1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior Member

so what about those indys makes them seconds?

me today...
    [​IMG]

Nice choice GH!
    I really love my pair. They look great when they start scuffing too... there's a greenish cast that starts to show through.
    [​IMG]

I love your screen name and avatar too btw. I'm a native San Franciscan and grew up in the avenues so I have a strong fondness for the Great Highway.

2. GreatHighway

GreatHighway Senior Member

i cant wait until mine look more like that. and i love how the calf leather squeaks when i move my foot around in the shoe.

from SF too eh?! how you loving this heat today(if you still live here)? i am also a native, born on California St.

Ahab - thank-you sir. i kind of feel the same way but one of the points i made when i looked into Alden was to fill holes in my wardrobe. i was lacking a black boot (black shoes in general if im honest) and this was too appealing to pass up.

Peter - glad they worked out for you!

3. remainder

remainder Member

Just wanted to share a few photos of my Roys before they are passed on to a new caretaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GreatHighway

reason for selling/giving? just wondering. if you dont want to say i understand. theyre great

5. remainder

remainder Member

I'm selling for two reasons - I haven't worn them much lately, and I've taken on a new endeavour that requires a bundle of cash. They're great boots, comfortable, durable, and easy on the eyes. Hopefully someone else will get some enjoyment out of them.

6. skrooler

skrooler Active Member

What do you guys think of the kudu chukka boot? Thinking about getting it mainly for a nice winter boot.

Does kudu last as long as any other leather? I know you are not suppose to take care of it really (as in condition, polish)

7. GreatHighway

I'm selling for two reasons - I haven't worn them much lately, and I've taken on a new endeavour that requires a bundle of cash. They're great boots, comfortable, durable, and easy on the eyes. Hopefully someone else will get some enjoyment out of them.

Right-on. Yeah, looks like you loved them

8. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior Member

What do you guys think of the kudu chukka boot? Thinking about getting it mainly for a nice winter boot.

Does kudu last as long as any other leather? I know you are not suppose to take care of it really (as in condition, polish)

it's a decent boot in my opinion. not too pretty but it will hold up fairly well for winter. the leather is heavily oiled and thick. it's comparable to chromexcel... I think it is also by Horween but I could be wrong. the lug sole is probably the weakest aspect of the shoe... they seem kind of "foamy" and might not last very long. however, as with most aldens, they can be resoled.
    I would pick the kudu Indy over these myself but all in all, you should be pretty happy with the chukka.

9. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

Speaking about resoling...anyone here has personal experience with sending shoes back to Alden for a resoling job? If so, what did you think of the price/service/quality?

10. amlai

amlai Senior Member

I've used Alden's restoration service. It's far more than just a resoling. I wouldn't send my Aldens anywhere else, especially since they return the shoe to almost a like-new condition. Most importantly, they put the shoe back on the original last, which ensures the shoe fits like it originally did. Have a look here: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=5280 As you can see, they re-welted the shoe before resoling, and then redyed the shoes back to the original color. Here's another example: Pre (assuming imageshack starts working right): [​IMG] Post: [​IMG]

11. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

^Thanks for the post. I think you forgot to post up the 'pre' picture? Only one picture loads up from your post and the sole looks new which infers that it is the 'after' picture.

Also, how much did Alden charge you for the job and what's the turnaround time? Thanks again.

12. amlai

amlai Senior Member

The 'pre' picture link is right... imageshack is just acting up. Maybe it will start working later. Don't remember the cost, but it wasn't cheap. Might've been $150. Turn around time is long... I think 6 weeks?

13. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

$150 doesn't seem too bad on shoes that cost $400+.

How did you determine when to send the shoes in? The leather overall was in a bad condition or perhaps sole was wearing down?

I'll check out the pictures again tomorrow to see if they will show.

14. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior Member

in response to an earlier post, here are pictures of the Alden wingtips where I stripped the super dark brown edge dressing with rubbing alcohol and then applied some kiwi wax (forgot if it was brown or neutral) to the soles.

the other pair is how the sole edges look untreated.

[​IMG]

any questions please ask!

Thanks for the pics. I just might do this when my #8 Indy gets all faded and beaten up.

After Alden restoration, pretty close to new:
    [​IMG]

Damn... The more I see this, the more I like the machine stitched look over hand sewn.

15. srivats

srivats Distinguished Member

I've used Alden's restoration service. It's far more than just a resoling. I wouldn't send my Aldens anywhere else, especially since they return the shoe to almost a like-new condition. Most importantly, they put the shoe back on the original last, which ensures the shoe fits like it originally did.

Have a look here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=5280

As you can see, they re-welted the shoe before resoling, and then redyed the shoes back to the original color.

Here's another example:
    Pre (assuming imageshack starts working right):
    http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3...g2747sized.jpg
    http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9...g2754sized.jpg

Alden did a great job on these. They look lovely. I missed out buying these and regret it ... abderdeen last+cigar shell == AWESOME

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.