• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some size 11.5D out there got a steal on eBay...those brand new Cigar PTBs from Alden SF that someone posted here a few days ago went for only $455. It's hard to even find a pre-owned Cigar PTB for that price sometimes.

Shiny

Reaction score

I"ll just pass along my experience with this. Perhaps others have had different experiences.

In the last month I have had recrafts come back from Alden and BNelson. Neither had a new corkbed/insole, and each had the exact same imprint as they did prior to the recraft. In the last 6 months I have had recrafts come back from AE. Those also had no new corkbeds/insoles and had the same imprint upon their return. That is consistent with literally every recraft I have had done at each of these 3 places.

Assuming one is the original owner of the shoe being recrafted, he would typically not want a new corkbed/insole. Indeed, getting an otherwise new shoe back -while still retaining the previous imprint- is a major (if not the most important) reason for going the recraft route in the first instance.

It is perhaps a service each of these three offer, but it has never happened to me, and I have never specified - one way or the other - whether I want it done or do not want it done.

Only one I know that does what I was referring is B Nelson. You tell him you just bought a pair of used shoes that has the lumps of the old owner imprint. You want them gone. He will do something like "stretching" or "flattening" the leather insole (maybe a new insole?). That way the old owners imprint will not remain. New Corkbed is applied, though. B Nelson is great.

McPryon

Reaction score
Some size 11.5D out there got a steal on eBay...those brand new Cigar PTBs from Alden SF that someone posted here a few days ago went for only $455. It's hard to even find a pre-owned Cigar PTB for that price sometimes.
There was an 11.5D pair of new LHS Cigar shoes that ended today. They ended up going for $490, or so. It was really, really hard to restrain myself on that one. I figured since I was high bidder for days it was time to let somebody else have a turn
dozingoff.gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True - I can totally understand the desire for an insole with no imprint under certain circumstances. And i am no cobbler - and don't even pretend to know, step by step, exactly what they do (that is why i pay them to do it). I was just passing along my experience that my pre-recraft insole imprint was precisely the same upon each pair's return. That was my expected result, but your point above about wanting the exact opposite is very well taken.

I have read over at AAAC where the AE CEO states that AE cannot replace the insole during a recraft.
Could it be that we are referring to two different things (imprints); insole and corkbed? It was my understanding that the corkbed sits between the sole and the leather insole.

CEE88

Reaction score

New Alden x J Crew cap toe boots arrived today.
In a side by side comparison with my LWB's you can see that the Ravello's are longer, but that the widest part of the shoes meet in the same position. Same Barrie last but a different construction.

Hi BeSpiffington - I read your above post from several months ago and was wondering if you could: confirm that your Ravellos and J Crew Capt toe boots are the same size; and comment on whether one feels longer than the other? Thanks.

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
Gents, in case it has not been mentioned already, Context began taking preorders on their No.8 Tanker NST Boot, Barrie Last, as of yesterday...

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings Gents!

I received a pair of king LHS from Alden DC today. Any advice as to what I should be looking for fit-wise? I went with my Barrie size, 1/2 size down from TTS. My initial impression is that they fit comfortably, not too tight, nor too wide… but there is some heel slip. I think the width is good as I'm filling out the toebox well, and the strap and sides fit snug, but not uncomfortably so. The length feels pretty good to the back of the heel. Does this sound about right, or should I be looking for a tighter fit initially? I'm going to evaluate them for a few days, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

REguy

Reaction score

Hi BeSpiffington - I read your above post from several months ago and was wondering if you could: confirm that your Ravellos and J Crew Capt toe boots are the same size; and comment on whether one feels longer than the other? Thanks.

Well, this photos certainly shows why the J Crew shell boots I've tried on felt at least 1/2 size too small.

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

Greetings Gents!

Wear them in good health macjedi... Sounds like a good fit, and heel slippage is normal for the first few wearings; the heel will mould to your foot and the slippage should fade out.

I received a pair of king LHS from Alden DC today. Any advice as to what I should be looking for fit-wise? I went with my Barrie size, 1/2 size down from TTS. My initial impression is that they fit comfortably, not too tight, nor too wide… but there is some heel slip. I think the width is good as I'm filling out the toebox well, and the strap and sides fit snug, but not uncomfortably so. The length feels pretty good to the back of the heel. Does this sound about right, or should I be looking for a tighter fit initially? I'm going to evaluate them for a few days, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, in case it has not been mentioned already, Context began taking preorders on their No.8 Tanker NST Boot, Barrie Last, as of yesterday...
Stunning. Recently pre-ordered these from Leffot. My first Aldens --- I believe the welt and edge are different on the Leffot model, but this is also just beautiful.

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the difference is in the welting, not the actual length on the inside of the shoe. One has close heel and the other a 360 welt.

wildstar

Reaction score

Beautiful, I ordered a pair myself. Pre-orders are going really fast, many sizes are already gone.

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
Beautiful, I ordered a pair myself. Pre-orders are going really fast, many sizes are already gone.

Indeed they are... I plucked a pair for myself, and a pair to gift to one of my clients who shares the appreciation of this affliction.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any reason you prefer ventian on cxl?
no particular reason, venetian was just recommended to me by another manuf for some cxl shoes. I imagine saphir would do just as good a job, albeit at a higher price.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I'm pretty sure we are referring to two different things. When the old sole is removed in a resole or recraft, much of the corkbed comes off with it. The remainder of the corkbed is then scraped off of the sole-less shoe. New hot cork (chunky-mayonnaise-like in texture) is then spread over the bottom of the shoe (or bottom of the insole?), and the new outsole is then attached. I guess there is an imprint of the original owners foot on the leather insole that can not be adjusted, accept for B Nelson's specific treatment (stretching to flatten??). In the end though, I think the newly applied corkbed probably does much to create a new "imprint" or mold for whoever wears the shoe after the recraft, whether it be the original owner or new owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads