***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

It is not that hard. You slowly move the flame toward the edge of the thread. It will ignite - not a burning flame, more like a glow -- before the flame touches it: the heat will light the thread. The thread will burn towards the shoe slowly enough that you can watch it move toward the shoe and when the glow gets close to the shoe, extinguish it. Small threads can be difficult to cut, and I have found this to be foolproof.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

yeah, you win.

Anyone know if Alden makes NTL CXL LHS?

3. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I think I recall The Shoe Mart listing this. I could be wrong, however, and I have not double-checked.

4. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

FWIW, I currently have 16 pairs of shoes for sale on eBay. The one pair of Alden's have more bids/watchers than the other 15 combined. My point is that selling Alden's really doesn't seem to require much effort.

5. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Is that based on a Barrie size or TTS? I've been curious about this as well and have always had trouble fitting loafers due to my wide toes and low instep. If I could size down to a 12 (instead of a 13...they don't do half sizes past 10 or 11) and the toebox were still adequate, I might have a winner.

Thanks in advance.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Yes! and seeing that Michigan Planner wears 8E, I would LOVE if he decided to put some shoes up for sale [​IMG]

7. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Sir, my True to Size is 10.5C and have a variety of pairs in that size. For Barrie last, both boots and butchers, I go for 10D. Hope this helps, but yes the 10.5C point of reference definitely helps.

-Mike

8. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

If either of you gents wear a TTS 11d give me a shout.

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I guess the discrepancy arises from the fact that I had been using information from the Alden SF and Madison websites (which I'm guessing you have reviewed) as well as conversations with Kathy at Alden DC. These Alden stores use the phrases cap toe and straight tip in the fashion that SFTG and I described it. The confusion comes from the apparent inconsistency in Alden's use of the terms. In any case, a discussion like this, on this particular thread should not be that big a deal. If our elementary questions and answers are bothersome/frustrating to you, you may just want to ignore. I do however thank you, my friend, for enlightening us with your knowledge. I hope you enjoy your weekend...

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

MP,

I am still ready to lighten your load by one pair of Whiskey Indys. I am not sure if you still want to sell them? but I am ready and waiting if you are

11. ReppTiePrepster

In my experience they (C&J for RL) size similarly to the Alden Tassel moc

12. ReppTiePrepster

I would be happy with either one. They both look very cool and incredibly comfortable.

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks! Argh, just checked it and the smallest they carry is a 7D; I need 6.5D for the Van. I wonder if I reach out to Ed he could accomodate.

Unfortunately I'm on the other end of the spectrum (Barrie 6.5D). Harder to get shoes at the extremes.

14. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Hey guys - regarding sizing for LHS... (Which is impossible to search for by the way.)

Barrie Boots = 8.5D (pretty perfect)
    Barrie Shoes = 8.5D (slightly loose in heel)
    Plaza Boots = 9D (oddly, maybe slightly roomy overall)

LHS = ?? (I'm thinking 8.5C especially considering I'd like to wear them sockless much of the time)

Sadly, I don't really have the option of trying any on, so your advice would be appreciated even though I know sizing is extra difficult for loafers.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

fiestaplatypus: Is that based on a Barrie size or TTS? I've been curious about this as well and have always had trouble fitting loafers due to my wide toes and low instep. If I could size down to a 12 (instead of a 13...they don't do half sizes past 10 or 11) and the toebox were still adequate, I might have a winner. Thanks in advance.

I wear 9.5B in Aberdeen loafers (tassels/full straps).
    I wear 9C in Van LHS.
    I wear no insole with my loafers.
    I wear a thin insole with my laced shoes and generally wear 9.5D (9D in Barrie/TruB).

The C&J for RL shell tassels come only in D width. I have tried them in 9D (foot literally came out of the shoe with each stride) and 8.5D (still way too much heel slippage). The 9.5D would have been laughable.

But everyone has different feet - don't know till you try ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.