1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REguy

REguy Senior member

How fast that Tanker pre-order sold out blows my mind. I'm not trolling for a sale, but it makes me wonder how much I could score for the pair in my closet? I bet there's someone out there who'd be needy enough to pay a grand. I'm starting to think I'd get a better return than my 401k with a buy-and-hold strategy in shell. We're definitely in a bull market.

2. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

quick quetions for y'all

I am looking to buy a beater boots for my upcoming trips. I am weighing between either a tan wing tip boot with commando from J Gilbert, or the popular indy 403. What do you say?

3. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I have both boots. Although I like the burnished tan wt boot, the 403 on cxl can take dings and scratches better. I think it will develop a nicer patina over time. The wingtip boot will need semi regular applications of tan paste wax. Kind of annoying over time. The 403 can get scratched up and look vintage.

4. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I am such a sucker for wingtips and that's why the question. Wonder what would happen if I treat the wingtip boot as everyone's treating their 403....:paranoia:

5. docalden2013

I'd be more inclined to get something like a wingtip boot on chromexcel or natty cxl. See, e.g., Epaulet's natty brixton boot.

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I own no calf aldens so I cant speak to the ruggedness, but CXL I can say is definitely great for a beater.. You could rub most scratches out with just your thumb. Anything left after the thumb treatment, a little VSC would make quick work..

This pair of 403s were 'fixed' with just some rubbing and a light application of VSC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I guess I'll be looking out for a cxl wingtip then!

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

Might try leathersoul to see if they have a restock of these coming at some point..

[​IMG]

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I was just looking at those...last time it was 2010...I'll shoot them an email now and see...

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The tan calf wingtip boot is awesome, but not a beater boot. I plan treating mine like calf dress shoes (regular paste wax). They already get tons of positive attention

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  11. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

If they did, all pairs would be pre-sold to Tom's high school buddies, with the possible exception of sizes 5.5D and 13D [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I had a pair of them last yr, sold them here on SF.

no preorder for me, lucked into a pair of 12Ds

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

alden sf had something similar, check with them

14. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

I have had good luck with leathersoul a couple of times.....just called/emailed and got in for 11d....may have just been good timing but they have been great to me.

15. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We tried something new with black calf and we would love to hear back from you gentlemen. All feedback is appreciated!

2 people like this.
  16. docalden2013

[​IMG]That is hilarious and sad for us. That said, if you're looking for a brown chromexcel wingtip boot, one should be in touch with Adam at alden of Carmel. He has a brown cxl wingtip boot on commando sole on Barrie preorder with an expected delivery sometime in April.

17. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Just did! :slayer:

18. WTGuthrie

WTGuthrie Member

Please excuse this newbie but can you still purchase the Cigar Indy boots brand new or they no longer available new? From all of the pics I've seen they are some beautiful boots! I'm leaning that direction over the Brown ChromeExcel if they are available. Thanks!

19. thams

thams Senior member

I don't think they're in stock anywhere right now. Your best bet is to hop on the JGilbert pre-order if you can. It might be a looooong wait though.

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I like both pairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.