I like to go to and get them shined at my favourite shoeshine place, with both it's the ritual. Now if I could start hand washing and ironing my dress shirts I could save millions, of pennies, over the next twenty years.

tampatravel

Reaction score

. I asked pretty much the same question a couple days ago, with good responses. I'm a couple weeks out from a San Fran work trip and plan on trying on all the examples I can get my hands on. Touring Alden shops is considered sightseeing?? :embar:

It most certainly is sightseeing!

Be sure to check out the Alden store at 170 Sutter St. Within a block or two is The Hound and the Allen Edmonds store.

Also, UNIONMADE is also in town and SOOOO worth visiting. They carry a lot of special make-ups.

Have a safe trip!

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shawnc, you seem to be suffering from the same affliction as I do. I find brushing and buffing my shell shoes to be relaxing, whereas with my calf shoes I like to go to and get them shined at my favourite shoeshine place, with both it's the ritual. Now if I could start hand washing and ironing my dress shirts I could save millions, of pennies, over the next twenty years.

Trust me BeSpiff, laundering and ironing dress shirts (no matter how good you get at it) does not bring nearly the feeling one gets from shoe care. We've got a couple of really good cobblers here in Pittsburgh that I would trust with my most trusted pair of Alden's. But when it comes to shines, be it calf or shell, there is just a sense of satisfaction that I get from sitting in my basement or back yard and taking care of them myself. I am gently trying to instill some of this enthusiasm into my son. Let's just say that it is till a work in progress.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally I have something to contribute in Aden thread Alden for J.Gilbert makeup - nst boots model 45152HC, shell #8, commando sole, Plaza last. Fit is good, as I ordered US10E - my normal size is UK9,5E I like the fit of Plaza much more than fit of Barrie and Aberdeen (the nastiest one I've tried).
Color is fantastic, rich and multilayer, my AE and Carmina Bordeaux shoes/boots immediately appears to be just brown. Only Vass Oxblood looks close. Finish of the shell is also excellent, best among all my shell footwear - Carmina, C&J for RL, AE, AS and Vass. The quality/details of the boots are just okay, comparable, nothing to talk about.
sdolina, your post of your new boots was so comprehensive and informative I had to quote the whole thing.These boots are some of Alden's most stylish and fashion forward offerings.You definitely can wear them with anything, I'd wear them all the time. Congratulations and wear them in good health.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bespiff, buy yourself a nice steamer and never have to worry about ironing. It's the way to go

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bespiff, buy yourself a nice steamer and never have to worry about ironing. It's the way to go
Good idea rydenfan. The cost of a good commercial steamer would cut into my shoe budget. Besides that, I really like to iron my own shirts. Egyptian cotton like shell cordovan requires special treatment and meticulous attention to detail. When you start having your dress shirts custom made, even though your size is readily available, you've gone way too far.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Finally I have something to contribute in Aden thread Alden for J.Gilbert makeup - nst boots model 45152HC, shell #8, commando sole, Plaza last. Fit is good, as I ordered US10E - my normal size is UK9,5E I like the fit of Plaza much more than fit of Barrie and Aberdeen (the nastiest one I've tried).
Color is fantastic, rich and multilayer, my AE and Carmina Bordeaux shoes/boots immediately appears to be just brown. Only Vass Oxblood looks close.
SPOILER]span style="line-height:normal;">Finish of the shell is also excellent, best among all my shell footwear - Carmina, C&J for RL, AE, AS and Vass. The quality/details of the boots are just okay, comparable, nothing to talk about.
nephew, wear in good health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads