***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

yeah, to me double sole + vibram is great. retains the sturdiness/longevity/good looks of double leather with the vibram there for safety on wet surfaces and protection against elements.

commando/lug sole or the crepe sole are ok but I don't think either are ideal with slacks. great with jeans of course.

but for those of us trying to build a shoedrobe of only a few pairs, I want all mine to be as versatile as possible

I actually think the dainite sole that Ron Rider/ B Nelson uses would be a good choice as well. if I was baller I might have those put onto cordo boots right away

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

My two cents on the kudu chukka: don't like it. I thought it sounded great in theory and won a pair on ebay a couple years ago. Flipped it quite quickly--it's just not an attractive boot. the sole looks weird with the alden chukka shape.

I got a pair of the kudo chukkas with lug sole too. Do not like.
    Probably the only Alden purchase I regret.

3. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I actually think the dainite sole that Ron Rider/ B Nelson uses would be a good choice as well. if I was baller I might have those put onto cordo boots right away
    +1

Love the Danite Sole sole. IIRC the rider one isn't Danite, but I cannot tell the difference. It just looks really nice and is sturdy. I am not sure how it would look on the chunkier Alden's but I really like it.

4. saracen

saracen Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of the kudu chukka boot? Thinking about getting it mainly for a nice winter boot.

Does kudu last as long as any other leather? I know you are not suppose to take care of it really (as in condition, polish)

I used to really not care for it at all but it's grown on me quite a bit. I think it's a great boot if casual/tough/understated is what you're looking for.

5. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

The sponge sole kills it, if it came with a single leather/commando sole, it would look so much better. And would give those of us with feet that are too wide for the Leydon another chukka option.

6. saracen

saracen Well-Known Member

7. skrooler

skrooler Active Member

Those commando sole ones look really nice. I agree the kudu would be nearly perfect with a commando. I have my eye on those commando soled chukka boots that were posted for now.

Thanks for the responses.

8. 1969

1969 Senior member

Last night my wife quipped "At least I don't give you shit about your closet full of $250 shoes". It was all I could do not shoot back "Four-Fiddy Woman!!!...and that not even Shell"

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I love dainite soles too, retains the overall look of leather soles with more functionality. but lug soles are def better for traction, I've had minor slips even with my dainite boots to where I probably would have fallen on my ass in leather, but just slipped in dainite, but i'm sure would have kept a sure grip with commando lug.

10. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

Last night my wife quipped "At least I don't give you shit about your closet full of $250 shoes". It was all I could do not shoot back "Four-Fiddy Woman!!!...and that not even Shell"

My experience with the gf is that the illusion is preferable to the reality...

11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

As requested:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BARRIE LAST

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

^beautiful, thanks for posting

hahahaa

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

She was just trying to fool you into thinking her shoes only cost $250.

14. srivats

srivats Senior member

As requested:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Love the double oiled soles.

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^beautiful, thanks for posting

No worries, mate.

The heel and edge treament is bad-ass, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.