1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don L

Don L Senior member

Black Calf NST's for this monsoon Monday

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

PSA - Kathy at Alden DC has a few pairs of Ravello Chukkas in 10.5, 11.0 and 11.5 - all D and all on Barrie

Cheers,
    BN

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

So I received the Shoemart 2nd's today. Box was marked 9900 Cigar PTB but I'm pretty sure these are the new Ravello (as advertised on the 2nd's list). Initially they looked to be in pretty much perfect condition. When I held them in direct sunlight I could see that one of the shoes was considerably lighter than the other. I'm wondering what I should do because at the moment they actually look like 2 different shoes. It seems that I have a few options:

1. Return them for a refund.
    2. Wear them and hope they even out.
    3. Leave the darker shoe in the sunlight for a few days/ weeks/months.
    4. Apply renovateur to the darker shoe and hope that I can get it to match the lighter one.
    5. Send them to Alden for "refinishing".

I am inclined to give the renovateur route a go - I lightened a pair of AE Dundee's (which were coated in finishing product) quite successfully recently. However, I wouldn'y want to do this and potentially mess one of the shoes up for good.

If I contacted Alden would they even offer to attempt to make these match by refinishing them, and if so does anyone here have the contact info of someone at Alden who might be able to help me?

These are on the Barrie and I'm a size 12.5D - these are never available in my size, anywhere. In fact, I'm puzzled as to where these were headed before they became seconds? They could have been from a DC run? These have quite a dark antique edging.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

This is what they look like... the colour difference is much more apparent in direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

4. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

5. Buckeye Nation

Buckeye Nation Senior member

If they were mine I'd likely keep them and go at the lighter shoe with a darker shade of cordovan creme in an attempt to darken the lighter shoe to get close to the darker one...

The combination of seconds and size means you keep them and figure it out... imo

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I'd say black tankers since you have #8 tankers, but you said the black tankers get a lot of wear. Maybe black unlined PTB and then either #8 wt boot or snuff wt bluchers.

7. LittleViti

LittleViti Senior member

How are you able to get the BB shell at 40%? I called about their recent sale and every associate I talked to said they're excluded.

8. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

It helps to know SA but I not 100% if I can do it. Just trying to confirm my sizing.

9. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

I just went through this the other week. The first review on Brooks Brothers' website was correct for me: I ordered them in my Plaza / Aberdeen size of 10.5D, and they felt short and rubbed. I sized up a half size up to 11D and they fit much better. I know a lot of folks say that the Snap last is essentially the Aberdeen, but I did not find that to be true.

10. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I appreciate your help, maybe I'll order both, 9D and 9.5D.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  11. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

If this were #8, you could reach out to one of the Alden stores and see if they could darken the lighter shoe to match the darker. I truly have no idea if that is possible for ravello, but it it worth a shot, especially for ravello at that price.

12. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

The shoes are irregulars for a reason. If Alden could have "fixed" or improved them significantly, I believe they would have. You can attempt to use polish or various conditioning products to darken their appearance. However, this may only be a superficial solution, and the shoes cannot be returned afterwards.

Either accept the shoes may not improve materially and jump into DIY solutions, or send them back.

13. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I would return those. If rare shell is appealing for its color, why keep ("good price" or not) it if you have no assurance as to how the color will eventually wind up? If they were free or dirt cheap, great, but that's not worth it to me.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

He got one cigar and one ravello, they are super rare!!

I would return as well probably.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  15. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I had the exact same issue with a pair of Ravello chukkas. I returned them. And even at seconds list price, those aren't cheap, and there's no guarantee you will get them to look like anything other than what they are.

16. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

17. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

^ I'd send them back Hoit. I don't think you can finesse that much shading to keep them. My 2 cents... Have a good one!

18. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Want these pretty bad. Nice pickup.

19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Hmmm... seems that the general consensus is ditch them :(

I sent an email to Brenda at Alden to see if they were able to do anything. She got back to me with this: "The factory will refinish the shoes for you, but only to same color". It seems then that they are able to refinish 2nd's, but I do wonder what the final color would be (I wouldn't be interested in anything close to #8). What is the process / cost of an Alden refinishing - is it the same as a restoration?

20. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

I don't know but I think I would keep them. Don't all shell eventually lighten up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.