***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

My friend, if I had it to do all over again, I would start out with the Alden for BB shortwing oxford on the M-75 last (very similar to plaza).

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordo...?dwvar_037H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=4&cgid=0522

Currently the BB website only indicates 11D and 11.5D in stock. However, the inventory of local BB stores across the country are not included in the website stock. For instance, I found the shoe in my size at the BB store on Madison in NYC about a month ago. It is spectacular by all accounts... may be the best fitting Alden I've tried and it's hands down superior to the RL Marlow, IMHO. Go to a local BB store or call one (call the Madison store) and ask them to do a search for them. I bet you locate one. It's worth it!

Best of luck my friend...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

RTP, you fashion plate you.

3. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

The retailers are frustrated with alden's lack if responsiveness. It Is obvious it is not only frustrating but hurts their business.

By the way, as to Leffot, otherwise is always a limited window with preorders to specify special sizes. I do not know if there are limits to that, but one should definitely ask.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

RTP: My friend, if I had it to do all over again, I would start out with the Alden for BB shortwing oxford on the M-75 last (very similar to plaza).

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordo...?dwvar_037H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=4&cgid=0522

Currently the BB website only indicates 11D and 11.5D in stock. However, the inventory of local BB stores across the country are not included in the website stock. For instance, I found the shoe in my size at the BB store on Madison in NYC about a month ago. It is spectacular by all accounts... may be the best fitting Alden I've tried and it's hands down superior to the RL Marlow, IMHO. Go to a local BB store or call one (call the Madison store) and ask them to do a search for them. I bet you locate one. It's worth it!

Best of luck my friend...

RTP is right about store availability. Just call the online number and have them do a nationwide search for your model and size. I have bought a few pairs that way.

Hands down superior in what way? Just curious ....

I own both the shoes in question (and like them both), but - questions of superiority left to the side - I find them quite different inasmuch as they are different colors of shell (burgundy v. brown), different styles (balmoral v blucher), different colors of edge trim (dark v. lighter), different thickness of sole (single v. double). Or have I misunderstood the shoes you are referring to?

5. sevenfoldtieguy

Notreknip Hey guys,

Any leads on a #8 or Cigar long/short wing on something a bit sleeker than Barrie? (e.g. the "one-shoe")

I'm willing to wait but I'd like to lock something in soon if possible.

Right now, I'm pretty close to trying this Carmina pair, but I wouldn't mind something a bit darker as I already have something in the shade shown.

I'd also try some Marlows if I had easier access to them...

Check AoC for a color 8 shortwing.

There are many who own the Marlow shortwing and consider it one of the best looking shoes in their collection (count me among them). I own the Marlow and I used to own the Carmina Fitzgerald you link to (in boot form). I prefer the Marlow going away.

6. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

What specifically was your issue with Leffot? I asked if they could accommodate a C width for me and they said yes. I actually asked Epaulet that same question within the last couple of weeks and they said no.

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

8. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Thank you, Sir. The 10.5D Plaza is a more snug fit. The 10.5D Barrie fits bigger all over, with more heel slippage but ultimately it feels like it will provide a roomier more comfortable fit. I have a couple of 10.5C Barries on order, and I'm hoping they will provide the perfect fit.

9. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Carmina Cognac shell, Vass Ravello and good old Alden Ravello LWB.

[​IMG]

10. ReppTiePrepster

[​IMG] (Much thanks my friend.)

11. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

This is fantastically helpful. Thank you!

If the middle shoe were a Marlow and you threw a cigar LWB in there too, it would be perfect.

RTP and 7FTG, I also very much appreciate your thoughts. Again, those involved in this thread are so kind!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  12. ReppTiePrepster

You are absolutely correct Seven. They are very different shoes in all the ways you have outlined. However, for me the RL Marlow is a disappointment. I have tried similar C&J bluchers before and had been extremely impressed. When I finally acquired a pair of the Marlows, to my disappointment they were so uncomfortable to wear over long periods of time (6-8 hrs) that I avoid wearing them. I will certainly concede that they look great and are constructed well, but somewhat painful to wear. I must also add that my sizing is correct, but the shell (or lining, or something ??) is very hard and unforgiving to my foot. It's like wearing a concrete shoe. I don't know if I got a bad shoe, seconds, or what?? I suppose it's left a sour taste in my mouth.

The BB shortwing oxford is a wonderful fit (very comfortable), looks great, has some versatility even though it is a bal/oxford. I think the eyelets create some opportunity for versatility (dress up and down some). I suppose I've lost some perspective and objectivity when commenting on the Marlow because of my poor experience and I thank you for raising your valid and accurate points.

13. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

I've asked for the same thing in the past! I would definitely order a 12.5D in a Barrie, and would gladly put down a deposit before they ordered my size. I think their make-ups are great.

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Haha this happens every time I return it too. Usually accompanied by the sale girls asking sizing questions and why they are so heavy

15. sevenfoldtieguy

RTP:

Sorry to hear of your experience with the Marlow. Incidentally, I have found them (Marlow SWB, Marlow PTB, and Lindrick boot (shell and calf)) to be more comfortable than various Barrie models I have. I guess we can chalk it up to each foot, and each shoe, being different.

:fistbump:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.