1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Nothing in our size Smoothie, I tried a few weeks back.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Lol. Awesome. Thanks mdubs; you are always on it!

3. chrisefi

chrisefi Senior member

Beautiful! I want those J Gilberts!

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

There's generally a good reason when something cost less. Although the 1Ks look great the leather they use is certainly a bit thinner than what they use on the Alden. My preference of the 2 overall would be the Indy boot. The only dislike I have about the Indy is that D*** free moving tongue. Get a cobbler to secure it for you and you'll have one heck of an outstanding boot. Either that for the same price range of the Indy take a look at some Custom White Boots.

1 person likes this.
  5. gastarbeider

gastarbeider Senior member

Do you wear any of them, or were they bought for filming purposes alone.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

I had a hard time deciding between the J.Crew Cadet and black LWB, so I bought both....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Great looking shoes, but why not have one of them in color 8?

8. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

My path to my first pair of shell Alden is not linear, apparently. And let me preface this by saying that I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of these shoes, was super bummed when UPS rescheduled delivery, etc. I say this so I'm not seeming critical, just disappointed...

I just got my J. Crew order of Color 8 LWB, and the shoes are COMPLETELY different colors. I mean, not even close. I couldn't believe how different they were, to the point where one is 4-5 shades lighter/redder than the other. I know there will be variation in a leather that is tanned as long as shell, but these were unwearably different!

I'm a bit surprised Alden let those out of the factory. Either someone isn't paying attention in quality control, or I don't understand something basic about shell.

Fortunately J. Crew is making it right-- the shoes were sold out at the online-fulfillment center, but they found one pair in a retail store and are overnighting them to me.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned that a retail pair may have been walked in and therefore creased on feet that are not mine? Help me think this through.

9. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

JCrew was able to find a #8 shell LWB in my size at one of their retail stores and had it shipped to me. They just arrived today but I'm not sure how I feel about them. I'm not as big on them as everyone else seems to be so I'm thinking of returning them. I'll have to reassess them in the daylight.

I was wondering though if they don't put brass eyelets on these? They just have the hole for the shoelace to go through with nothing around it. Couldn't that over time cause wear and enlarge the holes? I can't recall having a pair of Aldens before that didn't have brass eyelets on them.

10. MrHappyHappy

MrHappyHappy Member

I'll be wearing them all… just got them (Wolverine) this week.
    Alden & Red Wings are brushed & conditioned after each wear

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Both great shoes.

12. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

You make a compelling argument, nice pics.......the red lining is a nice touch I like the contrast. Your St Crispin's photos have me concerned for my financial condition, by the way

13. snesmario

snesmario Member

I have both in brown Chromexcel. There is a significant difference in quality. The Indys are fully lined while the Wolverines aren't, which you will notice in out of the box comfort. The Indys just feel better made but the Wolverines seem like they can take quite a beating. If I had to choose between the two and had to pay full retail I would choose the Indy

1 person likes this.
  14. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Thanks NY, I try not to think about the financial's, so long as the shoes look good! Lol

15. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Thanks JezeC, already have #8 in both LWB and SWB.

16. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Haha, that was my hunch.

17. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

There's a smart man. Why didn't I think of that? Beautiful pics, btw.

18. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Senior member

Thanks Doc, much appreciated.

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I remember when J Crew released the black cadet that a lot of people didn't like it. Including myself. But after having seen it in person multiple times and on the thread, I think it's a great shoe.

20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Plaza Indy for a day in DC...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.