***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thank you for the kind words be.

Thanks uncle.

Exactly what happened to me. I bought ls' blue suede sw a couple of months before leffot released these. I find the lw are more casual and I wear them more than the sw. I sold the sw and never looked back.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Doc,

Sorry if I steered you wrong back when you bought them by suggesting the C. Did you ever try on a pair in D? I wonder if the tightness would still be an issue? Or if you would experience heel slip at that width. Maybe the tightness will subside as your foot creates an impression in the the corkbed?

Have posted this before, but once this thread loosens, vamp tightness is no longer a problem for me on my 3 pairs.
    [​IMG]

4. REguy

REguy Senior member

These are great, but I thought they ran huge (probably due to them being CXL). Rather than sizing down by 1/2, I had to go a full size to get a good fit.

5. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Do you recommend to do this with something like a cigarette lighter or a candle?

6. Rishi Kakar

Uncle I saw this picture and was reminded of you. Uncle Mac in his immaculately polished black PTBs. To the ROTC days then!

[​IMG]

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I'll take either RTP. I'll take either.......

8. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

My sizing sounds similar to yours. I purchased an 8.5c and 8.5d unlined LHS from BB and found the D width to be a much better fit. The C's were just too narrow. Unfortunately, I ended up returning both as the D's I received were previously worn and creased pretty bad, but it was at least good experience sizing wise. Best of luck. I hope to have these in #8 soon.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

It has been the experience of some, including myself, that the unlined LHS fits more snug than the same size in a lined LHS.

If you have a chance to try on a lined LHS, give a C width a chance and it might just fit .....

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Guys, try to calm down. Frustrated is not a four letter word and I don't understand why I'm not allowed to get bothered by how long it has taken to get to the bottom of this topic. I'll point out that my original post expressed surprise by the confusion, but I didn't express frustration until after my original post only brought on more arguing. As I said originally, some of Alden's retailers are known to use the term Cap Toe. Alden Madison Avenue is another example, but they are privately owned and therefore they are using their own terms. I'm not saying that someone can't get confused. I'm saying that it is frustrating that it has taken such a long conversation, even after being shown what Alden calls their shoes, to get everyone to understand that this is a debate over semantics. You guys are apparently frustrated with me right now, and I'm not offended by your frustration. Perhaps extend me the same courtesy. I'm not passively aggressively saying to take your conversation elsewhere either. Again, perhaps extend me the same courtesy.

I think that just proves my point and shows why it is simply semantics. These retailers are fully aware of the fact that these are the same shoes. I have no problem with people calling them something different either, as I originally said. It is the confusion that has surprised me, and the annoyed response from when I stated that it is simply semantics. Nothing more, nothing less.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I know how you feel. I assumed that a crepe soled suede chukka would be more comfortable than the waterloc/flexwelt version. I'm already considering having Nick at B. Nelson replace the crepe with a waterloc/flexwelt. Note, they buy their waterloc/flexwelt soles from the same source as Alden. I don't find the crepe uncomfortable but its certainly not any more comfortable than flexwelt. I also find them to be so much heavier.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  12. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Hi Bakes First of all, thank you for recalling our exchange about the lhs, which occurred many moons ago. No apology necessary; you were not to blame. If anything, you've only been a kind mentor as I've been learning to navigate the sometimes perplexing world o Alden sizing. The 9c was not a total train wreck. I only notice the vamp tightness nowadays if I've walked quite a bit during a long day. There is now minimal heel slippage following the cork settling. The shoes remain wearable for sure. I was only saying that I think the 8.5d would have been more ideal. Not having gone with the 8.5 was completely due to my high grade Alden fever at the time (lhs was maybe my 4th or 5th shoe and possibly my first shell; I'm now 17 pairs in thanks to you enablers :) I was impulsive and should have taken Kathy up on her gracious offer to ship other sizes to me to confirm the best fit. Bakes, you were one of the gurus who counseled me to slow down and treat this as a marathon. I didn't get it at first, but now I'm so glad I listen to your sage advice as I no longer experience pains of regret post purchase (eg, I made the mistake of buying not 1 but 2 pairs of AE Larchmonts, ack!) And thanks for the info about that thread on the lhs!

13. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Match or lighter. You don't need much heat to get the job done.

14. Rishi Kakar

Thank you my friend

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would avoid using a candle, unless you want your shoes covered in molten wax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.