1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Very nice.

I always think Alden sells more shoes in Japan than in the US. Someone should probe that question with the international sales rep. (Mr. Nate Humble).... not that he is going to say anything.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Really cool, lots of great aspects to this make up

3. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

I was talking to one of the guys at LS and they confirmed this.

Unfortunately there is no demand for bigger sizes in the Japanese market so even if I (12D) wanted a pair I'd be out of luck!

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ why isnt there demand for bigger sizes in the Asian shoe market? ^_^

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I'm with you REguy, very interesting but not sure I would wear them. (... and I'm a longwing guy!)

6. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

In that same conversation at LS the sales associate commented that the Asian demand for shoes tends to fall into roughly a size smaller than the American market.

I am not sure if Japanese retailers stock 12D and up to be honest as I have never enquired, but I know LS tends to have a tougher time selling their big sizes (they have a huge Japanese clientele)

7. ReppTiePrepster

What are you trying to say about me and my Asian brothers, NAMOR!?! [​IMG]

I think my 10D barries and my 6 foot frame make me a bit of an outlier. (no offense taken here...)

8. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

I have only paid full price for 3 of my Aldens (cigar covers, leffot #8 unlined dovers and CXL LHS from Leathersoul).

Patience, consistent monitoring of this thread and retailer sites have helped me land several make-ups in the last year at 30% to 40% off including ravello NSTs, #8 chukkas on commando, tobacco chamois boots and brown CXL dovers (all brand new, 1st quality from retailers)....not to mention several other like-new models on ebay......including a pair of barely worn #8 LHS for $280 this afternoon....can't wait to get these guys in for the spring/summer!!!

kKeep looking, but if you see something you like.....BUY IT!

[​IMG]

9. eyeheartny

eyeheartny Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for the welcome! This thread has shredded my good judgment; I used the J. Crew discount and have a pair of burgundy shell LWB on the way. Once I got over the gut-churning total ($557 including tax) and realized that the cost-per-wear will be quite low if I keep them for 10 years, I'm starting to get excited. My first pair of shell and definitely the nicest shoes in my small-but-growing collection.

Important question: should I have a cobbler add rubber topy to the soles? I'd like to get the most wear out of them as possible and plan to have them on my feet quite frequently, and if some rubber will help them last longer I'll gladly have it done. I've done my reading on the Mac method and think I have a pretty good sense of how to care for these shoes other than the soles. Thanks for the kick in the pants to get these. I'll post pics when they arrive.

10. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Congrats! I'm not sure on what other shoes you have but you should give the shoes some time to rest. Even rotating them with one other pair of shoes will make a difference in their longevity. I have not had any topy added to my soles so unfortunately I cannot comment on how they might increase the life of the soles. You made a good choice with the 975's. I'm sure you'll be on the hunt for many more in the coming days!

11. ReppTiePrepster

(A) The gut-churning total of $557 is as cheap as you will find the 975. You may become desensitized to the sums of $ you will spend on shell cordovan in the future, especially if you continue to frequent this thread.
    (B) You have already taken the first steps in mastering the art of rationalizing the spending of these gut-churning totals! (cost per wear, that's pretty good; I haven't used that one yet)

Welcome friend, and enjoy your fabulous new pair of shoes!

12. irishcafe

irishcafe Active Member

we have about just about the same shoe size and height.

13. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

14. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Gah! Same here. No more!!! :)

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

16. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

That is a little too Halloween, pumpkin, orangey to appeal to me. Moreover, they are unusually wide. I am sure someone looking for an unusual and rare pair will be happy. Best of luck! Cheers.

17. ReppTiePrepster

I hate cold, wet, wintery weather! [​IMG] It does make for great Indy weather though. Stay warm and dry gents...

18. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Snowing here again which means its Bean boots for me today.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  19. dan138zig

dan138zig Senior member

do you think alden cordovan boots are a suitable upgrade from clarks db beeswax?

20. tylernim

tylernim Well-Known Member

I don't really know what the word suitable means here...but yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.