• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#4s are king for for me. Sorry guys. I like the reddish brown more than than the purplish brown of #8

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend, I agree with most of what you said. My only issue is with your assertion/assumption that people buy shell because "it will go the extra mile." I don't think people necessarily buy shell for its stronger more durable quality (at the very least I don't). Good year welted shoes calf or shell can last a very long time when cared for properly. As I said earlier, the way in which it creases and develops its own characteristic patina plays a large role for me. In any case, one does have to wonder why some of the best shoe makers in the world (J.Lobb, E. Green, etc...) produce so little of it, or none at all.

This article give some good insight into your last sentence: http://howtospendit.ft.com/mens-fashion/6955-plenty-of-horsepower

At the same time, it is certainly espousing the durability of shell.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice cigars Don L. Linen slacks maybe? Looking good.

great summer look donl

Very nice DonL... The sockless look with linen (I think?) pants is a solid summer staple. Wear in great health my friend!
BeSpif and MrDV -- I promise I didn't steal your comments. I suppose I should read ahead before posting. Great minds think alike!
smile.gif

BTW, love the #4 straight caps, cap tips, straight toes, etc...
stirpot.gif

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
venividivicibj: #4s are king for for me. Sorry guys. I like the reddish brown more than than the purplish brown of #8

While I completely disagree, there is a wise economic benefit to holding this position: you'll only have to buy a new pair of shoes/boots every 5 years or so*. :D

deburn

Reaction score

Look at their website.

:rotflmao:
Their prices for firsts are list. Just like pretty much everywhere else for pretty much every Alden.

Enjoy the visit. I've never had the pleasure of visiting TSM in person.

I did. I wasn't planning to buy an Alden anytime soon, so I hadn't researched it. An opportunity to visit TSM today came up unexpectedly so I'm going to buy 1-2 pairs assuming they have my size in seconds with little info and no time to do any research hence the seemingly lazy question - just shoe-buying excitement :)

Tampatravel thanks for the detailed PM

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: MoneyWS, thanks for bringing this article to the thread. As to the issue at hand (durability of shell cordovan), I may be mistaken, but the author of the piece seems to be equating shell cordovan with horse hide, which would be incorrect, right? The World War I boots were made form horse hide, not shell. Does shell cordovan possess the same durability qualities as horse hide? I don't know, but maybe you or someone else well-read in the industry could chime in to clarify.

As to the article addressing demand, a very limited # of tanneries processing shell, and the entry of a reputable British tannery entering the mix, this is certainly encouraging. Sounds like higher end British shoe makers want to get into the shell game (no pun intended). With Joseph Clayton & Sons moving to produce shell, maybe more tanneries will see the profitability and do the same. Could this mean more available shell? Reduction in price due to a potentially greater supply? I suppose all of this is contingent upon the availability of horses @rses. (BTW, Washingotn DC and American politics have an abundance, but that's another issue for another thread
smile.gif
). I guess we shall see...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MoneyWS, thanks for bringing this article to the thread. As to the issue at hand (durability of shell cordovan), I may be mistaken, but the author of the piece seems to be equating shell cordovan with horse hide, which would be incorrect, right? The World War I boots were made form horse hide, not shell. Does shell cordovan possess the same durability qualities as horse hide? I don't know, but maybe you or someone else well-read in the industry could chime in to clarify.

As to the article addressing demand, a very limited # of tanneries processing shell, and the entry of a reputable British tannery entering the mix, this is certainly encouraging. Sounds like higher end British shoe makers want to get into the shell game (no pun intended). With Joseph Clayton & Sons moving to produce shell, maybe more tanneries will see the profitability and do the same. Could this mean more available shell? Reduction in price due to a potentially greater supply? I suppose all of this is contingent upon the availability of horses @rses. (BTW, Washingotn DC and American politics have an abundance, but that's another issue for another thread
smile.gif
). I guess we shall see...

I had noticed that as well. I think it was just a poor choice of words, rather than ignorance of the author and his sources. He calls them cordovan later in the paragraph. I don't think Edward Green would be unaware of the difference either. Horsehide is definitely not equal to shell cordovan. The rest of the hide is used for other purposes, just as other leathers are. I don't know of any special durability that regular horsehide has over cowhide, and I don't think the statistic regarding the war boots would exist if they were simply regular horsehide.

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had noticed that as well. I think it was just a poor choice of words, rather than ignorance of the author and his sources. He calls them cordovan later in the paragraph. I don't think Edward Green would be unaware of the difference either. Horsehide is definitely not equal to shell cordovan. The rest of the hide is used for other purposes, just as other leathers are. I don't know of any special durability that regular horsehide has over cowhide, and I don't think the statistic regarding the war boots would exist if they were simply regular horsehide.
Why not?

While I think your poor-choice-of-words response could be true, I find it hard to believe that shell cordovan boots were mass produced for WWI soldiers given only one pair of shoes could come from one horse. It seems much more plausible that horse hides were used as the article actually reports. (I do recognize that I could be wrong here.) Also, I don't think EG desires to move into the shell market for its durability, but rather for its growing demand. Shells could be as delicate as silk, and EG would make them into shoes if there is demand at that price level. In any case, this was a nice piece to read.

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of those questions where the answer seems obvious but sine I couldn't find an answer on the web, I figured I'd ask the community in hopes that my expected answer is incorrect.

For those of you who use a deer bone to help maintain your shell's, do you have separate ones for each shade? Up to this point I've only owned #8's but recently picked up a pair of whiskey's.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not?

While I think your poor-choice-of-words response could be true, I find it hard to believe that shell cordovan boots were mass produced for WWI soldiers given only one pair of shoes could come from one horse. It seems much more plausible that horse hides were used as the article actually reports. (I do recognize that I could be wrong here.) Also, I don't think EG desires to move into the shell market for its durability, but rather for its growing demand. Shells could be as delicate as silk, and EG would make them into shoes if there is demand at that price level. In any case, this was a nice piece to read.

I should clarify that statement. What I was meaning was simply that I don't think more boots from WWI would exist than WWII boots if they were simply made from regular horsehide. I've never heard that regular horsehide is more durable than cowhide. If it were, I think it would be far more prevalent today.

I agree that EG isn't in it for durability. The more shoes they sell, the better off they are. However, the article is pretty clear that shell cordovan was a "normal" material for shoes and boots in Europe back then, before resources started drying up in the 1930's (most cordovan was produced in Germany). I think the article is definitely saying that cordovan was the preferred material for army boots at the time, for it's durability. Don't forget that horse meat and horses in general were far more prevalent back then when horses were the primary mode of transportation and were used for all kinds of work. It was a different time. Just about everyone owned a horse or two (or more). They were "necessary" for daily life.

Last edited:

Subutai

Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

Their prices for firsts are list. Just like pretty much everywhere else for pretty much every Alden.

Enjoy the visit. I've never had the pleasure of visiting TSM in person.

The store is actually very surprising, at least to me. It's located in the middle of nowhere Norwalk, CT and not close to the "downtown," if the one block of shops/restaurants qualifies as such. The store has always been relatively empty when I've gone, but I have gone at odd hours. I do believe a majority of their business must be online sales.
Half the store is dedicated random sneakers and flip flops. The other half, however, is exactly what you'd expect. Two full walls of Alden, with one dedicated to Shell Cordovan. They also have AE's and Carmina (which were on sale last time I visited.) As mentioned, Alden Irregulars line the back walls by size.
Best of all the SA's are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. No pressure sales here.

Enjoy the visit Deburn!

tampatravel

Reaction score
The day I was there, they were filming video of someone talking about certain Alden models.

I'd expect those will show up somewhere on the website in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads