1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

Interesting ...

I don't believe I have heard of an NST on the Grant. I have heard of, indeed, have owned, NSTs on the Aberdeen, barrie, and plaza.

If anyone has a pic or a link, PM me. Thanks.

2. Shawnc

Shawnc Distinguished Member

Well when you say it like that.........

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

Yep, email replies from citishoes is a hit-and-miss affair.

4. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow.

5. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Distinguished Member

Many of the high-end shoe sites seem like they were designed when Alden created its first shoe. Probably not a surprise an email didn't get a reply.

6. brp2

brp2 Distinguished Member

There are a couple of other options in Boston / Cambridge, but none are all that special. Both outposts of the Tannery, in Harvard Square and on Boylston St., carry Alden. You can also find Aldens at Barney's and the J. Crew men's shop, which are nearly next to each other in the mall by the Pru downtown. Brooks Bros. is also nearby on Newbury St., and kind of in the middle of the walk from NRO in Beacon Hill to the other Boston options. Other than those shops, I'm not sure what else exists. I've heard that J. Press carries them, but I've never actually looked at the Harvard Square location.

7. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

My recent email-response experience: emailed a few questions to Alden SF - they responded two days later with the info requested; emailed Leffot multiple times with multiple questions, and Leffot always replied in less than a couple of hours (they mostly responded immediately or in less than an hour). Scary thing about Leffot: when the question pertained to the preorder shoes/boots, they provided the answer ... and then said "I'll send you a PayPal invoice in case you want to order." And then they sent it. They make it all too easy.

8. MrGuy

MrGuy Active Member

Philly does have Sherman bros (2 locations, if memory serves). Very accommodating, pretty knowledgeable. They were also selling a few shell wingtips at $500. They had certainly been tried on, but I seriously
    doubt they ever left the store.

9. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Distinguished Member

Yes, actually most seem fine on email. Leffot, Epaulet, etc. have been great to deal with. LetherSoul photos alone can suck money from the wallet.

10. CEE88

CEE88 Senior Member

Hah - you are correct on all counts, Sir.
    I would also add Unionmade and Context to the list - I have found both to be highly responsive.

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

You'd think Ball & Buck would carry Alden. They carry only AMERICAN MADE items. They're located in the Back Bay neighborhood.

I know they did some AE special Neumora makeups, but no Alden.

They'd be the perfect Alden partner in Boston!

But yeah I can't believe they don't have a company store in Boston. It'd be like AE not having a store down the road from the factory in Chicago.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

13. MrDV

MrDV Distinguished Member

restoration project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found these two pairs on ebay. for cheap.
    I got them back yesterday from the restoration and im very happy with the results. the #8 shell bounced back like new. the textured leather pair is much better than before and feel like new. I did not expect the leather pair to return so dark, but I really like the way they look on. The folks at alden even printed the model #s on the green boxes for the return, I thought that was a nice detail.
    I asked around, no one seems to know much about the leather nsts. I think nsts are expensive to make, maybe they only do it for shell now.

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

I vividly remember this because the LWBs were the first time my wife intercepted an Alden package. She held onto it for a coupe of weeks without me knowing and gave it to me as a Christmas present! Thank God Sherman Bros. had that deal as part of an end of year holiday sale. I otherwise might have been waiting several months to get that present... props to my wife! [​IMG]

15. Johnniegold

Johnniegold Well-Known Member

Great resto job. Nicely done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.