***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Makes enough sense to me. However, I'm not sure I agree with your historical analysis of the horse. By the 1920s more people were living in urban/industrial centers than in rural areas, at least that was the case in the US, Britain, Germany, Japan, and other developing/industrializing nations. In any case though, it is likely that horses were more prevalent back then, than now.

2. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I wouldn't, there some finishing you could only get in calf, to me the main appeal for shell is it doesn't scuff as easily and can take quite a beating, so I use it as rain wear...

3. deburn

deburn Senior member

Thanks Subutai. It's an interesting mix of products for sure, and the SA who was helping me seemed to know about Aldens as well as some New Balance sneakers! When was the Carmina sale?

Tampa, I'll look out for that video!

I tried on several Aldens to get a sense of the fit. I wear an 8.5D on C&J and AEs. Here's my notes from what I tried and what the SA George told me :

FD 901 black captoe 8.5D fit feels good

FD 911 tan captoe 8D fits but probably too small. SA said it's on the Hampton last which is narrow

FD 1494 suede chukka 8D Leydon last was too small. Guessing the 8.5D would be a good fit.

FD 11201 - Suede boots with a foot balance sole. 9D fits with slightly thicker socks (which makes sense since this is a casual boot). SA said this is a modified last like Barrie with a Flex Sole?? which is oil treated

I didn't buy anything because they didn't have any shell cordovans in my size but I got a good idea of the fit, for whenever they get more seconds in my size (I also ordered 3 AEs on the way home, black captoe, brown chukka and burgundy PTBs - all in shell :D )

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

4. deburn

deburn Senior member

Thanks MrSix. They did check for additional sizes in the back, but they were all out of shell cordovan in my size! That's a brilliant suggestion about trying out the Carmina lasts - I wish I'd seen it before leaving the store :)

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Uncle, your cigar NST's and argyles make one classy combo.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I am definitely partial to shell. But to go exclusively shell would mean, for all intents and purposes, having to forgo many fine English makers, including EG and JL. Variety is nice.

7. green garden

green garden Senior member

Thanks for posting. It's about time that other people are recognizing the demand and doing something about the shell shortage. Having said that, I am sticking with Horween. Those guys know how to make a piece of shell that shine.

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

9. forsan

forsan Senior member

Thanks gents; they've aged quite nicely. I've had the boots for just over a year now. Definitely my favorite pair.

A few coats of Obenauf's LP and Reno touch ups here and there. This is a few days after a first coat of Venetian shoe cream.

I'll try to get some other photos when the time permits.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Unc,
    Yes. These fit so well I just did it for one night. Usually, I spread it out over a few days, but I rushed these [​IMG]

11. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

It would probably never happen, but if Alden started sourcing Cordovan from Joseph Clayton & Sons (for example) and the quality remained the same, I'm certain lots of us wouldn't care about the whole "sticking with Horween" thing.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Here is a picture of the Polish Army on horseback, 1939:

[​IMG]

One of the many reasons that the German Blitzkrieg was so successful was because of it's mechanization which took place in the 1930's under Adolf Hitler. In other words, the rest of Europe was largely dependent upon the horse.

On a non-military note, obviously cars existed, but they were still reserved for the wealthy before the 1920's. Horses were extremely important for farm work well after that time.

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Always interesting, MWS. I think you need to change your name to "PostsWellPosted." [​IMG]

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Two things may happen that could change your mind(and others), when other tanneries try to possibly squeeze into Horween's monopoly on shell...
    A. Highly reputable makers like EG will source shell from a British alternative and will subsequently legitimize the new source.
    B. Other tanneries may prove their quality through other shoe makers that may not have the clout that EG has, but nevertheless, they'll get their product out there for consumers to see. Given the impact of social media (threads like this one), it will not be difficult to get the word out about great looking shell products.

I bet you'd seriously reconsider your position if or when great looking (non-Alden) ravello, #4, cigar shell PTBs/SW bals/ plaza-like lasted wt boots, etc... are currently available for $500 but sourced from another tannery, especially if the Alden wait time on any of those items is 24-36 months.

We can dream, right? [​IMG]

15. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Increased availability of "rare" colors, indeed. And while we are on the subject of history, perhaps someone can refresh my memory...but why does this "rare" shell "shortage" sound so much like Tulipmania to me?

[​IMG]

(I can't vouch for the accuracy, as it is from Wikipedia)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.