***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Much thanks MacJ! These are Alden for J Crew (unlined). I snagged them NIB off of ebay about a year ago. I have not seen the BB version. Are they also Alden?

2. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

3. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Agreed on both counts. I was looking for a split toe and I am a huge fan of both commando and the antique edging, so these checked all the right boxes for me. However, I will admit, as stated by another poster, that after seeing a similar boot with black edging, I could have gone either way on that aspect.

4. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Thanks...I think I might go with my regular/non-barrie size. The barrie chukka is pretty much perfect on me with a thin sock down a half size, but I'd hate to have a regular boot too tight. The stress of preordering and waiting on a non-returnable shoe and not being completely sure about the size...at least with the deposit it will seem like "only" a $600 shoe next year!

5. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

No. It is all over the map.

Some go down 1/2 size. I fall into this category.

Some say they go TTS because a boot on a barrie last feels smaller than a shoe on the barrie last.

Some say they go down 1/2 size and go down one width; some say they TTS but go down one width.

Personally, I have not had the experience that the barrie last feels different in different uses. I have had the experience that the material of the shoe - cordovan, calf, suede -- can feel different, or age differently, but not enough where it affects the size.

6. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Ahhhh, the opinion of the S.O.

:nest:

Your comment raises an issue I've thinking about for a while -- regarding the opinion of the "S.O." My S.O. is pretty, from a big city, with a strong, natural sense of style. She can look at a person's clothing, shoes or general appearance and know in 3 seconds if "it works" or not. While not huge, I've noticed a definite schism between some of the commonly held opinions expressed on SF, versus what she likes or finds attractive. I'm not sure if it's a male v. female point of view thing, or the fact that the folks here are really into Aldens and perhaps see (and care about) things that others miss. Certainly part of it is the issue raised above - "is it really necessary to have 12 pairs of subtly different brown boots?" But its definitely more than simply "brown boot overkill" that will illicits the "don't even think about it" look from her (and conversely will get her approval despite commonlly held negative opinions on this forum).

7. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

I take an 11d in Aberdeen (TTS), and a 10.5 in Barrie. All my Barries to date are boots.

8. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Great...thanks. It may come down to the boot on the site I like the best only having one of my size options available.

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

6 months ago I would have thought this logic was nonsensical at best and insane at worst. However, after getting bitten by the 'Alden' bug, I too find myself excited about 'only' having to part with $600 when the preorder arrives. Crazy.

10. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

hell yeah! My LSH #8 plaza captoe is finally shipping :)

11. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Lucky dog. Congrats [​IMG].

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I talked to LS today and am truly baffled. I "pre-ordered" tan suede LWB's January of 2012 (19 months ago) and they are still at least 6 months away and probably longer. I could understand if this was some rare makeup but it seems ludicrous for a pair of suede Longwings.

13. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

jelly of everyone getting the #8 plaza captoes this week.. I messaged Will but they didnt even get in a 12d [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You're going to get your cordo Tricker's long before the Aldens.

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I know! It's crazy. I am really psyched for those. I think they are going to look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.