1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thanks! Both 405s are looking great! Appreciate the help.

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Not a monk guy at all but these are great. Love how understated they are I would say Ravello. I always find the red tone Ravello and the honey tone Whiskey

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Most likely Whiskey. Somewhat depends on how vintage the shoes are. Technically, Alden did not use the name "Ravello" until relatively recently (i.e. six or seven years ago, I believe). There were Mahogany shell in the olden days though.

4. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

those look great. just curious, why wait until warmer weather? because of snow? i've been wearing suede all winter and loving it.

5. a bag of it

a bag of it Senior member

I also really don't the stitching on the toe. I have to admit they have grown on me a little, but only from hate to dislike.

6. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

I vote whiskey - my whiskey LWB are about 10 years old and they have darkened a lot and now look like ravello.

Plus I know that a few years ago Alden made a run of whiskey monks but I I've never heard of them making any ravello monks.

Regardless, nice find!

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Do not worry bag, it will slowly grow to like to love... I actually didn't like the Moc Toe pattern at first. But they grow on you. Not sure if it adds structural rigidity to the shoe, but I imagine that it would... I particularly like the design though when on the Plaza Last, but that is my personal preference.

Do you like the Leisure Hand Sewn (Classic Penny Loafer) design? Because when you take a step back, the LHS and the Indy boot are not that far apart design wise (well at least at the toe level... Although the Van last is designed to put the stitching on the edge of the shoe by boxing off the sidewall and vamp of the shoe.

-Mike

1 person likes this.
  8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Dr. D, yeah I agree with you, the only Ravello Monks that I can find are the NST Monks that LeatherSoul did in 2010. I believe that Mac has them.

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/05/28/alden-shoes-two-new-nsts-for-lsbh/

-Mike

9. RobinM

RobinM Senior member

There was a Ravello Monk, but with split toe..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I really like the LHS. we'll see. I am already on preorder for the cxl wingtip boot from Alden SF, hopefully they will arrive in June as they told me. Maybe later in time, I'll pick up the 405/403...who knows...

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

good deal on the 403 over at O'connells if they have your size.. should go 30% tmrw

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/product.php?productid=18107&cat=339&page=1

12. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I know many of you wear same size in Barrie and Van lasts, but does anyone here size up from Barrie for Van? My LHS (stock, lined) are starting to bug at the instep and wondering if sizing up would help. I realize sizing up in loafers introduces a host of other issues, such as heel slippage, but wanted to see if anyone has thoughts.

Thanks

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I don't wear chukkas of any kind with suits. Some on this thread do wear color 8 shell chukkas with suits. To each their own.

With all of that said, I would easily recommend the color 8 chukka over the dark brown suede chukka. :D

14. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Wow, thanks. I didn't realize they had been sold 2 times within the last few weeks. Yes, this is the same pair. I'm glad I saw them the second time around.

Thanks rydenfan. I am also leaning towards ravello. They're more red than honey irl.

I've only followed alden for a few years. I didn't know ravello was a newer term. These are from "mto days" they probably didn't call it ravello then, but it looks like one of the many shades I accept as ravello today.

Thanks dr.d. The old run of whiskey monks is # 1684. These have a different #. Mine could be darkened whiskey or something else. I just wanted to know.

Mike, I looked last night as well. I only found ls' ravello nst monks, uncle Mac has a pair.

15. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I wear the same Barrie and van size. The length and heel are good, but the instep is (was) too tight. I use bootbarn boot trees in them, they stretched the instep and now feel comfortable. Van tts feels way too long and lose, the bb version fits much better tts.
    [​IMG]

16. a bag of it

a bag of it Senior member

I don't like the LHS but that is because I don't like penny loafers. The stitching is not nearly as offensive to me as on the indys though because it looks natural and follows the curve of the toe. With the indys, the stitching is almost square while the toe is very round which creates visual dissonance for me. The NST has similar stitching which I think looks great because it also follows the shape of the toe.

1 person likes this.
  17. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Thank you! You just explained to me why I don't like the stitching on the indys and I do, also, like NST a lot.

18. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Awesome DV. Those take your collection to another level. I'd have more monks in my collection but there are very few floating around from Alden in shell... I've been on a whiskey monk wait list since early 2012 ...i wont hold my breath

19. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Beautiful shoe! The first pic looks eerily like our beloved Uncle. In fact I would bet that it was. (I might lose, but I would bet on it)

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I have to agree. To me, suede makes a chukka inherently casual, and therefore not very versatile in the way in which you are referring. To wear a design that leans heavily toward the casual side of the spectrum (i.e. chukka) with a casual leather makes it very difficult to pull off with a suit, unless your suit is of the casual nature also (i.e. linen, cotton, seersucker, etc...).

I think the color 8 chukka can be worn with the right suit, but if you are looking for versatility between denim and suits, why not go with the PTB (990). If you are a chukka man, snag both chukkas! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.