• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second pair of Aldens, but first pair of Cordovan Aldens : ) I have to say, they are definitely nicer in person than in any photo that I've seen. Consider me hooked, and thank you all for sharing your experiences on this forum--As a newbie, I've found the content and camaraderie inspiring and welcoming. J. Crew #8 Chukka
Demonstrating two things: 1. Color 8 is still the king, and 2. Nothing shows off the qualities of shell like a plain toe. Well done.

Pastor

Reaction score

Wow! That must keep you busy. I have a 22 month old and a second on the way so not too far behind you

Your life is about to change as you currently know it. Having a second "close" baby takes it up to another level.

CEE88

Reaction score

4 purchases. Nice work. Sounds like you have some nice models coming. :slayer:

Black shell is great. Don't let the Naval boot be your last.

Thanks. There's no other black shell on the horizon right now. I took a few pictures of the Naval boot but it's sort of like taking a picture of a black lab - lots of charm and personality in person, but often comes out like a black blob with eyes (eyelets?) in photos. I'll brush it and try again in full sun.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your precious daughter my friend! 4-5 yrs old?? That is an amazing age... their minds soak up knowledge like no other. The perfect age to train to brush and buff! In all seriousness, you are blessed my friend...
no way pastor's 4-5 year old would use the clearly labeled "brown" brush to buff ravello lwbs. pastor will let this mishandling slip only because she's 2.

awesome picture pastor, thanks for sharing.

I also have a picture of my daughter brushing her shoes. we're living the life.

CEE88

Reaction score

Fine looking saddles my friend and welcome back.  Look forward to hearing from you and seeing some of your collection in the coming weeks.  Wear in great health...
Thank you, sir. I've really enjoyed seeing your collection - not sure you've posted a shoe that I wouldn't mind wearing myself.
:cheers:

CEE88

Reaction score

Wow, talk about falling off the wagon!  We're here to support you my friend!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Don't you mean ENABLE????

Hey fellas! They're Tampa Bay Lightning Blue! Go Bolts :)

...and to CEE88 what a way to put your toe back in the Alden water...

Let me see if I've got this right: 'support' translates to 'enable,' so 'put your toe back in the Alden water' means ... 'cannon ball off the 12ft board?' :D

Hey Tampatravel, think Yzerman sports a pair like that? If not, he should. Great looking pair of Aldens.

Last edited:

Briar Snob

Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Context's Rough Roys this year. Anyone have any experience with the Earth color model in reverse chamois? I am really wondering if the color is too dark. If someone has a picture they can send of the Earth color after being broken in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Working on getting the girl trained properly at polishing my shoes.

That's just classic. A truly great shot for reasons that are too many to count.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second pair of Aldens, but first pair of Cordovan Aldens : ) I have to say, they are definitely nicer in person than in any photo that I've seen. Consider me hooked, and thank you all for sharing your experiences on this forum--As a newbie, I've found the content and camaraderie inspiring and welcoming. J. Crew #8 Chukka
These look great.

CEE88

Reaction score

I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Context's Rough Roys this year.  Anyone have any experience with the Earth color model in reverse chamois?  I am really wondering if the color is too dark.  If someone has a picture they can send of the Earth color after being broken in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I've seen Earth reverse chamois in person, and I'd describe it as an oiled charcoal grey (maybe with very slight hints of greenish/charcoal grey?). I've read that Earth is actually a very dark brown suede, but the oil finish makes it look charcoal grey or even black(ish?) in certain light.

I have a Tobacco reverse chamois boot and, as it's lost some of its oil coating over time, it has lightened from approximately the shade of 'dark chocolate' to the point where it's more of a milk chocolate brown. My guess is that, over time, the Earth reverse chamois will lighten up a bit too. Maybe someobody else on the forum has the photographic evidence.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
good shine on your king lhs
Thank you Uncle. This morning I was rereading yesterday's posts only to find that Uncle Mac ,using magic shell powder I'm sure, had somehow changed my 990 ptb's to #8 lhs's. Do you think if I post a photo of my old Filson hunting boots he can change them into a pair of Ravello Indy's with commando soles in size 11D? That would be so cool!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics