***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

#4s are king for for me. Sorry guys. I like the reddish brown more than than the purplish brown of #8

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

This article give some good insight into your last sentence: http://howtospendit.ft.com/mens-fashion/6955-plenty-of-horsepower

At the same time, it is certainly espousing the durability of shell.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

BeSpif and MrDV -- I promise I didn't steal your comments. I suppose I should read ahead before posting. Great minds think alike! [​IMG]

BTW, love the #4 straight caps, cap tips, straight toes, etc... [​IMG]

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

venividivicibj: #4s are king for for me. Sorry guys. I like the reddish brown more than than the purplish brown of #8

While I completely disagree, there is a wise economic benefit to holding this position: you'll only have to buy a new pair of shoes/boots every 5 years or so*. :D

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Copley Last - Unionmade (But not in shell)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  6. deburn

deburn Senior member

I did. I wasn't planning to buy an Alden anytime soon, so I hadn't researched it. An opportunity to visit TSM today came up unexpectedly so I'm going to buy 1-2 pairs assuming they have my size in seconds with little info and no time to do any research hence the seemingly lazy question - just shoe-buying excitement :)

Tampatravel thanks for the detailed PM

7. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

RTP, never use the words "promise" and "steal" in the same sentence, maybe "I have no recollection of said misappropriation" would be less incriminating. :)

8. ReppTiePrepster

9. ReppTiePrepster

10. MoneyWellSpent

I had noticed that as well. I think it was just a poor choice of words, rather than ignorance of the author and his sources. He calls them cordovan later in the paragraph. I don't think Edward Green would be unaware of the difference either. Horsehide is definitely not equal to shell cordovan. The rest of the hide is used for other purposes, just as other leathers are. I don't know of any special durability that regular horsehide has over cowhide, and I don't think the statistic regarding the war boots would exist if they were simply regular horsehide.

11. ReppTiePrepster

Why not?

While I think your poor-choice-of-words response could be true, I find it hard to believe that shell cordovan boots were mass produced for WWI soldiers given only one pair of shoes could come from one horse. It seems much more plausible that horse hides were used as the article actually reports. (I do recognize that I could be wrong here.) Also, I don't think EG desires to move into the shell market for its durability, but rather for its growing demand. Shells could be as delicate as silk, and EG would make them into shoes if there is demand at that price level. In any case, this was a nice piece to read.

12. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

This is one of those questions where the answer seems obvious but sine I couldn't find an answer on the web, I figured I'd ask the community in hopes that my expected answer is incorrect.

For those of you who use a deer bone to help maintain your shell's, do you have separate ones for each shade? Up to this point I've only owned #8's but recently picked up a pair of whiskey's.

13. MoneyWellSpent

I should clarify that statement. What I was meaning was simply that I don't think more boots from WWI would exist than WWII boots if they were simply made from regular horsehide. I've never heard that regular horsehide is more durable than cowhide. If it were, I think it would be far more prevalent today.

I agree that EG isn't in it for durability. The more shoes they sell, the better off they are. However, the article is pretty clear that shell cordovan was a "normal" material for shoes and boots in Europe back then, before resources started drying up in the 1930's (most cordovan was produced in Germany). I think the article is definitely saying that cordovan was the preferred material for army boots at the time, for it's durability. Don't forget that horse meat and horses in general were far more prevalent back then when horses were the primary mode of transportation and were used for all kinds of work. It was a different time. Just about everyone owned a horse or two (or more). They were "necessary" for daily life.

14. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

The store is actually very surprising, at least to me. It's located in the middle of nowhere Norwalk, CT and not close to the "downtown," if the one block of shops/restaurants qualifies as such. The store has always been relatively empty when I've gone, but I have gone at odd hours. I do believe a majority of their business must be online sales.
    Half the store is dedicated random sneakers and flip flops. The other half, however, is exactly what you'd expect. Two full walls of Alden, with one dedicated to Shell Cordovan. They also have AE's and Carmina (which were on sale last time I visited.) As mentioned, Alden Irregulars line the back walls by size.
    Best of all the SA's are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. No pressure sales here.

Enjoy the visit Deburn!

15. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

The day I was there, they were filming video of someone talking about certain Alden models.

I'd expect those will show up somewhere on the website in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.