***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

I have located and am seriously considering the Alden Color #8 LWB in US8 E.

The issue however is that the Alden Snuff Boots I have are an 8.5D. Both the boots and the LWB are Barrie as you would know.

Now the boots do feel like they could be a tiny bit long, but generally they are incredibly comfortable with no comfort issues at all.

Basically they fit better, more snug with thicker socks.

What I am wondering is whether or not the LWB is likely to fit slightly bigger or smaller than the boot assuming both were 8.5D.

Is it a bad idea to big .5 a size down again on the LWB? Any idea's?

2. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

So THIS is the secret to a Mac like shine! I knew I was doing something wrong. I'll have to enlist one of my nieces or nephews.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

She's not quite ready to handle cordovan yet. Maybe when she's 3.

Here is the finished product of her labor.

Alden For J Crew tobacco LWB
    I use AE Chili polish on them to get some red tones. Inside they look very Ravelloish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

The color is quite different from inside to outside. Looks great!

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Quite a few people here have observed that barrie high* boots run smaller than barrie shoes, myself included. Some don't find the discrepancy to warrant different sizes, whereas some do.

Here is my experience: my Tanker boots on the barrie are 11D, and they fit about the same as an 11C barrie shoe (and somewhat like a 10.5D barrie shoe, though 10.5D is noticeably shorter in length, so not quite). An 11D barrie shoe is without question larger than my 11D Tanker boots. I have also tried on the JCrew PCT boot in 11D and found the same thing.

*I say "high" boots because I don't think this is true for barrie chukkas because (1) I haven't heard such things here and (2) I tried on a pair of 11D shell chukkas on the barrie and was swimming in them, to the point I thought they might be a mislabeled 11.5D. Go figure.

7. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

My experience with the shell LWB has been that it is larger than other Barrie lasted shell shoes I have. Others might have different experience and I imagine it has much to do with the specific shape of your foot, but I found the difference to be noticeable.

8. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

Well by the above, if the 8.5D in the suede boot is fine if not a little long, than the LWB would be ideal in an 8E.

Thanks guys.

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

My experience is different in regards to Barrie chukkas. Before I took the alden plunge around 6 months (and thousands of dollars) ago, I was a size 10 , though depending on the shoe I could get into a 9.5. I picked up a pair Alt Wien's from Epaulet in a 9.5 and they are a little roomy but still a god fit. I also picked up a pair of commando sole chukkas from alden of Carmel in 9.5 and there is noticeably more room in them. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have sent the chukkas back and went with a 9.

10. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Your choice of shoes and polish is really good. Those shoes look amazing. A very nice and unique shade. However, I would not discount the efforts of your daughter in all of this. There is a noticeable level of intensity in her as she is attacking the shine.

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Alden #8 captoe on Grant.
    I just couldn't pass up a deal from a local member on these! Great guy and I got myself some great boots! Only worn a couple times and barely creased. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

what size? good looking boot btw

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

These are 8.5D on Grant. They fit absolutely perfectly. I am a TTS 8.5D and an 8D in Barrie for reference.

14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Quite the score tifosi. Congratulations! They look almost like an English country boot in a C&J sort of way, but still distinctively Alden. Wear them in the best of health.

15. Don L

Don L Senior member

Ravello NST

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.