***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

As an avid ebayer, I wouldn't bat an eye about purchasing from someone with a 100% and 68 rating. My only regret about this transaction is that I didn't see it first. Those are sweet.

2. amin

amin Senior member

need some advice regarding shoe care. I have got a few pairs of aldens now, should i have a separate brush & cloth for each pair for buffing?

I have got black, color 8, ravello and cigar so far

thanks for the help

3. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

My first 'shoe shot'

[​IMG]

Quite happy with my maiden voyage of shell purchases. Color 8 Alt Wien's from Epaulet.

4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Nice stuff man; they look killer! Are they from Lost and Found? I wanted to cop a pair but they are too similar to my CXL chukka...at least in my girlfriend's eyes :happy:

edit: Decided to pull the chute on the shell PTBs?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

5. deburn

deburn Senior member

Because its 100% you mean?

6. deburn

deburn Senior member

Good point about the 5 years. I didn't see that

7. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I have several brushes for several of my shoe finishes. Basically, I buy them and then label the top with a sharpie #8, Black, Neutral, etc...

I bought mine from Allen Edmonds. They offer a horsehair brush for $10 (made in USA) with free shipping. Occasionally they'll even offer 30% off shoe care.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF587_1_40000000001_-1

I hope this helps.

8. basilios

basilios Member

hey guys, I had a question about alden shoe care for you.

When i bought the alden indy boots i was given a bottle of the venetian shoe cream, i also have pecards and obenaufs that i use on my other shoes. Would these be ok for protecting my boots, or would you recommend i get something different? I just want to keep these boots looking as nice as i can they were my first big name shoe purchase.

9. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

I have been selling on ebay since 2005 and only have 108 feedback transactions. I'd be a little concerned if a seller was in single digit of feedback transactions, If there are issues or problems ebay and paypal always favor the buyer so there isn't much to be concerned about.

10. sazon

sazon Senior member

classy canuck : love the ensemble. ptb's looking great.

11. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Outstanding shawnc. Classy shoes. Now get your feet off of the desk and get back to work!

12. REguy

REguy Senior member

I think it's more like the Hampton. The Aberdeen is elongated whereas the Snap is more round and not even as pointed as the Hampton.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Wading through research on horse usage isn't my idea of fun, so I think we may need to agree to disagree. I do consider the original article on cordovan that started the whole conversation to be reputable, and I believe that it is saying that cordovan was considered a perfectly normal material for shoes and boots in the early 1900's. I believe that it is saying that the preferred material for boots in WWI was cordovan, hence the reason that more of them have survived than boots from WWII.

I wasn't saying that everyone in Europe had one or more horses and that they were necessary for daily life in the 1930's. Looking back at the original wording, I can see how that may have been perceived as what I was saying. What I did say (or mean to say) was that resources for shell were drying up by the 1930's. When I said that owning a horse or two was normal, I was referring to the time of WWI, which is when we originally debated on whether it was realistic to think that very many soldiers could be outfitted with cordovan boots. I stand by the reasonable estimation that before the 1920's this is entirely plausible and even probable.

As I said, wading through horse research isn't my favorite past time, but since I do enjoy history, here are a few closing thoughts:

The life expectancy of a domesticated horse is 25-30 years. If an article such as this: http://www.uctc.net/access/30/Access%2030%20-%2002%20-%20Horse%20Power.pdf which shows the dire situation of horse pollution and horse related accidents in cities at the turn of the century are as bad as they sound, then it is perfectly reasonable to assume that horses were still rather abundant by WWI. This short article is actually an entertaining read, by the way.

Another couple of interesting stats I came across:

"By 1920, only 3% of farmers in Oklahoma had obtained tractors."

"Agricultural historian R. Douglas Hurt asserts that only 30% of American farmers owned a tractor in 1945 and that tractors did not outnumber draft animals until 1955."

Horse meat was so prevalent in the 1920's US that horse slaughter houses started pet food companies as a means to dispose of the meat, and horse meat remained a major ingredient in dog foods through the 1940's.

Reference: http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/A/AG005.html

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Rishi Kakar: Would friends on the forum know if the Alden BB snap last used in its cap toe bluchers is more like the aberdeen last or more like the hampton last from Alden. Appreciate your help.

Alden equates it with the Hampton.

I really like the Snap. I prefer the Snap and the Aberdeen over the Hampton. But I have all 3.

15. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.