***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Notreknip: Hey guys - regarding sizing for LHS... (Which is impossible to search for by the way.)

Barrie Boots = 8.5D (pretty perfect)
    Barrie Shoes = 8.5D (slightly loose in heel)
    Plaza Boots = 9D (oddly, maybe slightly roomy overall)

LHS = ?? (I'm thinking 8.5C especially considering I'd like to wear them sockless much of the time)

Sadly, I don't really have the option of trying any on, so your advice would be appreciated even though I know sizing is extra difficult for loafers.

8.5C should work.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

RTP: I guess the discrepancy arises from the fact that I had been using information from the Alden SF and Madison websites (which I'm guessing you have reviewed) as well as conversations with Kathy at Alden DC. These Alden stores use the phrases cap toe and straight tip in the fashion that SFTG and I described it. The confusion comes from the apparent inconsistency in Alden's use of the terms. In any case, a discussion like this, on this particular thread should not be that big a deal. If our elementary questions and answers are bothersome/frustrating to you, you may just want to ignore. I do however thank you, my friend, for enlightening us with your knowledge. I hope you enjoy your weekend...

All I will add here is that I have found that using my descriptions (noted a few pages back) is well received by various Alden retailers and causes virtually no confusion. I don't claim to have the last word on this subject, and if another describes the shoes differently, that is fine. A good weekend to all. :fistbump:

3. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

Either that or suede, I ask them to notify me when they produce non standard Indy.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I have a pair of tanker boots with the crepe sole. I'm very pleased with them.

That's been my recent experience with Alden for warranty work, about three weeks. Plus, the factory staff was very responsive.

5. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i had been eye-balling those unlined brown cxl ptbs for a while, but have sworn off barrie lasted shoes due to fit issues (i have a narrow heel). however, while browsing the Alden SF website, i noticed that they offer up that particular size in a C width. so i'm doing a little sizing experiment - tts but down a width for the barrie last. worst case I'm out return shipping. and the fact that they are non-shell means i could possibly take a few steps in them without the fear of critical creasing.

as was mentioned many pages ago - the fact that alden offers this in C,D, and E widths seems to suggest that this is a factory style now, and not exclusive to any shop.

also of interest, i was in j. gilbert a week or so ago and yenni said that alden used to offer more combination last options, i.e. A/D rather than B/D, but for some reason they stopped. also if a unique style shoe is offered by a retailer, another retailer cannot reproduce.

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I believe I've also seen them on the UnionMade and Madison Avenue shop websites at some point. I know that wherever it was I saw them, I remember thinking that it was a really sharp looking shoe and would have bought it if they had it in my size. The LHS is one of the few styles that I don't have.

Edit:

TSM does seem to have a bunch of sizes in stock in the CXL LHS... including my size. Hmmm....

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...ds-17830_ald_m_leisure_handsewn_calfskin.html

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Wow, I didn't realize this was available in a C width...I may have to give it a try. Has anybody seen these in person? Real life pics would be great if anybody has them.

8. ironclad

ironclad Senior member

Thanks Shawnc. I do particularly love the antiqued #8 Brixtons.

As ReppTiePrepster said a few months ago, Uncle Mac's cigars always look like they have been dipped in liquid dark chocolate!

9. sevenfoldtieguy

Alden's tobacco chamois has a bit of a funky smell. For those of you that own it, does the smell go away after a period of time - weeks, months, etc.?

10. einstine

einstine Senior member

Where can I buy dust bags for my indy boots? a link would be great.

- Thanks

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I actually prefer the dark welt with the antique edge, but I know where you're going with this.
    [​IMG]

13. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

^^^^

have a pair of the jcrew crepe sole #8 LWB that I have been meaning to send off for leather soles to B Nelson. havent even worn them out the house once sadly

14. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I know 7ftg has already offered 8.5c as a possibility. Of course, he is a wise and gracious sage on this forum.

I just wanted to note that, along with the 8.5c, the 8.5D may be worth considering. I, too, am an 8.5d Barrie and 9d grant. When I bought my cigar lhs from AofDC, I decided to go grant minus one width and ended up with 9c. In the end, the shoe kind of fits, but if I could turn the clock back, I'd have gotten the 8.5d. The c width has ended up feeling a bit tight in the vamp for me. It may end up loosening a bit more, as I'm only about 9 or 10 wearings in. I'd prefer to see you not go through a tightness width-wise. I'm not worried length wise for you, as you already wear an 8.5 Barrie and Kathy at DC recommends going with your Barrie size for Van shoes.

Not contradicting 7, just saying your mileage may vary.

Best of luck with whichever size you choose!!

15. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Thanks 7FTG and Doc for the helpful suggestions!

Now, why do LHS seem to be around $100 more than tassels? That doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.