1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

touche. stock pic, not mine

1 person likes this.
  2. epc2

epc2 Senior member

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

J Gilbert Snuff Wingtips today

[​IMG]

Ravello tassels yesterday - first wearing in a while. They need the method

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  4. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Great shoes today, gents.

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yep. Dubs was right. Leffot color8 LWB with antique edge. I'm sure Leffot will be doing another run soon. I would add yourself to Leffot's email list.

Happen to be wearing them today. Looks like @bkotsko and I are sharing a brain today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Need Supply Church Hill Indy today. Need to figure out a good way to clean them up. Brushing/buffing doesn't seem to do the trick on veg tanned leather.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Have you tried VSC or Reno?

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Quote:

10. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Good call. I had tried Lexol cleaner which didn't work very well. I'll hit them with some Renovateur after work today.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I would suggest you may not be in the minority. Those that like antique with color 8 are vocal about it (which is totally fine - even a good thing); but I suspect those that don't care for it or don't prefer it remain for the most part silent. I don't dislike antique with color 8, but I certainly prefer dark. I do think there is near-unanimous agreement that antique makes for a more casual presentation. My 2 cents ...

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree SFTG. There is less "I don't like that/them" on this thread than others.
    I like the antique edge and bought them specifically because they are a bit more casual.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

There is a great amount of decency and civility on this thread. That is a good thing. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  14. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

I totally agree. I would have preferred an antique edge, but the ease of the availability plus the $480 price tag from J Crew a couple weeks ago pushed me in the other direction. I might pull a @PeterL and do a DIY antique, although the welt will still be dark.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I owned the Leffot color 8 longwings, but found the contrast between the upper and the edge/sole to be a bit jarring, so I ended up selling them. That said, they can be outstanding for more casual wear.

For some reason, I don't seem to find the same effect in the color 8 tankers on antique. Maybe because the antique edge seems to go well with the tan stitching on the split toe?

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Hmmmm. Good question.

[​IMG]

17. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Stick with high oil content conditioners (Neatsfoot, Sedgwick, etc.). I've used some beeswax based cream, but vegetable tanned leather will still shoe scuffs and wear more so than other leathers. Builds character. Conditioning does seem to even it out some.

The most evil device in an office for shoes is the Keurig machine. I had the overflow reservoir splash coffee on my Church Hills when emptying. Over time with the oils though, it just seemed to blend in.

http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2...atural-vegetable-tanned-leather-goods-part-i/

18. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I'm looking into some unlined color 8 shell dovers. I'm curious as to how much more rolling they get compared to normal lined versions. Does anyone have some worn in unlined shell pictures they can share?

19. sazon

sazon Senior member

Haven't seen many pix of the standard 405 Indy boots here. I sold my J Crew CXL Indys b/c they stretched a bit too much and I wasn't loving the fit.
    Looking to maybe get the 405 w/Commando sole that J Gilbert is planning. I know Leffot did the same make-up a few years back.

Anyone with pix of some nicely worn 405s or 405s with commando?

Thanks in advance
    Joe

20. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

More visible on the longwing due to the welt. Unless my eyes are tricking me, the Tankers have a flat welt.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.