• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
X-post from another thread. A question on cordovan. I always hear that cordovan lasts forever-is this really the case? My dad has some Alden tassel loafers and he said that he replaces them about once every 10 years after 2-3 recraftings because they get quite beat up. I was always under the impression that cordovan is leather's "steel." Does anyone have any pics of their *own* shoes that are ten years or older that have been somewhat regularly worn (i.e. more than 50 times per year)? And I'm not talking about old stock. Thanks.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jer, the company that made these shoes , Keith Highlander , went out of business in the 1980s they have obviously been resoled at least twice

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from another thread. A question on cordovan. I always hear that cordovan lasts forever-is this really the case? My dad has some Alden tassel loafers and he said that he replaces them about once every 10 years after 2-3 recraftings because they get quite beat up. I was always under the impression that cordovan is leather's "steel." Does anyone have any pics of their *own* shoes that are ten years or older that have been somewhat regularly worn (i.e. more than 50 times per year)? And I'm not talking about old stock. Thanks.

Cross-post answer
biggrin.gif
Cordovan is unquestionably tougher and more wear resistant than calf. The number of recraftings that a Goodyear-welted shoe can take (no matter what it's made of) is limited. Every time the welt is removed and a new one is stitched on, the leather upper at the inseam becomes weaker and weaker. Think of it like tearing a solid piece of paper vs. a piece with a perforated line. The more perforations, the easier it is to tear. When they stitch on a new welt, the needle is just "machine gunning" through the leather, and it is undoubtedly making new holes and widening others. After this has been done a few times, it simply becomes too weak to keep being done.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of Uncle Mac's shells are 30+ years old and they look brand new. However, he has such a large rotation so that probably helps them stay looking new for so long. I can't imagine he wears the same pair of shoes more than 10-15 times a year.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is an interesting piece on the subject:

http://baus.net/alden-cordovan-af53-long-term-review/

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
blacksamurai30: Quick question, I sent a pair of Alden cordovan loafers in last wednesday using the recrafting service, when should I expect to hear back from Alden regarding the shoes?

A long time from now. :D

You will get a postcard that will give you an idea of when to expect them. But add at least 2 weeks.

July 26 was my 10 week date from the date of their acknowledgment of receipt. And the date of their acknowledgment of receipt was at least 4 days after they actually received them (I had tracking). When I checked last week I was told "They will be shipped out next week." So, in all seriousness, I don't expect them until next week, which will fall between 2 and 3 weeks after the 10 week date..

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
First photos of some of my new purchases. I hope to bring my Nikon in to take photos of all of my recent acquisitions on Thursday. But here is my first installment, the Unlined LHS in Color 8 from Brooks Brothers by Alden. I chose to photograph the left shoe due to the presence of the Horween stamp. Hope that you enjoy!

I guess they need a little polishing/cleaning already.

-Mike

tampatravel

Reaction score
Enjoy those LHS #8's. They are magnificent! I can't wait to see more pics.

blacksamurai30

Reaction score
Those are actually the exact pair I'm having re-crafted! I found them kinda beaten up for a steal. I'm excited to see how close they get to those pics
biggrin.gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First photos of some of my new purchases. I hope to bring my Nikon in to take photos of all of my recent acquisitions on Thursday. But here is my first installment, the Unlined LHS in Color 8 from Brooks Brothers by Alden. I chose to photograph the left shoe due to the presence of the Horween stamp. Hope that you enjoy!
I gue
ss they need a little polishing/cleaning already. -Mike
nephew, enjoy wearing your lhs in good health all they need is to be buff with a smooth cloth

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First photos of some of my new purchases. I hope to bring my Nikon in to take photos of all of my recent acquisitions on Thursday. But here is my first installment, the Unlined LHS in Color 8 from Brooks Brothers by Alden. I chose to photograph the left shoe due to the presence of the Horween stamp. Hope that you enjoy! I guess they need a little polishing/cleaning already. -Mike
Nice pick-up mdubs. It's the shoe responsible for my shell addiction. Wear them in the best of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads