1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

RTP, you pull the trigger on the chamois LWB?

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I think many here would simply say that they would prefer spending a couple hundred dollars more for the shell ptb on commando rather than the calf version (welterweights). With this sale I suppose it would be different... $300 would be a much more appropriate price for Alden calf.

1 person likes this.
  4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I know. I was just having fun.

5. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

Ah, so the avoidance is more due to the calfskin. I don't have the same preference of shell over calfskin like most do in this thread. If I had to rank them, for me it would be

1. CXL
    2. Suede
    3. A tie between calfskin and shell.

6. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

enjoying the sunny weather on the east coast yesterday and wore the Suede indy on brick sole. I have had them for 4 months or so, wearing about once a week. One if my most comfortable shoes. You'll notice the right big toe area is wearing, apparently I rub the brake when driving , never noticed until i started wearing suede. Brushes out easily enough when needed

[​IMG]

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

8. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

Yeah I managed to get the 975 in my size 9D. Always kept slipping from me till now. Thanks for asking Mike. Agree with you about 975 and 990. I'm not a fan of shortwings though. PTB absolutely tops in terms of versatility for me. May be someday I will also get the Cigar LWB . I think there are always more Aldens that one can use but a real Alden collection should always have 990 and the Cigar LWB.

PS- Where did you get the Ravello Tankers?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I have to say that some here are real sticklers! Nothing wrong with that, though. To each their own.

Sorry...he can't tell you that. He is sworn to secrecy.

Haha @mdubs Just messin' with ya!

10. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

I posted a writeup on 6 months of wearing my Modified Last Natural CXL Indy Boots over on reddit's /r/goodyearwelts and some comments on The Moulded Shoe. My writeup is in the comments comments here and a full album here for anyone interested.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Vastly underrated make up, well done.

12. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

• They also sell TruBalance 403s and 405s, as well as a large selection of Alden boots, bluchers and oxfords in some interesting makeups. They have zero shell, and have been told by Alden that Japan and Anatomica France have exclusive privilege to shell modified last, even though Moulded Shoe is the oldest stockist of them.
    • If you want Natty CXL Modified Indy's, they got a crate of them in a month ago, and likely still have plenty of sizes left (my 9.5E were in stock for about 9 months before I bought them).
    • They will try to talk you out of it, but I know for a fact that The Moulded Shoe has a few pairs of old style 405s, with duck canvas lining in stock and on display. They don't want to sell them because they think that duck canvas is shit lining vs leather, so they only get sold to crazy people who want traditional Indy's

Copy pasting some interesting bits points from wahab's post.

13. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

That was what, a two week hibernation? ;)

Those DO sound good though.

14. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Sir, I bought the Ravello Tankers from a fellow SF member here who decided that they were not of his taste. I consequently ended up giving @MrDV the first shot at them, as I knew that they were his favorite shoe. The Ravello Tankers were on the Aberdeen last and were from TheShoeMart. I do have the Ravello NST shoe (Aberdeen also).

-Mike

15. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Thank you! Although they were a killer deal, I really didn't need them... :)

-M

16. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

What the happened to these?! Looks like they were put through a mangler.

[​IMG]

17. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have a bigger picture? They look odd, but my vision isn't that great!

-M

18. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Haha sorry - I actually fixed it slightly prior to you commenting.

Looks like they were put in the washing machine & dryer. Maybe some time in a microwave too.

19. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Looks like they spent some time in a washing machine or someone got caught in the rain (torrential downpour) and then allowed them to dry au natural, that and they have never met a shoe tree.

20. RobinM

RobinM Well-Known Member

A well worn LHS packed in an overstuffed soft suitcase without trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.