***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I think the deposit was only $100 or something. Honestly I cant remember at this point. But I would gladly pay in full and have them in 6 months or something. I understand from a business perspective why LS does this, they could conceivably get many more orders than just ordering stock and waiting for it to come in, but I will likely not participate again. I so prefer the Leffot method of waiting for a confirmation and then knowing there is likely a 6-9 month horizon. My real issue though is with Alden, not LS. I cannot fathom how it could take 2+ years to build a simple suede longwings. I have spent my career working in various manufacturing facilities and there is a serious issue with this. They should either reduce the number of retails or increase production. There is a lot of competition in the market place and Alden is currently missing out on a lot of revenue as well as running the risk of alienating their consumer base. While there may be no short term effect from this, there will certainly likely be a long-term one. Whenever a business loses sight of what is important and thinks demand will always simply be there because of who they are, things change...Just ask Tim Cook about their landscape compared to 5 years ago

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Was their ever really any doubt [​IMG]? Congrats my friend.

3. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Very well said and quite informative. Thanks for taking the time to provide the background. I agree on most points and find the Apple analogy to be particularly relevant. Your post actually hit on my reason for asking the question. I just placed my first preorder with Leffot and I was only willing to do it based on the belief that they don't take preorders unless they have a firm commitment from Alden. The nature of the posts I have read on this implies that Leffot is the exception in this regard. I certainly understand the need for a deposit on preorders but I also place some blame on a retailer who takes a deposit without this type of commitment. I mean, c'mon man, 3+ years for a non-exotic shell? Wow.

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I think what greatly helps Alden is the lack of consistant competition state side. Alden has carved out a niche and appears to have a stranglehold on it. People are still waiting on the epaulet preorder from 09? Most probably don't want refunds for fear of missing out. I really cannot think of too many products people will wait years on while putting down a deposit. I know Alden's indifference has been discussed numerous times on the thread. It seems for now all we can do is grin and take it on the chin.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I totally agree but I think companies like AE and Rancourt are stepping up their game big time. For instance, check out this new customer configurator Rancourt just built
    http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/custom-shoe-concept

I can literally design a pair of shell shoes however I want and have them on my doorstep in 6 weeks or so. Are they as nice al Alden? No, they are a slight step below. However, the fact that they can exist and be worn as opposed to vapor makes them highly appealing.

We also see how successful AE' new MTO program is and they are turning out some really high quality pairs of shoes.

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

Fantastic looking shoes. Sadly no "E" width. :(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  7. bespoken pa

Agreed we will see how long the AE shell supply lasts.

8. Johnniegold

Johnniegold Well-Known Member

I have to live with that everyday. Lesson learned.

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

In most cases, all things equal, I find I prefer Alden to AE (though like most, I own both). However, there is not a lot of daylight between the two and if I can get MTO from AE, that would likely tip the scales in their direction. I'm still a rook when compared to most on this site but I have seen the occasional post about Alden's MTO program and people seem to long for those 'good old days'. I would love the opportunity to personalize a pair or two of shoes and will investigate the option with AE.

10. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

the postal delivery man when he rolled up and saw me had the look on his face. why is this man taking a photo of his shoes. my neighbor had the same expression.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Their "exotic" shell colors are all but gone already. I placed my MTO last week and they stated they only had about 25 pairs left. No plan of restocking.

12. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Tifolsi-any chance you can share how you inquired about MTO's. Their website is not very instructive.

13. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Ah yes, the bemused and quizzical looks one gets from family, friends, and perfect strangers as we take selfies of our feet. It's one of the added bonuses of going over the top with the horses arse dress shoe buying collecting thingy. Nice shoes by the way crosswound.

15. bespoken pa

email allison debbie or paul I can pm you with details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.